Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you do it again or choose another option?

If you could go back and do it over? What would you do?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. If you could go back and do it over? What would you do?

• Lap Band is perfect for my needs and I would do it again.
    • I would do a bypass surgery or the switch. They seem to work better.
    • I would diet and exercise.
    • I don't really know what I would do. I am still confused what is best.

If you knew then what you know now...would you do it again or would you go another route such as the switch or a bypass? Would you just suck it up and diet or was the band the perfect option for you?

I am one year out and would do it again in a heartbeat. I have regretted my decision for only one brief moment when I was unable to swallow an antibiotic and had to have it crushed (YUCK). Otherwise, how can I complain? I am now 87 pounds lighter/healthier/happier. Good luck on your decision.

I have only been banded since January of this year. But I would do it again in a heart beat. I am now getting to the point where I am really having to work to lose the weight. But is so much easier with the band helping me. The band was deffinitly the perfect option for me.

No regrets here. Getting the band is the best thing I've done for myself. Other than the dark gall bladder days, I can't say I've suffered at all. I feel great, I look great. Life is great!

I've been banded over two years now and I know it was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I am 96 pounds lighter and have a whole new look out on life.

Six months down the track, my weight loss has been fantastic but stalled somewhat and I know those old habits are still lurking, many days I give into them but just in more moderate quantities. I know for sure if I didnt have my band I would be well on the way to regaining the weight that I have lost by now.

I feel I've beaten a few demons, I dont think I'd return to eating the way I did, but in no way do I have this all under control on my own.

I mean, today I had pancakes for Breakfast, and we're going out tonight. So I decided not to eat lunch (breakfast was very late - 11 am). I can make a decision like that now because I wont be starving, before I would have thought, Oh may as well REALLY enjoy today then and just pigged out all day. I dont do that anymore.

But I still ahve times when I eat terrible foods, becuase I just want comfort food. And my body doesnt like being 21kg lighter, I dont know how to explain it but I just know its fighting to go back up.

I'm totally grateful to have had the band but I've had a long, long, long journey to just get down to this point.:rolleyes

I love the band, love how it works, love the fact that it's not a permanent re-routing of my intestines - but then again, as slow as it's been - perhaps I could have used a teeny bit of malabsorption over time, maybe. :)

I've worked hard and been very patient.And I'm still overweight! :phanvan

(I know, I know, I'm getting there... but how much longer?)

So granted, what happened to me is hardly normal for most bandsters, but if I'd known it was going to take this long to get to a reasonably decent weight, I'd probably have just gone for the RnY Bypass (a very basic, very distal RnY). I got approved for one, but I thought the LapBand was really better for me.

I hope it will prove to be, ultimately.

So catch me when I get to goal and THEN maybe it will seem worth it.

Otherwise...the jury might still be out over here.

I am probably still too newly banded to put my two cents worth into this discussion, but, I am going to anyway. For the first time in years, I have not been gaining weight every week. Prior to my first fill, I had no restriction. I did not lose during that time, but I did not gain either. That in itself is a victory for me. Diets do not work for me. Just the fact that I would say I was on a diet would send me into a panick and binging mode. With my band, I am doing so much better. Am I a perfect bandster, absolutely not. I still make unwise food choices all the time. But, the beauty of my band is that even though I do, I can only eat a minimum amount of those bad choice foods. So, would I do this again, heck yeah, in a heartbeat!

This question caught my eye, because I am battling with the decision now.

I started at 450 lbs, but they won't do the lapband till I am 327 (BMI 40 or lower). I've been eating what the banders eat, really to get my body prepared for what was ahead. Actually, I love the Protein drinks, fruits, veggies, and have adjusted to the portions. I've lost 56 lbs since March.

So, with still 67 lbs to lose before I can get the band, do I need it? If the lap band is a "tool", and I have succeeded in changing my habits and lifestyle to be healthy -- do I need the band?

I wasn't an overeater, but an unhealthy eater. I lived of soft drinks, fast food, and candy. I no longer desire these things.

I do LOVE LAPBANDTALK, because even with my diet/exercise, y'all keep me motivated. I guess I will make the decision when I reach 327.

Joyce: I haven't had the band log enough to give and experienced opinion, however.....I can tell you why I decided on the band. I am very good at taking the weight off....I have done it many times....100 lbs....60 lbs.....80 lbs....and gained it all back every time. I have done this severy times and have never had a problem sticking to a program and not failing on the plan once. However, I can not maintain. I have tried several times and the weight just keeps coming back. This is one thing that I know about myself....I will never be successfuly at keeping the weight off.

So, I really do believe the band is my answer to maintaining a healthy weight.

Carol

I would do it again in a heartbeat! Pre-band I was gaining anywhere from 1/2 a lb to a full lb. I saw no way out of this cycle. I would eat and a half an hr later be starving. I knew food was my addiction but I felt doomed and hooked on it. Since I have gotten the band I have realized that it does take work and willpower and dedication. I am not one of those people that can simply eat less of what they were eating and not exercise and have the weight fall off of them. I have had to work for every pound that I have lost. Having said that though, the band has dimmed my appetite incredibly--making exercise possible and the weight IS coming off. And for once in my life I know it will stay off!! I LOVE my band and would recommend it to anybody that is fed up with the way things are with their weight and are ready to make a change.

~Liz~

banded 03/10/06

Dr.Ortiz

241/194/150

5'7''

Best $15,000.00 I every spent! In just 3 months I have lost 40 pounds, my allergies are better, my osteo-arthritis is better, I sleep better, I am no longer border-line high blood pressure, and I feel great.

I just got my band on 6/9/06...I've been looking into it since 2003. Had some personal setbacks that prevented me from going forward. Nothing with insurance, but getting laid off and losing insurance coverage, moving, things like that.

I've wanted this for so long and in the short time I've lost 15 lbs. I feel totally enabled. I was presented with vanilla ice cream tonight and I didn't want it. I really didn't. My mom watched me as I made my mashed banana and creamy Peanut Butter dinner. She talked about how soon I'd be able to get back to where I was, meaning eating regular food. When she said that I instantly got defensive (not rude, just stern) and said I had no intention of getting back where I was. I know that is not what she meant but just hearing the words "back where I was". :cry I don't ever, ever want to be back at that point, so desperate for food, wishing for a life. I'm sure I'll have my ups and downs, but I am trying to change my mental while my physical is changing too. *sigh* Sorry for rambling. This is still pretty fresh for me. :confused: