Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HAS ANYONE HAD ANY LEAKAGE WITH THE SLEEVE

A few people have, Tiffykins is one that comes to mind. It CAN happen but is by far the vast MINORITY.

My doctor told me that after 10 days you have a less than 1% chance of a leak and after 14 you have a 0 percent chance. Be sure to ask your surgeon if they reinforce staples with with sutures, glue or mesh. Good Luck.

Tiffykins had a band to sleeve conversion so I think that may have complicated things. Hopefully you'll be OK. smile.gif

A few people have, Tiffykins is one that comes to mind. It CAN happen but is by far the vast MINORITY.

GETTING SLEEVED IN APRIL AND WORRIED ABOUT LEAKAGE , AND I'M GOING TO JUAREZ ,Mexico

hello,I had the opportunity to speek with my surgeon about leakage and she said that

if you dont have a leak with in the first 10 days of your surgery you wont leak,that was incurraging

to me but you will need to write done all your questions ,start now ,,in order not to forget anything

write it down and ask,,ask,,ask,,,because if you don't ask you will not know...that was my 1st question

that i had asked,the second one was about the lapband and her preferance as to which one she thought gave the best results and she said the sleeve,,,now I was sure that I made the right choice,,

• MOST important, I mean MOST MOST MOST important I think is to check out your specific doctor on line here or on obesityhelp.com. Because there are doctors with great reputations and not great reputations. Going to a doctor with an EXCELLENT track record is more important than you know. There are great doctors with horrible office staff and horrible doctors with GREAT salespeople if you know what I mean. You can't tell over the phone and what is important is the doctor and the hospital you are going to and what their record is like. Also EXPERIENCE with THIS surgery is important, don't be someone's guinea pig or you risk your life, literally. But that said there is a very experienced surgeon around that has butchered many people and sent them home very sick.

I do know someone that had a leak and I believe he ultimately died from this surgery and complications from this surgery. It was not just a leak, but it sounded a bit mishandled both during and after-the-fact and a bad subsequent surgery as well. He also said maybe he overdid it too soon after surgery. Too much, too soon. This can really domino into a disaster, so please don't take it lightly.

This is apparently a great surgery for people that are truly overweight, and I have had a good experience since the surgery. But you are removing a great portion of your stomach, like 85%. There is no going backwards once you have lost the majority of this body part!!! It is very important to have the best medical care and to follow doctor's orders.

The downside of going to Mexico, at least in my friend's case, was that once he was sent home here to Houston there were not many bariatric surgeons willing to handle his case. He didn't know what to do, and being so sick it is not a good time to be learning what to do. Sounded like he wound up with non-bariatric surgeons for his subsequent surgeries which caused further damage and ultimately may have contributed to his problem. Believe me, hind sight was 20/20 for him and his family. But that didn't help him, but it could help you by knowing.

I liked having surgery where I live because I knew if something went wrong I would have a doctor HERE at home. And I live in Houston, so there are good doctors here. If I lived somewhere else without an excellent doctor I would travel to the closest excellent doctor.

I am not saying it is bad to go to Mexico, but if it were me I'd check out Dr. Aceves because everyone always says he is wonderful. Sounds like he is super careful and skilled. But honestly, I would definitely stay in Houston and have surgery, bc so many good doctors here. Mexico is quite unsafe right now, and I know bc I traveled there a lot bc my husband is from Mexico. Neither of us go there anymore. Not everyone has a problem, but there again to me why take unnecessary risks? Some people do it to save the money, and I understand that concern.

It is a big decision who to have surgery with.

This is the kind of experience I understood more after the fact than before. So I thought I'd share because it might help just to know an opinion. Some people do not feel like I feel. A lot of people travel to Mexico for surgeries. But there are good doctors AND bad doctors in most places, including Mexico. But if you have a Mexican doctor and get butchered, what recourse do you really have? The laws there are different. In my friend's case the doctor appeared to just wash his hands of him and yet his medical practice just carries on like nothing happened.

thanks so much for your feed back I have did a lot of research with my Dr ..iam nervous about the violence in mx , but the have people take u there and bring u back to the airport .my ins won't pay for it and I'm sick of being Fat ...keep me in ur prayers my date of surgery is April 26th

• MOST important, I mean MOST MOST MOST important I think is to check out your specific doctor on line here or on obesityhelp.com. Because there are doctors with great reputations and not great reputations. Going to a doctor with an EXCELLENT track record is more important than you know. There are great doctors with horrible office staff and horrible doctors with GREAT salespeople if you know what I mean. You can't tell over the phone and what is important is the doctor and the hospital you are going to and what their record is like. Also EXPERIENCE with THIS surgery is important, don't be someone's guinea pig or you risk your life, literally. But that said there is a very experienced surgeon around that has butchered many people and sent them home very sick.

