Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What brand of yogurt

Where do I purchase yogurt with less than 5 grams

I make my own. It is better than the sugary crap you buy at the store. It is extremely easy to make.

Wild - I was given an Easiyo Yogurt maker for Christmas. It's really easy and so far I like the flavors on offer. So far the benefits I've found is 1) They don't contain added sugar. 2) They don't contain Gelitine and emulsifiers. I think there are other makers on the market but that might be the way to go.

Many excellent observations and recommendations in these comments. I think we all have to make reading nutrition labels a priority in order to get the Protein we require and control carbohydrates which are often the tasty part of our intake. I like the idea of making my own yoghurt. Thanks.

Carbmaster yogurt from Kroger has several new flavors, several of them are very good. Weighing in at 80 calories, 4 carbs, 1.5g of fat, and 12g of Protein, it is the best choice I have found nutritionally. While I do not like all the flavors, I have found several that I really enjoy. Good luck on your yogurt search.

Av

Wild - I was given an Easiyo Yogurt maker for Christmas. It's really easy and so far I like the flavors on offer. So far the benefits I've found is 1) They don't contain added sugar. 2) They don't contain Gelitine and emulsifiers. I think there are other makers on the market but that might be the way to go.

Can you make your own flavors or does it come with flavor packs? I've considered getting one as I eat a lot of yogurt! I'd love to know more about how it works.

Here are some words of caution, before everyone thinks making yogurt is the best thing after sliced bread...

I have made yogurt and I am surprised that everyone says it's not much work and so great. I found it a lot of work, a little messy and time consuming (if you work full time).

Slowly heating up the big pot of milk to 170°, cooling it down to 110° - and if you are over or under it doesn't work. At 110°, you have to slowly stir in the starter bacteria, and if you don't do it right it doesn't work properly. Of course knowing milk, you have to stand by it the whole time and stir. Then transferring the milk to the little cups, which always spilled a little. And then waiting 12 hours or so for the yogurt maker.

If it worked, the yogurt was nice, but often enough, it was too cold, too warm, not stirred sufficiently, the bacteria was exhausted etc. And of course you only know after the whole 12 hours if something went wrong. I had yogurt that was gritty, too liquid, chunky and lumpy...

We used it when my husband was laid off because he was home and had the time. But for everyone who is working full time and trying to exercise and trying to cook healthy food after work, I think it is a lot of work and the outcome is not always guaranteed. I consider myself a decent cook, and I like to cook and make things, but that wasn't it for me.

We have this yogurt maker: http://www.amazon.com/Waring-YM350-Professional-Yogurt-Maker/dp/B0017YS1GI (for sale, if you want it, LOL)

Here is the manual for it, just so you can see how it works before you jump in: http://www.fantes.com/manuals/waring-pro-yogurt-ym350-manual.pdf

Price wise, if you add it all up, it's not much cheaper (if your time is worth something to you).

You need to buy the equipment (starting at $20, mine was more).

Then, for 6 glasses of 8 oz. yogurt:

You need to have 5 oz. of GOOD yogurt at hand for every batch you make (Greek yogurt has between 5 and 7 oz.) = at least $1

You need to buy the milk (1/3 of a gallon for 6 glasses) = $1

At least 1 hour for preparation = $? (you judge)

You have to wait for 12 hours for it to be ready

If you want the Greek yogurt texture or want to use it like sour cream, you now have to strain it which is a mess in and of itself.

-------------------------------------

At least $0.34 per 8 oz. of yogurt, plus equipment cost plus your time plus waiting plus cleaning up = not worth it for me

Believe me, I am a serious yogurt snob and American yogurt still freaks me out with all the additives and the weird texture.

Yes, you can control what goes into your own yogurt - but if you then add sugar free syrups, you are back to square one anyway. And I still prefer my 2% Fage over homemade any day and if I look for a sale and buy in bulk, it is a much better deal for me.

Carbmaster yogurt from Kroger has several new flavors, several of them are very good. Weighing in at 80 calories, 4 carbs, 1.5g of fat, and 12g of Protein, it is the best choice I have found nutritionally. While I do not like all the flavors, I have found several that I really enjoy. Good luck on your yogurt search.

Av

Which flavors have you found that you liked?

I've said it before and I will say it again, Brown Cow Greek Yogurt is wonderful; 23 grams of Protein in a serving (1 cup), 4 grams carbs, no extra creepy chemicals. Toss in some real fruit, slivered or ground nuts, or a drizzle of organic honey and you've got a snack you can be proud of!

I've been using Okios, Chobani, Dannon, and even tried the Kroger brand of greek yogurt, but today the Fage was on sale and OMG. I am in love with this stuff. It does have 8 grams of carbs, but 17g of Protein. I can't eat it all in one sitting (it's a 7oz container) but I split it up and had it 2 times today. Here is what is SO nice about it. The flavor is sooooo mild. I've had to add splenda to my greek yogurt (or sometime SF Torani syrup) just to get over that BITE of sharp flavor. But the Fage is so mild, and creamy, I am in love. Too bad it doesn't go on sale very often. I bought every last container they had (which was exactly 6) at King Soopers today as they were on sale for $1 each. It's so good I might even break down and buy it when it's not on sale. :D

Sheila, I am so jealous! I just shelled out $1.79 for a container of Fage! You did get the 2% or the 0%? Cause I believe it is the higher fat content that makes it mild and oh so delicious and creamy.

I'm a good old believer in Dannon light plain yogurt! Love it and always have. . i can add my own stuff if i want like pumkin spice, nutmeg, cinnamon, extracts, etc. . . or just eat it plain. .

I had Dannon light for a long time until I realized how many carbs it has. I am not "carb phobic" at all, and I even eat white baguette and white rice if I want to - but I don't think that the high carb count in a plain yogurt is "normal". If I recall correctly, it has 16g of carbs? That's twice as much as Fage 2% which has 8g, and to me that was an indicator that they must add something to make it taste sweeter and cut down on the tartness that is inherent to yogurt. After all, yogurt is basically SOUR milk.

Does anyone know why that is?