Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm getting banded!

I just posted my first time this morning.... since then I have made my surgery appointment as well as payingf for my flight to Mexico. My heart is pounding, my nerves are all twinkly. I'm very nervous and excited all at the same time! Please everyone, tell me I'm doing a great thing. I've been fat my entire life. I can not control my eating. Will I be able to beat this rotten eating disorder of mine? Have any of you been fat since 3rd grade? Binging for 30 years like me? HELP!

Congratulations DeLarla!!!I have to tell you that out of every single stinking diet plan and the thousands of $$$ spent that this is the most amazing decisions that i have ever made!I am so happy with my band and have not regretted my decision at all!

The only really hard part is my brain wanting food but no room in my belly.It is impossible to swallow another bite even if you still want to eatThe feeling is very new to me as i was NEVER full before.

Take care and enjoy the excitement.

Chantal:D

I just love your enthusiasm! Congratulations! Sound like your on your way.

I had my band placed in Mexico and went by-my-self. Travel light you shouldn't lift anything heavy, bring some Gatorade, "flip-flops and a book.

Be aware of some gas you will suffer besides port pain (chewable gas-x has helped some). Walk as soon as you are able.

Do a lot of reading on this forum, do some searches located at the top bar next to "home"

Stock up on Protein Drinks, broth's, sugar-free Jell-O...(another thing to search)

Start thinking of how and what you'll be eating from now on.

This is life changing.

Keep us posted

Peace:cool:

Thank you, Chantal. This reply made my tears well up in my eyes. I have 15 days of eating left. I think my food addiction will eventually drive me insane unless I do something crazy like putting handcuffs on my stomach... hey, that's eactly what I'll do by getting a band. Thank you, thank you. Wow, this is unreal.

Thank you, Vera. I'm glad you are positive about my going alone to Mexico. I plan on traveling extremely light. Probably just clean undies, a book, and some bottled Water. Why Gatorade though? Oh, I gave up anything sugar-free. I was diagnosed with something called Sarcoidosis, which is one of those lifetime things that can either come back, or stay away forever. I'm not sick now, but I've read that Aspertame could possibly have caused this auto-immune disease. Are there any people out there that still use moderate sugar in their coffee or tea? I don't plan on drinking sodas, but I'd like to enjoy an occasional Starbucks. Any feedback?

Funny you should mention aspartame, about a your ago I was having hip pain and knew it wasn't my siatic nerve acting up and cut out all diet coke and was reading labels avoiding anything with it in it. Hip is fine now. Since then I heard it was a bunch of hog-wash that there is nothing wrong with aspartame(I still avoid it). Now theirs splenda which I haven't researched but use in small amounts and I do put very little sugar in my tea. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's effected by aspartame. Jell-O wasn't something I ate but have heard that it was a good food for others post Fluid stage. Gatorade is something I was "Prescribe" by my Doctor when I had my Gallbladder remover and when I had my Colon removed and believe it has electrolytes and keeps you hydrated, its my thing.

What a pretty name!

I agree with Vera on the unknown dangers of aspartame. When I read there was a possible link to Alzheimers, well ... I have just read so many bad things about it, why take the chance! Although I will admit to giving in to my Diet Pepsi crave here and there ... but not once my band goes in!!

Vera, I have a lot of hip pain that I have believed to be due to weight and uterine fibroids, but now I'm wondering???

I've heard good things about splenda, thou. I don't really care for Gatorade, but I do like Propel, the fitness Water by Gatorade. It is really tasty and refreshing and my kids love it too!

When is your date, DeLarla? Best wishes to you! Hang out here and you will be as ready as you can be for your trip to Mexico!

Welcome and best wishes, DeLarla, for an uneventful trip and surgery!

A good friend of mine has sarcoidosis, hmmm, I'll have to mention the aspartame thing to her. She already avoids it, though, since her mom had Alzheimer's.

Congratulations on this important decision and big step you're taking toward gaining your health!! :mad: :(:D

Good Luck DeLarla!

I too have been overweight since the 2nd or 3rd grade... food became a source of comfort for many reasons during my childhood and that "full" feeling has continued to be that source of comfort to me. I think that is why the Lap Band will work for me... I will just get that comforting full feeling sooner and I can hardly wait! Take the best of care!

Darcy

All i can say is you go girl !t has been the best three weeks of my life that i can remember. i have been big since i was little i have a pic i show friends of when i was 3 years old and ask them how old they think i was all reply over 5 and i had the fattest face i've seen i have put up with it for long enough my health was starting to suffer (fatty liver, borderline dieabieties (spelling) high blood pressure, heart burn the list goes on. Stick to this site though i have learnt so much from these friendly people on here. Goodluck with it all and hope to hear a report of how well you are doing when you get back from Mexico.

Hi again!:mad:

When you say fifteen days of eating left,what do you mean? fifteen days of eating and then done forever or just awhile?

Cuz after you are done healing you can eat pretty much anything

(maybe trouble with some foods like rice,bread and carbonated stuff)So don't think you will never be able to eat.I try to eat healthy most of the time but if i REALLY need a certain food i will have it.For instance i have been craving a dairy queen cheesecake blizzard for about two weeks now.I will have one eventually and since i know that, the gotta eat toute suite(right now)feeling does not have that much power anymore.

Take care and please come back on once you are back to let us know how you are!!:(

C

Guest Tlktthpw

Congratulations, I jus made our reservations so my husband can go to Mexico with Dr. Rumbaut to get banded. I had mine done last year.

:mad:

Murhpy and all his damn laws! The one time I need my puter most and it's been down 2 days. My husband just found the problem & fixed the broken phone line, so I'm just now reading all my replies. Thanks, everyone! When I said 15 more days of eating, I meant 15 more days of EATING... the way I'm used to doing, which means giving food no thought, eating till I'm stuffed, then eating more, then eating sweets to conquer the saltiness, but then having to have more salty Snacks to overcome the sweets, till I go to bed with horrible belly problems, pain, reflux, ad infinutim. I realize I'll still be able to eat, but not the way I'm used to. Like going to Buca di Beppo, my fave restaurant where they serve platters of food instead of plates. My flight to Mexico is Wed, 5/4/04 and they may do surgery that afternoon. I'm a lil concerned that I'm only spending 2 nights in Mexic, leaving 2pm Saturday, but Nora the coordinator said that's plenty of time. As far as Sarkoidosis, I have done lots of reading and nobody knows the cause, but I did read that it could be caused by inhaling some foreign substance or also from aspertame. I was a Diet Pepsi addict, but now I'm just enjoing the real thing in moderation.

You all have made my day.I am having my sugery Wed.and I am very nerious.But every time I come here I feel so comfortable.I know I am doing the right thing ,but I look at my kids and say why did come to this.I love them so much.They are my life. I just want them to be so proud of me.Anyway thanks.

you all are great

Joyce

Hi Joyce, you are the closest one to my surgery date... you are exactly one week ahead of me. I'm going to Mexico, are you? I'm on-line now in AIM chat. My screen name is Delarla, but I'll be shutting down soon. I think we are doing the right thing. I'm very excited, which is good, because usually I'd be nervous. I have this nervous-giddy-excited feeling, so my instinct tells me this is my only hope. Good luck. Please keep in touch.