I do know someone that had a leak and I believe he ultimately died from this surgery and complications from this surgery. It was not just a leak, but it sounded a bit mishandled both during and after-the-fact and a bad subsequent surgery as well. He also said maybe he overdid it too soon after surgery. Too much, too soon. This can really domino into a disaster, so please don't take it lightly.

This is apparently a great surgery for people that are truly overweight, and I have had a good experience since the surgery. But you are removing a great portion of your stomach, like 85%. There is no going backwards once you have lost the majority of this body part!!! It is very important to have the best medical care and to follow doctor's orders.

The downside of going to Mexico, at least in my friend's case, was that once he was sent home here to Houston there were not many bariatric surgeons willing to handle his case. He didn't know what to do, and being so sick it is not a good time to be learning what to do. Sounded like he wound up with non-bariatric surgeons for his subsequent surgeries which caused further damage and ultimately may have contributed to his problem. Believe me, hind sight was 20/20 for him and his family. But that didn't help him, but it could help you by knowing.

I liked having surgery where I live because I knew if something went wrong I would have a doctor HERE at home. And I live in Houston, so there are good doctors here. If I lived somewhere else without an excellent doctor I would travel to the closest excellent doctor.

I am not saying it is bad to go to Mexico, but if it were me I'd check out Dr. Aceves because everyone always says he is wonderful. Sounds like he is super careful and skilled. But honestly, I would definitely stay in Houston and have surgery, bc so many good doctors here. Mexico is quite unsafe right now, and I know bc I traveled there a lot bc my husband is from Mexico. Neither of us go there anymore. Not everyone has a problem, but there again to me why take unnecessary risks? Some people do it to save the money, and I understand that concern.

It is a big decision who to have surgery with.

This is the kind of experience I understood more after the fact than before. So I thought I'd share because it might help just to know an opinion. Some people do not feel like I feel. A lot of people travel to Mexico for surgeries. But there are good doctors AND bad doctors in most places, including Mexico. But if you have a Mexican doctor and get butchered, what recourse do you really have? The laws there are different. In my friend's case the doctor appeared to just wash his hands of him and yet his medical practice just carries on like nothing happened.

who was the Dr. who preformed the surgey on your friend ?

thanks so much for your feed back I have did a lot of research with my Dr ..iam nervous about the violence in mx , but the have people take u there and bring u back to the airport .my ins won't pay for it and I'm sick of being Fat ...keep me in ur prayers my date of surgery is April 26th

Who is your surgen in MX ? The reason I ask is because I am going there as well to have mine done with Dr. Ramos Kelly next month. I think it is scary in Mexico but my friend went to Juarez a while back and was fine. I would not leave the safety of the hotel or hospital other than that I think it will be fine :D I am with you on the cost thing and the fact is that it is just as dangerous to remain this size

My surgeon is Jose Rodriguez I've heard nothin but great feed back with him he's been in the field for 18yrs ..good luck and keep me posted

I had a leak 2 days post- revision from the band. The band had destroyed my stomach tissue. I knew going in my risks, and was NOT surprised by my leak. I survived, and have been thriving for well over a year now. My surgery was performed here in the U.S.

Leaks can happen and you are at risk the first 6-8 weeks post-sleeve, biggest reason for the strict post-op diet of liquids and easily digested foods. You are at highest risk the first 2 weeks, but eating the wrong foods, too much food, excessive vomiting from eating the wrong foods, and pushing through the post-op diet can all contribute to a leak weeks to months out.

There are 2 separate patients on Obesityhelp.com that went 3-5 months with a leak until it was detected. One lady was eating food on day 3 post-op, and her leak went undetected for 3 months, and her recovery took a solid year. The other lady went undiagnosed because she did have her surgery out of the country, and the surgeon just kind of left her out to dry, and the US docs didn't know how to fix the botched surgery. She is alive, but revised to RNY, and deactivated her OH account because she was essentially "burned at the stake" for outing the crappy doctor and their practices.

My doctor said leaks can develop anytime the first 8 weeks. You have a healing staple line and you must be careful. My doctor is very experienced and he was the ONLY doctor who would even operate on me for a revision with all my complications. The first step is asking your doctor for his/her stats. How many leaks, etc? After you find a good surgeon, then you must do your part to eat correctly so your stomach can heal. I know that all of our doctors seem to say different things about healing time, but how could your stomach really be healed after one or two weeks? My incisions on my stomach aren't even all the way healed at three weeks. (Just a thought). Good luck with your surgery.