Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is. Dr. Aceves really THAT great?

Everyone has a vested interest in their surgeon. Its a very sacred thing. Its a bonding moment... i did not put and have never put any surgeon down, that is not in my nature. I will speak my mind and answer question as honestly as possible. Most of my post have nothing to do with my surgeon of choice! FYI he was my surgeon first, not my boss...so, I went through the process of choosing and struggling, just like everyone else here. The funniest part about all of this is, if I could of afforded Dr. Kim in Arlington Texas we would never be having this discussion. So, maybe you are being oddly prejudice against me. I wonder why....

I'm sorry but *ANY* form of advertising by our members is against our posted terms of service. Regardless if you're receiving commission from the surgeon or not - no exceptions.

Posting something like this is considered advertising:

I went to Dr. xxxxx-xxxxxx in Tijuana Mexico...total price with flight $xxxx. I now work for him if you need more information you can call or email me at info@xxxxxxxxx.com or call xxx-xxx*xxx.

But you are his coordinator! I saw all of your posts on the doctor Kelly thread you were working out dates with people....

"Hi everyone Yhis is Lora' date=' Dr. Kelly's new coordinator...Thanks for all the great feedback"[/quote']

Actually...I have to say, I never saw Lora push Dr. Kelly. She mentioned her surgeon. Nothing different from the rest of us. She addressed a forum that directly related to her employment. One in which I myself had voiced concerns about Kellys rotating staff. A new preop addressed Lora on the forum about scheduling.. She AND I suggested to the poster that personal scheduling should be addressed to her email address. Lora is a sleeve pt just like the rest of us. As long as she doesn't advertise openly, and directs misdirected questions to the email...I welcome her postop experiences. Jmho

Actually...I have to say' date=' I never saw Lora push Dr. Kelly. She mentioned her surgeon. Nothing different from the rest of us. She addressed a forum that directly related to her employment. One in which I myself had voiced concerns about Kellys rotating staff. A new preop addressed Lora on the forum about scheduling.. She AND I suggested to the poster that personal scheduling should be addressed to her email address. Lora is a sleeve pt just like the rest of us. As long as she doesn't advertise openly, and directs misdirected questions to the email...I welcome her postop experiences. Jmho[/quote']

Perhaps this topic should be taken up with Alex?

Perhaps this topic should be taken up with Alex?

I agree, as I just reread the posts and she even stated that whichever surgeon someone chose, she wished them luck. She was very noncomittal and PC in her own posts. I hate to think a fellow sleever would not be welcomed here for support due to another posters misguided request for information.

They deleted some of her posts..... Again Take it up with Alex.

Good day :)

[edit]

I apologize, that sounded a bit hard..

Wow. I don't think I was being rude OR confrontational. Just stating my view. I guess some ppl are just naturally defensive and inflammatory.

I can now see why there has been alot of talk about how this site has become very hostile and people leave. I had not seen it that way before. But I guess a few can ruin a good thing for all.

Have a good day to you as well.

I going to aceves feb. 25. How much money do you recommend bringing.

Hi this is something that I repost quite often and you might find it helpful.

Here is what I took and you might want to have when you pack for the Weight Loss Surgery with Dr. Aceves.

1. Gas-X because you will have gas after the surgery and they don't have Gas-X in Mexico. They (the nurses and doctors) will ask you are you passing gas? It is nice to have this on the plane ride home too after the surgery. I bought a box (of 36 tabs) of Gas-X (thin strips) that you just put the strip in your mouth. It tastes good and it is easy to take--no Water required—nothing difficult to swallow either.

2. A comfortable bra & panties--nothing very tight (cotton is nice—what ever you like to wear) to wear home on the plane or if you want to wear these items in the hospital. Everyone was pretty relaxed with what they slept in or wore around the hospital. I didn't bring a robe at all--Just T-shirts and comfortable pants. Maybe a sweatshirt because the air conditioner makes it cool sometimes and then there are times when the air conditioner isn’t working that well. Bring some extra T-shirts in case you spill on yourself. My IV came out and I got blood on one of my T-shirts. I just washed it out in the sink and hung it up in the shower to dry.

