Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the 50s ???

Glad there is a group for the 50's B)

My surgery is 5/21 and on that date I will be less than a month away from being 57. I've battled my weight since I was mid to late 30's. I've been over 200 several times and I would struggle it down but never less than 180 and it quickly would return to my prior high weight and then make a new high. The last time I was 220 I started on an Atkins diet I promised myself to look into bariatric surgery if I EVER got up to 220 again. At only 5'2" that is over 40 bmi. I did lose 32 pounds doing low carb but as all the times before (with WW, Nutrisystem, etc) this last winter I was at an all time high and had to keep my promise to myself. I first start looking into surgery with lapband but I later changed to gastric sleeve.

I am just anxious to get started. I feel pretty realistic; I'm not even trying to hit my HS weight, but to get to a weight where I have more energy, feel like being active and can avoid some of the health issues that my mother, who had similar weigh battles, now has to deal with. Is it May yet?

So glad you found us! It's great having some "sexy silver sleevers" to talk to. At least I know I'm not the only "more mature" lady trying to do this! The support is great!! :D

Glad there is a group for the 50's B)

My surgery is 5/21 and on that date I will be less than a month away from being 57. I've battled my weight since I was mid to late 30's. I've been over 200 several times and I would struggle it down but never less than 180 and it quickly would return to my prior high weight and then make a new high. The last time I was 220 I started on an Atkins diet I promised myself to look into bariatric surgery if I EVER got up to 220 again. At only 5'2" that is over 40 bmi. I did lose 32 pounds doing low carb but as all the times before (with WW, Nutrisystem, etc) this last winter I was at an all time high and had to keep my promise to myself. I first start looking into surgery with lapband but I later changed to gastric sleeve.

I am just anxious to get started. I feel pretty realistic; I'm not even trying to hit my HS weight, but to get to a weight where I have more energy, feel like being active and can avoid some of the health issues that my mother, who had similar weigh battles, now has to deal with. Is it May yet?

Congratulations on starting the process!!!! We are very similar....I just turned 58 a few days before my surgery last October with a BMI of 46.5, 223 lbs and 5'3" I might humbly suggest you look at my weekly blog (I am on Week 26) so you can have an idea of the exciting ride you are about to embark on! Start with the ABOUT ME page and then when you have a chance, go to October and then you can see the progress.....I suspect you will have very similar results....and welcome!!!!

Since it is now night time in the Czech Republic; you are now officially sleeved!!!! Welcome to the club and just know the next few weeks will be a bit of a blur and you will feel really weird; then you will feel lighter; then you will feel confused, and it will all be baby steps at first, then you will be soaring with the rest of us!!!!!

Well I decided to go ahead with the surgery on 3/21. It's five days out and I have not lost any weight. I actually gained 12 pounds of Water weight because of the IV. Experiencing a lot of gas and pain internally and the incisions still hurt. Been drinking super Protein Shots water and chicken broth. Any suggestions?

Sent from my DROIDX using VST

Well I decided to go ahead with the surgery on 3/21. It's five days out and I have not lost any weight. I actually gained 12 pounds of water weight because of the IV. Experiencing a lot of gas and pain internally and the incisions still hurt. Been drinking super Protein shots water and chicken broth. Any suggestions?

Hi Dyezee.....Just wanted to check in to see how you're doing......you're about one month out......feeling OK???

Hi everyone, well I am 2 weeks out and feel good. I was kept in hospital for one extra day because of the nausea, the doctor immediatly ordered x rays and bloods to check everything was OK, he even accompanied me to the x-ray dept!. Everything was fine I was just so nauseous. So he ordered sickness meds, pain killers and a laxative! Well it all worked and the next day I felt like a new woman and could get home. Luckily there was a plane with a spare seat and I was transferred without any hassle. I only have wonderful things to say about my doctor and staff at the hospital. The hospital itself was a bit basic by my home standards but it was sqeaky clean, but give me good care over posh anytime.

My loss so far including pre-op is 22lbs and I am pleased with that. I started puree food Tuesday and it is wonderful, to have some texture in the food.

I go back to work on Monday so hope my energy levels hold out, no one knows about the op but I did make a big fuss about my pre-op saying how I was cutting out bread and was going to make a big effort with food choices. I suppose I will take Soup for my lunch until I can have crackers/ryvita.

Anyway that is my post op journey so far. Cathy

UK Cath - so glad to hear from you. I'm so happy that you're doing well, and that things are going good! Keep us posted on your progress.

Fantastic update Cathy! So happy to hear all went well; and it's only going to get better. Just remember, eat very slowly.....soup is a great choice and by week 3 I was eating 2 soda crackers (some people call them saltine crackers) at each meal which were divine and really seem to help my tummy feel settled. Don't over do it and keep us posted! Also, don't forget to take a before photo....you'll love having it in a few months!

I turned 52 today. I was sleeved on 3/14/12 and have not regretted it for a minute. I have lost 26 lbs and of course would like it to go faster. But, I know if I stay the course it will come off. I have very few people I told I was doing this, so it really was satisfying when a lady I hardly know at work commented on my weight loss! Makes it all worth it.

I turned 52 today. I was sleeved on 3/14/12 and have not regretted it for a minute. I have lost 26 lbs and of course would like it to go faster. But, I know if I stay the course it will come off. I have very few people I told I was doing this, so it really was satisfying when a lady I hardly know at work commented on my weight loss! Makes it all worth it.

Happy Birthday desert19! I turned 50 just 18 days prior to my surgery. Having someone notice the weight loss is really exciting!! Congratulations.

Hi CropQueen, well it is one month out and I am on to eating soft solid foods. I am learning to eat slowly and chew throughly. Am trying to learn to stop eating before really full. Have had some accidents where I have gotten sick, but they have been few. Still feel weak, and energy suplies are limited. Only problem is weight loss has been slow, have only lost 15 pounds in a month. My body seems to hold on to its weight. I am sticking to protiens and trying to stay away from carbs. Weight loss for me has been slow. Down now at 225, day of surgery 240. A little frustrated with weight loss, but I guess it will come with time. Thank you for your concern.

hi all ! I am 55 and was sleeved 2/13/12. I think my weight loss has been slow (like, nonexistent the past month) but then I think "well, it HAS to come off so don't worry". I went to my PCP yesterday and told him about my gouty foot and leg cramps at night and we're going to try removing the diaretic from my blood pressure medication (I wanted to end them totally, but not yet *sigh*). I know it's the high Protein diet that is affecting my uric acid levels and I hope I can avoid starting any new meds :-(

Hi Cath

Glad all went well. I was wondering about your op. well done on your pre-op loss and I am sure you will lose a lot more fast. Good luck on your return to work.

N x

Hi everyone...i got the call that insurance approved the sleeve (previously only had contract for by-pass) so they scheduled me...

Surgery date May 2.... 6:30 am check in.... Happy Dance... !!!!!!

BTW ... Tomorrow is my 59th birthday..... What a sweet present !!!

sandy

Fantastic news TJmom!!!! So so happy for you.....we are about the same age; and if you have been reading my weekly updates, I suspect you will have a similar ride......and it's a good one! So, any plans to Celebrate the Big 60 when you are nice and thin????? :D