Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

leg cramps on liquid diet

My surgery is tomorrow :) I'm worried about these awful leg cramps I'm having.I've been on the liquid diet all week and the last 3 days I've been like this. Its like when you get a cramp in your toe and it gets stuck, but its in my leg from hip to ankle. Its ok if I'm walking but sitting,standing,getting out of bed,going to the bathroom & trying to get dressed has been awful! I keep thinking it'll get better but no luck.this is gonna suk tomorrow trying to get out of the hospital bed. Is this normal?anyone know how I can get it to stop? HELP :)

I had this problem, but post op on the clear liquid diet. My doctor said it was from the Protein deficiency. Hang in there. It gets better.

low potassium can cause leg cramps......I would let your dr know they might want to check your levels--I have not had surgery yet so I dont know if they routinely check it before hand.....not sure if the Pickle Juice has Potassium in it or not.......it might

I woudl defentily talk to your doctor and tell him that you are having leg cramps he probably will give you a potassum drip before you go into surgery and might even keep you on one while your there. I would ask him if you can take potassum pills afterwards.

I can't explain it but that pickle juice has really helped. & umm sorry to hear about your constipational issues lol too funny!

Glad the suggestion helped. I called my patient coordinator with that problem and she suggested it to me and I did some research. Health911.com:

Mustard For years coaches have given mustard to their athletes with leg cramps. Cramps are sometimes caused by a deficiency in acetylcholine, the neurotransmitter that stimulates your muscles to work. Mustard has acetic acid, which helps the body make more acetylcholine. Take a spoonful or two of mustard.

Pickle juice As with mustard coaches have given Pickle Juice to their athletes with leg cramps. Cramps are sometimes caused by a deficiency in acetylcholine, the neurotransmitter that stimulates your muscles to work. Pickle juice has acetic acid, which helps the body make more acetylcholine. Take a few ounces of pickle juice.

Muscle cramps are a huge indicator of low electrolytes (Calcium/Potassium/Magnesium/Sodium). Drink more Gatorade, preferrably the regular, not G2. It should help. :)

If all else fails, contact your doctor!

I'm not sure if this is the same thing or not, but the back of my right thigh feels tight, like it's sore from a strain. Could this be the same thing? I'm just starting week 2 of my pre-op liquid diet.< /p>

On 2/27/2011 at 9:44 AM, DonnaG said:

I had the same problem. If you can stomach, pickle juice is the way to fix it.

It’s 5a.m and this is day 3 of waking to foot/leg/thigh cramps. Wrapping up week 1 of 2wk liquid fasting and these cramps are WORSE than not eating! As soon as a store opens finding some Pickle Juice (I don’t even like pickles🥴). Really hope it works.. I’ll let y’all know🙏🏽🫶🏽