Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm doing this. 3/29/2011

I quit smoking. I stopped drinking caffeine. I am blowing up these silly little balloons every day. I have a passport. I bought a round trip ticket, first class. I checked as reasonably as I could into insurance options when I got home. I am doing the pre-op lowcarb diet. Saturday I'm going to purchase a money order since I couldn't get my credit card limit raised since I just moved. I made a plan to stay with my family for the first ten days after I get home just so somebody would be around. I bought slippers and some slouchy pants to walk around the hospital with, GasX strips, and ordered Protein drinks and a pitcher from Amazon. I still need Jello and broth. I have a ride to the airport. I have a ride home from the airport.

I think I'm actually doing this!

I might be a little optimistic about how miserable I'll feel afterwards. Also I specifically *planned* for this to happen after my TOM and wouldn't you know it, the darn thing hasn't come yet.

Neither of these things is enough to make me chicken out. Plus I've never flown first class before -- the trip is about 4.5 hours. I'm looking forward to the happy pills, lol. Mostly I'm just stunned at my audacity.

In the past two years I've looked into all kinds of weight loss options. Fat camps. Did you know there's a place in Utah that will put you on the HCG diet if you stay a month and give them twenty thousand dollars? Also The Biggest Loser camp in utah -- 15,000. You can go to a spa in California where some guy will feed you tuna and crackers every three hours and "reshape your body": 25,000 dollars. Hiking, touchy-feely camp in Vermont: 18,000. We Care spa, where Mariah Carey went once: 20k to live in a desert cabin and make your own vegetable juice, all other services extra. Raw food retreat -- 5,000 a week. The Raj Ayurveda Panchakarma spa: 700 a night.

Nutrisystem: 400 a month times a year is 5k, if you stay on it.

Medifast is about the same no matter what they say.

Jenny Craig, oh my lord. Initiation fee of 500 dollars plus about 150 a week.

I am just tired of this, you know? At the supermarket every women's magazine is really a diet magazine touting a "miracle breakthrough." I was in the deli section and there was a book caarousel there with a book on it called " The TEA Diet."

So think about this. Think about all that money, all that time, all that reading, all that measuring, taping, weighing, the "consultations", the "meetings", the late night infomercials, the exercise tapes, the before and afters, all that time, years and years of life wrapped up in this obsession that NEVER gets solved. I mean look I can love my body and allow myself to be loved and adore my ankles and all that but this will not make me a thin girl.

I found one thing that really will and it will cost me eleven thousand dollars, an enormous amount of anxiety, some literal pain and after that? all that, up there? Gone. FOREVER. And I am really doing it.

Congrats!!!! I am very happy for you!!!!!!!! and you are absolutely right about these fad diets that only work temporarily... Good luck on Tuesday!!!!!!!

Good for you for really doing it! I am in the beginning stages of my journey, just 2 weeks out and I am already so glad I did it. It is hard, for sure, but I am losing and it's getting easier every single day.

There will always be naysayers no matter WHAT decisions you make, but I can assure you, from personal experience, there is no 'assembly line' feeling whatsoever with Dr. Aceves and his team.

Good for you also for getting first class tickets. Gonna be an easy trip. Good luck to you!smile.gif

Please do - I'm enjoying the read! Good luck to you on this wonderful journey ,

Love reading your posts -- you're right on the ball!! My surgery is scheduled also for 3/29 -- keep the posts coming - it'll be interesting to see how you're doing at the same time as me. Good luck!!

Yep, I enjoy reading your posts too. U funny!!:D

Good luck on your journey to a happier, healthier you. IT IS SO WORTH IT AND SO ARE YOU!!!

Deb B)

I actually DID go to The Biggest Loser camp in Utah for a month. Cost me thousands,exercised six hours a day, less than 1200 calorie diet, lost 13 lbs. 13 LBS! Now, I was stronger, more flexible, and had more energy and endurance at the end of the month, but I was not thin, and over the next year the 13 lbs came back with 10 more added.

My first month with the sleeve I lost 18 lbs and walked about a half-hour each day. I am still losing. Crosswinds, you are doing the right thing.

You MUST keep writing to us! My surgery is April 8th and I wish I could be on that plane first class with you and get it over with! I just have to drive 15 miles away for mine-----yours is quite an undertaking! Good luck to you! Write more! Publish a book! You're terrific! I hope it is as easy as it all can be for you ( and, of course, for ME< too! )

I quit smoking. I stopped drinking caffeine. I am blowing up these silly little balloons every day. I have a passport. I bought a round trip ticket, first class. I checked as reasonably as I could into insurance options when I got home. I am doing the pre-op lowcarb diet. Saturday I'm going to purchase a money order since I couldn't get my credit card limit raised since I just moved. I made a plan to stay with my family for the first ten days after I get home just so somebody would be around. I bought slippers and some slouchy pants to walk around the hospital with, GasX strips, and ordered Protein drinks and a pitcher from Amazon. I still need Jello and broth. I have a ride to the airport. I have a ride home from the airport.