3. Drawstring pants or pants with elastic waist—nothing tight around the middle section. I had some Nike walking pants and they were very comfortable—or short, or pants you would wear to relax in. I also had some that I wore to sleep in, walk around the hospital in and wore them home on the plane too (a pair for each day you are going to be away from home). Sweatpants work great too. I was there in Oct and so the air conditioning was going and sometimes it was cool at night when I was sleeping--so I brought some warm socks along too. But in some rooms the air conditioning wasn't working so well in their rooms and they were warmer than some of us were. If it is too warm or too cold tell one of the nurses they will help you with anything you need. They are excellent when you need something—don’t be afraid to ask.

4. A heating pad--I was so glad I had mine (someone had suggested I bring one) because it felt good on my stomach area. When my feet were cold at night I used my heating pad on my feet. Also when I was there with a friend for her surgery in April 2009 I found out at the nurse’s stations they also had heating pads—so if you don’t want to bring your own use theirs.

5. Some kind of slip on shoe for the plane ride home and something to wear in the hospital (I had some flip flops for the hospital and some clogs for the plane ride home. Flip flops didn't take up a lot of room in your suitcase. I also carried on the plane my tote bag carrying some things like, meds, change of underwear—in case my suitcase got lost, a snack so I could eat something after the tests that first day you arrive—because they will tell you not to eat a few hours before you get to Mexicali because of the tests you are going to be having upon arrival at the hospital in Mexicali. Sometimes you have to wait for everyone to have their test before they take you to the hotel and your are soooooooo hungry because you haven’t eaten anything all day long because most of us are flying into San Diego, so bring a snack that you can eat after your tests while waiting to go to the hotel. I brought along some packages of trail mix—bring what you like.

6. Only one (1) small or medium sized suitcase with wheels is really great because you will have to deal with your own suitcase at the airport (coming and going). I also brought along my laptop computer so I could stay in touch with my friends and family—I carried that on the plane too—don’t put it in a suitcase—too much stuff has been stolen out of suitcases.

7. Please be aware if you use your cell phone in Mexicali they will charge you roaming fees to CALL OUT. For me if people called me from the US to Mexicali and they were calling my Cell Phone there were NO ROAMING charges because they called me from the US. Most all cell phones work in Mexicali; I think they said Cricket was the only Carrier that they had problems with. I didn't have anyone come with me for the surgery, and they were so nice as to call someone (in the US) for me after surgery and let them know that I was doing great.

1. I brought my own favorite small pillow with me (almost sofa size). It was nice to have it while I was in the hospital and on the plane ride home.

9. As far as money someone suggested I bring about $45.00 to $50.00 in one's so that I could have them for tipping—they all accept US money in Mexicali. I tipped Van driver $25.00 who picks you up and takes you to the hospital, takes you to the hotel, takes you back the hospital for surgery and then back to the San Diego airport. He takes such good care of everyone and I tipped him at the end when he took me back to the airport to go home. I also tipped the hotel guys for taking my bag to my room, and when I had dinner that night at the hotel. I would also bring along a small gift for 4 or 5 nurses or give them a little cash—I understand they really don’t make a lot of money and they might appreciate the cash as a gift. I would suggest that you take enough money or Credit Card or Debit card to purchase the medication that you will need after the surgery. There is a pharmacy about 1/4 block from the hotel--anyone at the hospital will tell you where it is—it is a easy walk. The Nexium that Dr. Aceves suggests you take after surgery for acid reflux for about 3 months cost a lot less —don’t forget they will negotiate over the price of medication in Mexico –even when it is at a pharmacy-they will give a price and then ask them “if I buy 4 boxes will you sell it to me for—ask for a lower price. This medication costs a lot less in Mexicali than in the US—so don’t forget to buy it while you are there. I also bought Prilosec because some people had told me that Nexium did work for them—as it turned out I was one of those people that Nexium didn’t work that well on and so I was glad that I purchased Prilosec.

