Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The good thing about being a slow loser

I have a question for all of you...I heard when you on a stall you are losing inches instead of lbs., is this correct??? And how in the world does this work???

I totally think this is true. I haven't lost weight in a few weeks now - and I'm not lying, my body feels like it has shrunk A LOT!!! Sometimes I'll look at myself (like my butt or whatever) and I don't even recognize it's me in the mirror (nice NSV!!) My pants (sizes 16M now) are getting saggy bottom, fitting very loose in the waist and my XL shirts are TOO BIG now. My Larges even getting a loose too. I'm actually smaller now than I ever was with my band. I weigh right now a few pounds more, but my body is definitely smaller.

I just realize I'm not one of the ones who can focus so much on the scale. My sleeve IS WORKING!!! I just have to keep doing what I'm doing and play by a different set of rules. I just go with the flow though. I know I'm gonna have a good loss one of these weeks. :)

I don't think there is an exact science behind it, just something that most of us experience.

In my mind, it works like this:

Imagine a big blobby goopy mass in a plastic bag. That's you :-)

Now you squeeze out 3 pounds of the goop in a week. And then another 2 pounds the next week.

Where that gets squeezed out is not under control, it could come from the middle, from one spot or another.

After that, the stuff in the bag just "rearranges", goop moves around, gets re-situated moves from one side to another. The holes in the middle fill up with goop from the periphery etc.

That's how you "shrink" in your waist, your arms, the legs etc.

I am sure that is not how it really works, but for me it makes sense and explains how I can get slimmer when I don't actually lose weight. That's also how I mentally get through stalls without driving myself crazy.

Just think of cup cake decorating - if you have squeezed a lot of frosting from the piping bag, you have to move frosting from the top of the bag to the bottom to be able to squeeze it out again :-)

Haaa!!! I LOVE THIS!!!

Sounds like comedy - but I think you are on to something. ;)

Until now i have skipped over this post because I don't get my sleeve for two weeks... then I read it today and it is so ME in the past. I bet it will be me on the sleeve too. Last time I belonged to WW I lost 20 lbs... in two years! I too lose super slowly on diets and then stall out for weeks... and quit. The up side is I seem to gain it all back slowly when I lose it slowly. The times I was on kooky fasts and unsustainable sh*t like that, and lost weight fast, I gained it back fast too.

I am a volume eater, so I hope the sleeve will help me to stay on track that way.

I have never had problems with my skin when losing weight fast, I am older now so who knows, but I hope this is an upside to losing slowly.

Another upside to losing slowly? You gals are great, and we have found each other here because we are s-l-o-w losers!biggrin.gif

I read an article from a Doctor about why stalls happen. I'd assume (you know, it makes me an ass) that if we all up our Water intake and that would move things along a bit. Anyway the jist of what he said was that the body has about 8 liters of Water on reserve. When we don't drink enough fluids the body uses these reserves over a week or so. You will see weight drop fast then because your body is dropping pounds but not storing water. Once your reserves are low your body will start holding onto water so while it builds up the liters of water you may still be droping pounds of fat but it will not be reflected on the scale because the water. That makes sense to me and also accounts for the sometimes gains I see even though I know I can't gain on 800 calories. It also accounts for the sudden drops in weight.

Would be interested to see what would happen if we all posted our daily water intake and left everything else the same. If we even upped our water to see if it makes a difference.

On a side note I dropped a pound yesterday and I've hit my first 50 gone! WOOT!

I have a question for all of you...I heard when you on a stall you are losing inches instead of lbs., is this correct??? And how in the world does this work???

OH MAN... this is another reason why losing SLOW is GOOD....

My scales has moved just 7lb since mid OCT!!!! BUT I think I am down a full size, especially around the waist and legs (trousers size)!!!! I am toooooo scared to try a size 16 on though; just incase....lol... Oh waht a tizz I get myself in!!