I might be a little optimistic about how miserable I'll feel afterwards. Also I specifically *planned* for this to happen after my TOM and wouldn't you know it, the darn thing hasn't come yet.

Neither of these things is enough to make me chicken out. Plus I've never flown first class before -- the trip is about 4.5 hours. I'm looking forward to the happy pills, lol. Mostly I'm just stunned at my audacity.

In the past two years I've looked into all kinds of weight loss options. Fat camps. Did you know there's a place in Utah that will put you on the HCG diet if you stay a month and give them twenty thousand dollars? Also The Biggest Loser camp in utah -- 15,000. You can go to a spa in California where some guy will feed you tuna and crackers every three hours and "reshape your body": 25,000 dollars. Hiking, touchy-feely camp in Vermont: 18,000. We Care spa, where Mariah Carey went once: 20k to live in a desert cabin and make your own vegetable juice, all other services extra. Raw food retreat -- 5,000 a week. The Raj Ayurveda Panchakarma spa: 700 a night.

I am just tired of this, you know? At the supermarket every women's magazine is really a diet magazine touting a "miracle breakthrough." I was in the deli section and there was a book caarousel there with a book on it called " The TEA Diet."

So think about this. Think about all that money, all that time, all that reading, all that measuring, taping, weighing, the "consultations", the "meetings", the late night infomercials, the exercise tapes, the before and afters, all that time, years and years of life wrapped up in this obsession that NEVER gets solved. I mean look I can love my body and allow myself to be loved and adore my ankles and all that but this will not make me a thin girl.

I found one thing that really will and it will cost me eleven thousand dollars, an enormous amount of anxiety, some literal pain and after that? all that, up there? Gone. FOREVER. And I am really doing it.

I'll tell you what is really nice now, and a COMPLETE change from life before the sleeve: I receive both Health and Glamour magazines. Every time I see a story about losing weight or a new diet, I don't even read it. I don't need to! I just think to myself - "you're at a healthy weight now - don't worry about it anymore".

It has taken my brain awhile longer to catch up with my body - and I've been maintaining for over 6 months. It's amazing to me that I don't have to spend any more of my precious time or energy thinking about all those weight loss programs and diets. You will be so happy to be "on the other side" and focus on LIFE - no more worrying, stressing, or beating yourself up over what you eat.

Best of luck with your surgery!!

I love your post and you'll love your sleeve!! Good luck to you and keep us posted :D

I actually DID go to The Biggest Loser camp in Utah for a month. Cost me thousands,exercised six hours a day, less than 1200 calorie diet, lost 13 lbs. 13 LBS! Now, I was stronger, more flexible, and had more energy and endurance at the end of the month, but I was not thin, and over the next year the 13 lbs came back with 10 more added.

My first month with the sleeve I lost 18 lbs and walked about a half-hour each day. I am still losing. Crosswinds, you are doing the right thing.

Holy crap! You went there? Man, I thought and thought about getting out there and spending that money. But I just knew what was going to happen. I knew I would buy all new exercise clothes and whatever supplements they were selling and be fat a year later. Oh PLUS I'd be telling everybody, I'm going to the biggest loser camp, yeah, spent fifteen thousand dollars, hm? Oh, well, I gained it back. You know, that kind of program is hard to keep up with on your own...

I'll tell you what is really nice now, and a COMPLETE change from life before the sleeve: I receive both Health and Glamour magazines. Every time I see a story about losing weight or a new diet, I don't even read it. I don't need to! I just think to myself - "you're at a healthy weight now - don't worry about it anymore".

It has taken my brain awhile longer to catch up with my body - and I've been maintaining for over 6 months. It's amazing to me that I don't have to spend any more of my precious time or energy thinking about all those weight loss programs and diets. You will be so happy to be "on the other side" and focus on LIFE - no more worrying, stressing, or beating yourself up over what you eat.

Best of luck with your surgery!!

Texas, I know exactly what you mean. You know I had a thought last night. I wonder how many of those celebrity chicks have already had bariatric surgery. Some of these women...I'm thinking...okay how are you still 111 pounds at age 41? What are they eating? Their own hair?

:) Just a thought.