Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you do it again or choose another option?

If you could go back and do it over? What would you do?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. If you could go back and do it over? What would you do?

• Lap Band is perfect for my needs and I would do it again.
    • I would do a bypass surgery or the switch. They seem to work better.
    • I would diet and exercise.
    • I don't really know what I would do. I am still confused what is best.

Sorry your experience was not good Miko! :) Will you be doing a gastric bypass then, or a duodenal switch like GeezerSue did?

Best wishes on the new surgery, I'm sure that you will do well and reach your goal!

Tamiko,

If you have Diabetes, I urge you strongly to look into the Duodenal Switch.

Here are some links.

www.duodenalswitch.com

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/about.html

http://www.dssurgery.com/generalinformation/comparison.php

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/postdetail/100997.html?vc=0

I had it after 3 years with the band. I love it. Good luck in your journey, no matter where it leads.

Hi, I would still be banded. It has been a great tool for me. It has finally shut my appetite down to a manageable level. I have finally been able to maintain my weight loss. It is great. Mona

I would have gotten the gastric sleeve. So, I am saving my money now and plan to get a revision in November.

Serious, I'm not familiar with the gastric sleeve. Could you please explain what it is and how it would work differently from the band.

Thanks,

This question caught my eye, because I am battling with the decision now.

I started at 450 lbs, but they won't do the lapband till I am 327 (BMI 40 or lower). I've been eating what the banders eat, really to get my body prepared for what was ahead. Actually, I love the Protein drinks, fruits, veggies, and have adjusted to the portions. I've lost 56 lbs since March.

So, with still 67 lbs to lose before I can get the band, do I need it? If the lap band is a "tool", and I have succeeded in changing my habits and lifestyle to be healthy -- do I need the band?

I wasn't an overeater, but an unhealthy eater. I lived of soft drinks, fast food, and candy. I no longer desire these things.

I do LOVE LAPBANDTALK, because even with my diet/exercise, y'all keep me motivated. I guess I will make the decision when I reach 327.

You're doing great with your weight loss without the band. I've not been that heavy but from my past experiences I've been successful taking off weight withoout the band. Then KABAM, it would all come back on plus a little more. The band has helped me so far in loosing and I know when I do reach goal will help in maintenance. Of course the decision is yours but I would go with the band just for the maintenance of your weight loss.

Getting a lap band was a great decision for me. Exercise has really helped too. I bought a high-energy puppy in February, six miles a day if I like it or not!

i would do the surgery a million more times if i had to... i absolutely love my band and i find i am a lot happier these days... 35lbs less i 3 mths i very good for me... i would have never been able to do that on my own

I would get the band again too. I have been stuck at the same weight after my initial 45 lb loss and I know that without my band I would have gained all the weight back. (been there, done that) My band keeps me honest about my portion sizes and I really am not hungry very often.

Serious, I'm not familiar with the gastric sleeve. Could you please explain what it is and how it would work differently from the band.

Thanks,

Hi JLB,

Sorry, I just today saw your question. You can go to Obesityhelp.com, they have a forum on the vertical gastric sleeve, and a faq section. It will pretty much sum it up for you.

Band was right for me six years ago. It was so comforting during my pregnancies to have all of my fill removed, and know that my babies were at no risk for any complications due to my WLS. However, post pregnancy, my Band hasn't worked again... and I'm meeting others who have the same issue. Nobody seems to know why. So, if me and my doctor can't figure this out, I'll be going for a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. Basically, 80% of your stomach is removed... including the portion that produces a lot of the ghrelin. Your pyloric sphincter is in tact, so no dumping. It's restrictive only... so no malabsorption. Partial gastrectomies have been performed for years on cancer victims... and the partial gastrectomy has also been the first part of the DS which has been used for at least 10 years. If you need to revise the VSG, can add either a DS or RNY malabsorption component... but it seems that very few need that at this stage.

I used to be really nervous about having anything permanent... like having part of my stomach removed. But, I'm more comfortable with that over an RNY pouch-like stomach... where part of your stomach is blind... and you deal with staple line issues. With a VSG, after about 6-weeks, there is no more risk of leakage or issues with your new stomach.

This surgeon needs to update his info re: Lap-Band. There are 10 year studies out there... so saying no long-term studies is misleading. I also can't believe that he (or she) keeps comparing it to the VBG... and even includes a column on the VBG. VBG was abandoned by most reputable surgeons way back in the late 90s when I first started researching WLS.

Here's a better (IMHO) comparison chart from a surgeon who does ALL of the surgeries... and realize that not every surgery is right for every person.

Weight-Loss Surgeries Compared

I haven't lost as much weight as I would have liked, but I would still do it over. I know I would be heavier by now, no matter how much I tried to stay on a diet.

There is no way I would ever do RNY even if I had insurance to pay for it.

I have seen too many people gain all of it back, without a band to force them to change their eating habits. And I have seen a lot of people with severe complications from gastric bypass.