Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gain/Weighing In

I am curious how often you weigh yourself and what if you see the scale go up, what do you do?

I officially weigh in on Monday's and last week I gained 1 lb. So I've been very careful with food and have been going to the gym each day and been feeling Great! SO I've been watching the scale. I went down on Tue and then up by 2lbs on Wed and back down 1lb today? I know that we shouldn't weigh everyday but it's so hard to not watch where I'm at.

I'm not really understanding why I am not losing a good number again? Can it be that after not getting in enough Protein for almost a whole week and two weeks with no work outs that it will take a couple of weeks to get back on track?

I can't explain why, other than maybe woman hormones? Also working out builds muscle that weighs more than fat but is good for long term calorie burning. I too weigh everyday and I just came off a 3 week fight of 189-190-191 game to suddenly today 186.3. I did a soft day yesterday, meaning I had 3 Protein Shakes and 2 yogurts and 5 turkey stick bits for the entire day. Now I am not sure if that had anything to do with the jump down in weight loss as I consumed the same amount of calories as any other day. I have increased my cardio work out the last week so that maybe be part of it.

A pound is a pound regardless if it's muscle or fat, it's still a pound. The difference is volume which is NOT weight. Fat is lumpy, bumpy and takes up more space vs. lean muscle mass. Same concept of a pound of gold vs a pound of feathers. It takes just a single brick of gold to weigh a pound, but it takes huge amounts of feathers to weigh a pound.

While you are building muscle, it tears and has to be repaired. The one thing it takes to repair muscle is Water. Therefore, you'll see a bounce on the scale of Water weight. It's impossible to gain 2lbs of fat overnight. It's just not physically possible.

You are more likely losing inches, and your clothing will start fitting differently. If you haven't already I highly encourage you to take measurements. Measure your neck, upper arm, bust, waist, hips, upper thigh and calf. Through my losing stage, and when I started working out, I would bounce on the scale, and I had to really evaluate what was going on. I know once I started some strength training, the scale slowed down tremendously, but I was dropping and even skipping sizes.

Don't do anything drastic like going back to liquids only, or just doing shakes. Let your body readjust, and you'll see the scale move.

I used to weigh myself EVERY day and it drove me crazy . . .especially during that time of the month . . . but I took a break and now I do it often but try not to do it everyday. I think everyone has given advice. Your weight will fluctuate naturally day to day. Try to use other means to measure how you are doing. For a while I wasn't losing much but I jumped a clothing size. I don't quite understand it but as long as the scale EVENTUALLY moves . . .I'm happy. And it's been moving lately. Try not to let it discourage you . . . and I know that's easier said than done. I go through it every single month. :)

I weigh every day and right now it is driving me crazy. My scale sets my mood. If it is up and I am depressed, down and I am happy as a lark. I know that I should not let it do that but it does. After years of weighing every day, habits are hard to break. Monday I was up 2 lbs, yesterday down 1.2 and today up .8. I work out at the gym and yesterday I did 45 minutes on the elliptical. I feel as though sometimes I am spinning my wheels.

I also get depressed with myself and think what have I done? I do not understand how for so long I was losing and then now I am back to yo-yoing with the scale. I worry what the dr is going to say when I get back to him on the 23rd about my weight. Last month, I lost 11 lbs. I am afraid that I won't even make 5 lbs this month. sigh....

Kgremmy, I just came off the month of Feb. with losing exactly 2lbs. Talk about frustration. Aaargh. All I can say is that I hope Mar. is a better month for me.

A pound is a pound regardless if it's muscle or fat, it's still a pound. The difference is volume which is NOT weight. Fat is lumpy, bumpy and takes up more space vs. lean muscle mass. Same concept of a pound of gold vs a pound of feathers. It takes just a single brick of gold to weigh a pound, but it takes huge amounts of feathers to weigh a pound.

While you are building muscle, it tears and has to be repaired. The one thing it takes to repair muscle is Water. Therefore, you'll see a bounce on the scale of Water weight. It's impossible to gain 2lbs of fat overnight. It's just not physically possible.

You are more likely losing inches, and your clothing will start fitting differently. If you haven't already I highly encourage you to take measurements. Measure your neck, upper arm, bust, waist, hips, upper thigh and calf. Through my losing stage, and when I started working out, I would bounce on the scale, and I had to really evaluate what was going on. I know once I started some strength training, the scale slowed down tremendously, but I was dropping and even skipping sizes.

Don't do anything drastic like going back to liquids only, or just doing shakes. Let your body readjust, and you'll see the scale move.

