Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 1 of a 2 week liquid pre-op diet

I think Im going to starve to death lol. Ok, well maybe not starve to death but IM HUNGRY! I have no idea what all to eat, my doctor gave no guidelines on the pre-op diet other than saying it was full liquids for 2 weeks prior to surgery. Guess I need to go find my after surgery book for some ideas on what to eat. I've had a Carnation Instant Breakfast made with fat free milk and some Decaf coffee with vanilla Creamer. Not much in the way of calories or substance at all. I'm also using regular stuff, the sugar free stuff makes me gag so Im saving that until I HAVE to switch.

Whats really confusing for me is that I know 2 people who had the same surgeon *1 sleeve, 1 RNY* and neither one had any kind of pre-op diet. I am starting out smaller and quite a bit younger than them too so I dont know what the deal is.

Anyways, I will do whatever he wants me to do so I am sucking it up.

So far Ive had to make Breakfast and lunch for the family and soon up making my all time favorite meatloaf for dinner. *sigh* I want meatloaf too but I know this is only for a time that I have to starve. Gee it will be nice post-op when *hopefully* I wont be hungry anymore.

The worst part is having to pee every 5 minutes ;) Oh and having to document my weight and measurements was not a fun thing either.

I did have to laugh earlier today, I got a giftcard in the mail for my upcoming birthday for the Cheesecake Factory hehe. One day I will be able to use it ;)

Well, I guess thats enough complaining, maybe a nap wil help with the hunger pains.

Here is a sample of my pre-op liquid diet.

*Unlimited sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles,decaf tea and of course Water.

*Low carb Protein drink- make sure you getting at 60 grams of protein/per day.

*Consume these liquids in moderation as they contain larger amounts of sugar: Gatorade, or Powerade, regular Jello, popsicles or no sugar added fudgsicles,1 cup of skim milk

* 8 ounces of lite carb yogurt.

I did this for 2 weeks and lost about 20 pounds. What keep me on the straight and narrow was my surgeon's office said the pre-op diet was to reduc the size of your liver to increase the safety of your sugery. In some cases the liver can be to large to retract out of the way, making it impossible to visualize the stomach. At that point the surgeon would be unable to complete your surgery. What!!!!! I stay on my diet.

Good luck.

Deb B)

Thank you for the list! I didn't even think about yogurt and I have some of that in the fridge right now :) Getting ready to try out some of these Protein drinks for dinner tonight too, really hoping its good, Ive found some great sounding Protein shake recipes on a blog.

Thanks!

Here is a pretty amazing thread, I think you might find interesting: http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/5906-a-huge-list-of-protein-drink-recipes/

Thank you!! THose look amazing!!

Well I made it through the first day. I woke up with a headache this morning though *sigh* I did go out and buy some Optimum Protein and its better than the AMP I had bought but seriously, I dont think I can handle all the chocolate YUCK! I normally like chocolate but its just too much. I am going to try out some new recipes for smoothies today.

Good luck! The first few days are the toughest. When you get through them, you will be good to go. :)