Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in 10 Days - Can't sleep with my CPAP

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea during my pre-op testing. Now I'm 10 days from surgery April 18th and I cannot sleep with the mask on! It's making me crazy. I'm told my hospital will not allow me to refuse my mask after surgery, but I can't sleep a wink with it. Either it's so loose it develops a leak every time I move (pssssssssssttttttttt) or so tight it hurts. There's no in-between.

I'm on my third mask and severely sleep deprived!

Help?

Been there done that, luckily (or not) I had surgery in Mexico and simply did not bring the CPAP machine. They asked about it but didn't pitch a fit and just left me alone. Didn't sleep worth a dang because by that time I was just the opposite, couldn't sleep WITHOUT it. After I've lost 100+ pounds I just could NOT get it to fit right, the shape of my face / head was so different. I had to put so much upward pressure on it the upper band cut right across the corner of my eye - bugged the hell out of me. For a while I would sleep with my hand on it and wake up with cramps every few hours. Recently I decided to go cold turkey and stop using it, I've dropped to a weight level that I probably don't have apnea any more. I really don't want the expense of another sleep studdy, the original I had ended up costing me like $800 in co-pay, deductible and out of network overages. PLUS the monthly co-pay for the CPAP "rental" for 12 months. These sleep doctors like to make the big $$$'s and they stay out of network so they can grab all the cash they can.

I was seriously considering this mask : http://www.directhomemedical.com/masks-cpap-bipap/fitlife-fullface-cpap-mask-respironics-mylife.html or this one http://www.directhomemedical.com/masks-cpap-bipap/total-face-mask-cpap-bipap.html , they both look like something from Avatar :lol:

The best solution I can suggest is to ask for a sleeping pill, the pain killers they give you should also help. Sleep away and let the air spray out where it wants.

Interesting. They wouldn't let me use my cpap right after surgery. How long have you had it. Took me a while to get used to it. I had trouble at first like yoy Virginia and switched to a mask thst has a kind of suction effect. Sticks to the face without having the bands real tight. Hopefully by summer I won't need it any more. I'm like rootman though on thst I dnt want another test.

How did it go? Im having surgery on Thursday and im worried about if they will make me wear my Bipap during my hospital stay. I haven't gotten used to it at all, and im worried!

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea during my pre-op testing. Now I'm 10 days from surgery April 18th and I cannot sleep with the mask on! It's making me crazy. I'm told my hospital will not allow me to refuse my mask after surgery, but I can't sleep a wink with it. Either it's so loose it develops a leak every time I move (pssssssssssttttttttt) or so tight it hurts. There's no in-between.

I'm on my third mask and severely sleep deprived!

Help?

i at first had the leaking problem but once it fit properly i slept like a baby. mine only covers my nose, and i also cant have surgery without it. maybe u have a poor fit. the lady came to my house and set it all up for me so i knew it was right, i went through my local VNA maybe you could try that?:(