Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ignorance!

Quick vent:

I was at the grocery store with a friend of mine and we were getting something to take home for dinner. I was waiting on her and an elderly man walked up to me. He said "Haven't you ever heard of salad? Try eating some." I was completely speechless. Wasn't sure what to do or say so I just walked away and waited for my friend somewhere else.

Why do people feel that they can say things like this to others? Is it just poor manners or a sense of entitlement? I would NEVER in a million years walk up to someone and comment on their appearance or habits.

Wow. I think I would have had a thing or three to say to him.

Maybe you can just chalk it up to senility. Sometimes elderly people lose their filter.

Quick vent:

I was at the grocery store with a friend of mine and we were getting something to take home for dinner. I was waiting on her and an elderly man walked up to me. He said "Haven't you ever heard of salad? Try eating some." I was completely speechless. Wasn't sure what to do or say so I just walked away and waited for my friend somewhere else.

Why do people feel that they can say things like this to others? Is it just poor manners or a sense of entitlement? I would NEVER in a million years walk up to someone and comment on their appearance or habits.

Wow, shear rudeness but then you did say he was a elderly man, some of the elderly are so miserable they want everyone else to be miserable. . just consider the sources, flick it off and you'll feel so much better . . . my mom is elderly and says the most hurtful things at times. . she catches herself after it comes out and then she feels bad. . .

I personally would have said "no actually i haven't heard of salad, why don't you explain it to me please sir" . . then just keep staring at him. . . but that is just me. . .

That is just plain rude! Some people!

A few years ago I was accosted in a similar manner by a strange woman who hissed in my ear, "you're FFFFFFAT!" She was mentally ill. Your elderly man might have had that excuse but not every old person is sweet, even a$$holes get old!

People will shock you, pre-op, post-op and just about always. You gotta become like an orange thick skin otherwise people will squeeze the juice out of you-I am serious, I am working on my skin.

martini_shaken.gifHere is a toast to us!

Oh yuck! I don't even have a real response to this except - (((hugs))) Don't let that curmudgeon crotchety old man lessen your experience.

Yep, sorry you had to go through that.

If it wasn't you then his victim would have been the next person of color or handicapped or super skinny or whatever. Mentally disturbed people lash out sometimes.

Too bad you couldn't say "Haven't you ever heard of manners? Try using them!"

Obesity is the last prejudice that doesn't seem to require "PC" by the general public. You know?

Now that I think about it, I might have assessed the mans condition, see if he was really alert or not, and if he did seem to be fully cognisant of himself I think I would have very sweetly said this, "I would think that by the time someone got to be as old as you, that they would learn some manners. Didn't your mother ever teach you manners?"

That is SO rude. I agree that you have to not let it get to you, hard stuff for sure. It's very hurtful, and probably good that you didn't engage this individual any further. Sorry you had to go through that!

"I would think that by the time someone got to be as old as you, that they would learn some manners. Didn't your mother ever teach you manners?"

BTW, I like this comback, I think it could be used in a variety of circumstances.

I do agree that being "fat" is the last holdout that it is still "okay" for people to make fun of fat people. It's not okay to make comments, based on your ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, etc. but for some reason being fat is still a "free-for-all" and people make comments at will. :angry:

That was so rude. I am so sorry this happened to you. It could have happened to any of us.

I'm terrible at comebacks too. I would have been so stunned I probably would have laughed with him and then gotten really pissed.

Life has a way of working these things out. KARMA

GET THIS YOU GUYS!!!!! Yesterday a patient asked me if i'd give her the injectable she needed now or later, I explained to her that she had a bit of a wait and to go for lunch then come back and just ask for me. . . i gave her my name and she left for her lunch. . . when she came back did she ask for me by name? NOOOOO she asked for 'THE BIG WOMAN WITH THE PONYTAIL" errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr talk about being pissed off . . . lose 150 lbs and your still the BIG WOMAN!!!!! and she herself wasn't thin. . . :angry: Here I am thinking at 6' tall and into size 16 I was looking pretty darn good. . . umph. . . . Real moral booster huh! Well back to the drawing board! Yeah I gave her the injectable regardless with loving BIG WOMAN hands. . .