10. Do not take any jewelry with you or wear any. All I took was my watch. Leave ALL other jewelry at home.

11. Be prepared if the Van driver may be late sometimes picking you up--find a place to sit down in the baggage area where they said he would pick you up. Make sure you can see people walking in that area and he will come walking down through there with your name on a sign holding it up. He will have you back at the airport on your return trip home in plenty of time to catch your plane ride home.

12. Bring a camera along to take some pictures of yourself in the “before stage” and maybe a group picture of the other people who are going to have the surgery the same day you do. I have kept in contact with them. You will be so glad you have done this. Take lots of pictures. People really do enjoy seeing the pictures if they are considering doing this surgery.

13. Don’t forget the personal things like toothbrush, Shampoo, soap that you may want to use in the shower, a razor, cream rinse for you hair—maybe a hair curler and hair dryer if you want I don’t know if you want to bring make-up—I did, because I wanted to look ok going home on the plane. Yes, we used their Water to take a shower—it is ok for showers… they do give you bottled water to drink.

14. I brought along a book I wanted to read along with my Ipod, so I could listen to my own music. You may or may not get a lot of reading done because you might want to take some nice naps too. Getting up and walking around is good for you and it makes you feel a lot better too.

15. Bring along some chap stick for your lips—they dry out and it is good to have something to put on your lips.

If anyone else can add anything please jump in here and help me out! I know you are worried about a few small things and I can tell you not to worry because we all have been where you are. Just keep posting to the web site-- anything you want to say or ask. We all understand and have been where you are right now. I wish you GREAT success and it will be a life changing event and in about 2 months you will be saying the same thing too.

Also Linda adds that when they make you drink the vile stuff to make sure your new stomach has no leaks don’t for get to ask for chips of ice. It numbs your taste buds because they are so cold and you can drink their YUCK stuff. She did it and it worked great for her. I didn’t know about it and I wished I would have. I think they do this on the 3 day before you go home.

Suzanne

This is what someone else added to what I put on my list--you never can have too much help or information

I wore and underwire.....so I didn't get that message! I also brought a robe...for sure and maybe flip flops or slippers for doing lots of walking after the surgery. They give you those hospital gowns, but the day after the surgery, I was in my own pjs that were button down the front and elastic band capris...something easy to slip in and out of. Suzanne says-- I put my on PJ’5 on after the surgery when I got up to go to the bathroom.

I would definitely take a comfy pillow for on the plane ride too. Just don't over pack! You will need very few things....one outfit for the day you arrive and one for when you leave and just the PJ’s for comfort.

You may need to have something on the plane ride....maybe some tea from Starbucks or get some hot water and add some chicken broth to the hot water--(take chicken broth packets from Top Ramen Noodles works great for the Chicken broth. You most likely won't be hungry at all....but just in case......a clear broth with water works.

I realized that most of the stuff that I brought, I didn't even need.....so pack light! You will mostly be walking the halls of the hospital!

The best of luck to you! You will do great!

I'm sorry but *ANY* form of advertising by our members is against our posted terms of service. Regardless if you're receiving commission from the surgeon or not - no exceptions.

Posting something like this is considered advertising:

I went to Dr. xxxxx-xxxxxx in Tijuana Mexico...total price with flight $xxxx. I now work for him if you need more information you can call or email me at info@xxxxxxxxx.com or call xxx-xxx*xxx.

I tend to agree, she does have a vested interest in getting anyone to go to her doctor. I loved my doctor and I can ONLY speak about my experience and why I picked him. I have taken a lot of heat from some people because of what I have said about him. But, I am only speaking about what I know about him and how I was treated while under his care, and the research I learned before I made the choice to have him do my sleeve surgery. But, if she works for him, then I see that as a conflict of interest. Suzanne