Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Kelly patients leak tests?

Hello,

I was wondering how many leak tests you had with Dr Kelly? Did you feel your pain and nausea were well managed? Were you offered something for your nerves before surgery?

Thanks!

Kelly

I had one leak test 2 days after surgery. My pain and nausea was managed very well. And no I didn't take anything before surgery but I should of I was a hot mess. I'm sure he would of but I didn't even think to ask.

I was sleeved by Dr.Kelly March 15,2011. I had one leak test the 17th,the day I got out of the hospital and went to the hotel.(A very NICE 5 star hotel). He gives a copy of the test on an xray film to take with you for your own records.(Which I thought was pretty cool).

I personally wasn't offered something for nerves, but another lady there getting surgery the same day asked for something and they

did indeed give it to her.

I had a rough time coming out of anesthesia (pain and nausea)but that's just me. The nurses and doctor did a fabulous job of getting my pain and nausea under control and were always 'johnny on the spot' with it the rest of my time there as well.

I have nothing but great things to say about Dr.Kelly and his staff,nurses,...everyone I encountered down there. I would go back

for medical treatment ANYTIME. I had the utmost confidence in Dr.Kelly and I always felt comfortable with him (after the initial surgery

jitters). My experience was a great one and I hope your will be too! Good luck!

Thank you Miters36 for your response. I am glad you had a wonderful experience. Dr Kelly seems like a really caring dr.

I was sleeved on March 1, 2011 by Dr Kelly. I was given 2 leak tests, which I believe he gives to everyone. The first is done immediately after the surgery while you are still knocked out so most don't even realize they were given that one unless they are told afterwards or they ask about it. The second was done 2 days after surgery just before being released to the hotel.

My pain and nausea was managed very well. Anytime I felt pain all I had to do ask for the meds. I was very lucky and had no nausea. However, there are some who will have more nausea than others and may need additional help with that. It is different for us all.

I was and still am very happy I went to Dr. Kelly.

I had surgery on March 15th (along with Miters36) with Dr. Kelly. I experienced no nausea. My pain was well controlled. I only had two injections for pain, they were after I woke up from surgery. These injections worked very well, they were non-narcotic, it was toradol. I have had no problems since the my surgery. You will just love Dr. Kelly, he had a great bedside manner. My leak test was done two days after surgery just prior to going to the hotel. I have lost a total of 16lbs post surgery. I have now entered my "stall" but am keeping a good out look on my loss. What other diet has you losing 16lbs in 3 weeks? The staff at the hospital and hotel are just wonderful. If you choose Dr. Kelly, you will not be disappointed. Good luck to you.

Thanks for your reply Ampsgirl! Sounds like you had a good experience, and your weight loss is great! Congrats! Everyone seems to like Dr Kelly a lot. This is very reassuring.

I was sleeved on 3.28 and was the last to go for the day at 6:30 pm. I wasn't nervous until they started wheeling me down the hall and then I kinda freaked out. I wish I had asked for something like an hour before surgery. I'm sure they would have given it to me.

I had the same leak tests, 1 right after surgery and the other one 2 days later. I didn't think the liquid tasted as bad as my other 3 sleeve buddies, but Trish gave us a 'bariatric taffy' to eat right after and that cleared the taste.

My pain and bad nausea were managed really well. I had a hard time coming out of the anesthesia (felt very short of breath, and nausea, and super low blood pressure) so they put an oxygen mask on me until the next day which helped alot! However, since my blood pressure was so low, they couldn't give me the Torodal (which lowers BP too). They gave me something else and it did take the edge off, though I was still feeling pretty bad-I'm sure just normal 'major surgery pain'. Nothing I couldn't handle, but I was still very aware of the pain. The next day when my BP was back up, I was given Toradol and felt much better. I felt waaaaay better once the drain was out though.

I would highly reccommend Dr Kelly, Trish and the wonderful staff to anyone!

Thanks for replying! I will probably need something if they will give it to me. But I also feel that way about flying lol. I'm sorry you had difficulty with anesthesia, thankfully you got better quickly.

Actually we all have 3 leak tests but 2 of them are under anestesia (dye and air) and 1 of them is the barium that we do just before discharge.

My pain and nausea were very well managed. It does not mean there was no nausea and no pain and it is impossible. It means I was promptly attended when i had any nausea or pain and also that medication was given continuously to prevent both. You still have nausea when waking up from surgery and a fee times during the hours after it. It is normal and expected. You still feel some pain when you move which is also expected and cannot be totally eliminated. The discomfort from the drain only goes away after the drain is removed. The feeling is odd as if everything was too full and too tight inside (which is the case). You should not have other kind of pain and if you have they will give you meds. They did not use narcotics which is a very good thing and will help you stay awake to walk and sip and recover faster.

Hope it helped.

Actually we all have 3 leak tests but 2 of them are under anestesia (dye and air) and 1 of them is the barium that we do just before discharge.

My pain and nausea were very well managed. It does not mean there was no nausea and no pain and it is impossible. It means I was promptly attended when i had any nausea or pain and also that medication was given continuously to prevent both. You still have nausea when waking up from surgery and a fee times during the hours after it. It is normal and expected. You still feel some pain when you move which is also expected and cannot be totally eliminated. The discomfort from the drain only goes away after the drain is removed. The feeling is odd as if everything was too full and too tight inside (which is the case). You should not have other kind of pain and if you have they will give you meds. They did not use narcotics which is a very good thing and will help you stay awake to walk and sip and recover faster.

Hope it helped.

Hope it helped.

See, I didn't even know about the air leak test. The number of leak tests was something I actually meant to ask about before surgery but I was so freaked out that my mind was completely blank! I didn't ask any questions at all. I'm not a very good surgery patient in that respect!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the drain is also used to check for leaks while you are recovering in the hospital. I think it will show the blue dye if you have a leak. Is that correct or just my imagination?

Very very helpful thank you so much!! I am just trying to be fully prepared. I have had 2 children, hysterectomy, tonsilectomy, laporascopic cholecystectomy (gall bladder) so I'm no stranger to this stuff. Of all those, the tonsils were the worst. Except for my children, all my ops were done in my 40's! I am hoping it's comparable to the gall bladder since that was done lap and it was my easiest recovery. I really appreciate everyone sharing info with me!