Tiff that is too funny cuz I was actually in the back of mind wondering if I should do liquids for a few days! LOL

I have to remind myself that this journey is A LOT like every other weight loss journey I've been on and it will take some adjustments and TIME! It's just hard somedays when you look at it and I've lost SO MUCH weight in such a short amount of time I just hoped it would contiune to come off at the same rate but I should know that it will slow down eventually!

I am coming up to 4 weeks of the same three pounds. up-down-up-down-same same same! I have only had the sleeve for 6 weeks so....yuck! Anyway, I have lost 4 inches at my belly button area. (sort of low waist area) I would like to see the scales moving, but I'll take 4 inches off the tummy anyday too!

Hi I weigh myself daily more out of habit then anything else. My weight does a kind of two step thing I will drop a couple of pounds then will regain it and go back and forth for a few days until it drops and stays there.

i spend most of my time on OH and there are a lot of people that have just passed up their 6 mo mark that are having the same problems. most of us have started working out and really watching what we are eating and the scale just isnt moving. one person stalled from mo 6 to 8 and then started losing again. i think our bodies have just gotten accustomed to the way that we have been eating. just stick with it and stay strong. working out can only be good for the body. just get enough Protein and know that if you have patience things will start going the right direction.

i struggle with having to watch what i eat so carefully in order to lose weight. i mean, i cant consume more than 3 oz of protein every 3 hours and yet still i have to worry about gaining weight. i thought that once i had the surgery those days would be behind me. it is very disheartening. and then to also live a little and have some alcohol and have to dread getting on the scale. im still trying to work through this.

how much protein are you getting in? when you work out, you do need a lot of protein. when i wasnt getting enough, i had stopped lsoing weight altogether.

yeah, i weigh everyday. although i dont recommend it.

I am coming up to 4 weeks of the same three pounds. up-down-up-down-same same same! I have only had the sleeve for 6 weeks so....yuck! Anyway, I have lost 4 inches at my belly button area. (sort of low waist area) I would like to see the scales moving, but I'll take 4 inches off the tummy anyday too!

smile.gifupdate, I have lost one pound, and happy to break the stall at last!

After losing over 100 lbs in the first 6 months I spent 7 weeks on a stall actually gaining 2 lbs, I then went back to Protein Water exercise and focused and lost another 12 lbs.

I was definitely letting way too many carbs get in the way, we don't have to only eat Protein but we should eat protein first...

I started going to sliders because they made my stomach feel ok, while the protein I was supposed to be eating hurt and made me feel full and uncomfortable fast.

Try having a week of protein based foods eggs, chicken, turkey, fish, Beans and cheese.... exercise normally and drink Water that seemed to work for me

Congratulations on breaking through

I've become a little neurotic about the scale lately myself it can fluctuate 3-5 lbs in a day depending on water, coffee, and food intake.

I started really workout out hard the past two weeks and I have seen the scale bouncing up and down by a pound or two. I am so glad I am not the only one!

Dawn:

It's funny how you and I were sleeved nearly the same day, and go through so many similar things at the same time. I'm about 9 days into a stall where I fluctuate losing and gaining the same pound. I weigh myself daily, religiously, at the same time. I disagree with not weighing daily. I wrestled in college, and if I didn't weigh daily, I would have never made weight. My weight-gains always coincided with a lack of wanting to see the proof on the scale. The scale provides accountability. I think its more how you react to the information, then the fact that you gather the information.

About the stall, I feel great too, and I've STILL (sadly) have not started a regular work out routine. And I must admit that this week I had a LOT of work, so it was more hours with my butt in the chair, than other weeks where I've been traveling, having to walk a lot in the field, etc. So perhaps behavior (i.e. diet and [lack of] exercise) have something to do with the stall, but alternatively, it might be a bit of our bodies playing catchup. I know that relative to 3 weeks ago, I'm thinner, because I can only wear a pair of 35 inch pants that were a bit tight just 3 weeks ago. So, I have to cut myself some slack.

At the same time, I'm about 25 pounds from being somewhere where I'd be comfortable stopping and maintaining. So, let's hope that we break out of this rut soon. I'm starting a gym tomorrow, so we'll see if that helps!

Matt

I am curious how often you weigh yourself and what if you see the scale go up, what do you do?

I officially weigh in on Monday's and last week I gained 1 lb. So I've been very careful with food and have been going to the gym each day and been feeling Great! SO I've been watching the scale. I went down on Tue and then up by 2lbs on Wed and back down 1lb today? I know that we shouldn't weigh everyday but it's so hard to not watch where I'm at.

I'm not really understanding why I am not losing a good number again? Can it be that after not getting in enough Protein for almost a whole week and two weeks with no work outs that it will take a couple of weeks to get back on track?