Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you do it again or choose another option?

If you could go back and do it over? What would you do?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. If you could go back and do it over? What would you do?

• Lap Band is perfect for my needs and I would do it again.
    • I would do a bypass surgery or the switch. They seem to work better.
    • I would diet and exercise.
    • I don't really know what I would do. I am still confused what is best.

Definitely would go with the band again. And I'm a "turtle" as it were... I lost at a good pace at first, but for the last few months I've been stalled. I just got a good .5 cc fill and hopefully that'll help.

But still, the stall is a stall, not a rapid re-gain of my weight lost! With a "regular" diet, I'd have regained it all by now and then some. Or be well on my way anyway.

(and NewSho -- congratulations on 154 lbs lost in one year!!! I won't preach at ya though girl, because I know about the frustration of looking at how much is left to lose and getting discouraged. I am looking forward to hearing how you feel about the band when you do reach goal)

I'm still kind of new, I was banded 3/14/06, but I have not regretted it one minute. Not even when I pb, not even when I slime (I've been a slow learner with new habits). It's the best thing I've ever done for myself.

This question caught my eye, because I am battling with the decision now.

I started at 450 lbs, but they won't do the lapband till I am 327 (BMI 40 or lower). I've been eating what the banders eat, really to get my body prepared for what was ahead. Actually, I love the Protein drinks, fruits, veggies, and have adjusted to the portions. I've lost 56 lbs since March.

So, with still 67 lbs to lose before I can get the band, do I need it? If the lap band is a "tool", and I have succeeded in changing my habits and lifestyle to be healthy -- do I need the band?

I wasn't an overeater, but an unhealthy eater. I lived of soft drinks, fast food, and candy. I no longer desire these things.

I do LOVE LAPBANDTALK, because even with my diet/exercise, y'all keep me motivated. I guess I will make the decision when I reach 327.

Hey Joyce I started at 458 and at my last weigh in was 393. The lap band is a good tool for the future for so many people. It is helping me because of Portion Control. LBT is keeping me motivated to exercise.

I am 1 year and almost 2 months out, I've lost 86 pound and through all the ups and downs, PBing and slimes, couldn't eat and could eat anything. Would I do this again? YES, YES & YES AGAIN!!!

Not once have I ever considered any of the other surgeries and I must say, it's been a hard year. I have worked with and against my band and it has let me know through weight lost and weight gain but I do LOVE my BAND and wouldn't trade it for anyother WLS other than doing it myself, which I couldn't do.

Have you considered talking to a different bariatric doctor? I know there are people who weight what you do and have had the band. They have done great, too.

JMHO

It was great to read all of your replies! I will be banded 8/8/06 and have been questioning if this is the right thing to do. But, I know I can not loss the weight on my own.

I have no regrets about having my band but if I had the chance to make the decision, I would have really tried to exercise and watch my food portions and choices first. I said I tried everything but I was wrong. I didn't try as hard as I am now. My "tries" were usually done by day 2 of DIETING.

Though I remain unfilled, the band really is working for me. It's kept me straight.

Honestly, as of right now I do regret which surgery I chose. I wish I had chose a more drastic approach. I am also not liking the port, the fear of band complications or how it hurts to PB or sometimes just eat. I can also forsee how frustrating the fills could become if you can't get to your sweet spot quickly.

BUT... I just had my second fill yesterday and I am already feeling a little better about my band.

So maybe I can give you a different answer in 6 months.

I just got my band on 6/9/06...I've been looking into it since 2003. Had some personal setbacks that prevented me from going forward. Nothing with insurance, but getting laid off and losing insurance coverage, moving, things like that.

I've wanted this for so long and in the short time I've lost 15 lbs. I feel totally enabled. I was presented with vanilla ice cream tonight and I didn't want it. I really didn't. My mom watched me as I made my mashed banana and creamy Peanut Butter dinner. She talked about how soon I'd be able to get back to where I was, meaning eating regular food. When she said that I instantly got defensive (not rude, just stern) and said I had no intention of getting back where I was. I know that is not what she meant but just hearing the words "back where I was". :cry I don't ever, ever want to be back at that point, so desperate for food, wishing for a life. I'm sure I'll have my ups and downs, but I am trying to change my mental while my physical is changing too. *sigh* Sorry for rambling. This is still pretty fresh for me. :)

I completely understand where you are coming from. You are feeling the same way I felt when I decided enough was enough. Your mentality is exactly how it should be for you to win this. You're going to do it and you are going to be very happy. I can just tell.

My very first vacation without the thought of food!!! I enjoyed Water aerobics, the gym, walking on the beach in the sand, shopping and just staying active having so much more energy. My hubby, two sons and I went to West Palm Shores Resort in Florida for 8 days just returning on Sunday, June 25, 2006. What a since of accomplishment! I had my 3rd fill a week before going on vacation, which puts me at a total of 1.6 cc in a 4 cc band. Needed very little food to get full and went to a buffet and did not eat anything because I was not hungry but my hubby and boys were. This is probably the 1st vacation I ever lost weight on.:clap2:

I am pissed because I cannot eat anything healthy.

I choke on watermelon and grapes, choke on most Protein foods or throw them up, can't eat veggies like I used to love. I have a whole bunch of collards out there in the garden and I can't tolerate them. I throw most everything good up and I am still managing to get too many calories and am not losing weight. I have not had a fill for over two months and may never have another one. My hair has all fallen out and I just throw any Vitamins right back up.

Dani

Danister, I went through what you are going through and I realized that every time I throw up I irritate my esophagus and then every time I eat I throw up and its just a vicious cycle. I went back to liquids for about a week and let my body heal, I find of started over. After liquids I eased ito mushies and then solid food but I concentrate on chewing and taking small bites and I really believe that is the key. I had my band done on January 6,2006 it was given to me as a Christmas gift from my father. I was not prepared to have this done but I did it anyway and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Good luck everyone!

We'll I have been trying to hang in there with this band for a least 16 months, and I have only managed to lose 45 lbs. I have stayed at this since last year a few months after the surgery. No mater what I do the scale will not budge. So I have chosen to switch and I am already approved for the surgery I just have to go threw the steps again. I didn't want to do this but I will be 31 this year and I want to have kids I weighed at the start at 415 know I am 380 and I don't want to be skinny but I want to stop the insulin my knees are better, but if I want to start a family I need to get on the ball. Only this time only the people real close to me will know. When I take leave from work I won't give the people I work with the real reason for it because I don't want to hear any ones negative feedback as I should have had that done first.:) I just want to be healthy and I am glad I took the shortest route first to see if that would work and by the weight I have lost, I know it will not.:cry :) :grouphug:

I have only had my band for a short time, but I would do it again in a second. I have lost almost 40 pounds. I feel so much better about myself and I actually have HOPE of being thin again.