Until now i have skipped over this post because I don't get my sleeve for two weeks... then I read it today and it is so ME in the past. I bet it will be me on the sleeve too. Last time I belonged to WW I lost 20 lbs... in two years! I too lose super slowly on diets and then stall out for weeks... and quit. The up side is I seem to gain it all back slowly when I lose it slowly. The times I was on kooky fasts and unsustainable sh*t like that, and lost weight fast, I gained it back fast too.

I am a volume eater, so I hope the sleeve will help me to stay on track that way.

I have never had problems with my skin when losing weight fast, I am older now so who knows, but I hope this is an upside to losing slowly.

Another upside to losing slowly? You gals are great, and we have found each other here because we are s-l-o-w losers!biggrin.gif

Glad you joined us...lol... this isn't so much about moaning, but uniting... nothing wrong with slow losing... as long as it all comes off!!! Which it will do in time and hey, I have time to wait!! =]

Hey...

day four of the pouch test... no weight loss!!! *sighs* ...

been a tough day as I have spent most of it in the hospital... got the all clear after more tests... when I had pnuemonia, there was a mark on the x ray... and now it has gone!! YEY me...

This however, impacted on my day cos my eating pattern has all gone.... still on just Protein but I had to make to with a salami type sausage thing for lunch... nive to chew though...lol

Had turkey for tea, grilled with some spices and that was lovely!

Struggling to get my Water in today though... but will do my best during the evening!

Tomorrow is my offical weigh day, when I record my weight, so I am praying that there will be minus a pound... but I do have one more day to go! - Oh and aunty flo still ain't here!!

I haven't lost a single pound and this is my 4th day on pouch test, but I am losing inches, cause my size 14's are getting looser and looser, soon I'm gonna be able to wear my size 12 jeans!!!!!!!!!!! So if the weight isn't dropping i'm goona try not to worry too much!

I read an article from a Doctor about why stalls happen. I'd assume (you know, it makes me an ass) that if we all up our Water intake and that would move things along a bit. Anyway the jist of what he said was that the body has about 8 liters of Water on reserve. When we don't drink enough fluids the body uses these reserves over a week or so. You will see weight drop fast then because your body is dropping pounds but not storing water. Once your reserves are low your body will start holding onto water so while it builds up the liters of water you may still be droping pounds of fat but it will not be reflected on the scale because the water. That makes sense to me and also accounts for the sometimes gains I see even though I know I can't gain on 800 calories. It also accounts for the sudden drops in weight.

Would be interested to see what would happen if we all posted our daily water intake and left everything else the same. If we even upped our water to see if it makes a difference.

Firstly, CONGRATS to you on your 50 gone FOREVER!!! :D

Next - I don't know, I'm always drinking my 64 oz and most of the time its up to 80 oz or more of water per day. I really am not sure if drinking more helps ME or not (besides just plain feeling good)... Maybe I'm just a weirdo!! I'm only ASSuming that tho... :lol:

Hey...

day four of the pouch test... no weight loss!!! *sighs* ...

been a tough day as I have spent most of it in the hospital... got the all clear after more tests... when I had pnuemonia, there was a mark on the x ray... and now it has gone!! YEY me...

This however, impacted on my day cos my eating pattern has all gone.... still on just Protein but I had to make to with a salami type sausage thing for lunch... nive to chew though...lol

Had turkey for tea, grilled with some spices and that was lovely!

Struggling to get my Water in today though... but will do my best during the evening!

Tomorrow is my offical weigh day, when I record my weight, so I am praying that there will be minus a pound... but I do have one more day to go! - Oh and aunty flo still ain't here!!

Good job!! Sorry but I wasn't perfect - but that's ok. It's so hard for me around this time. Like I said earlier though, it IS happening :) You're doing fabulous and you WILL have a drop soon!!!

I haven't lost a single pound and this is my 4th day on pouch test, but I am losing inches, cause my size 14's are getting looser and looser, soon I'm gonna be able to wear my size 12 jeans!!!!!!!!!!! So if the weight isn't dropping i'm goona try not to worry too much!

Woohooooo!!!!! Isn't that like an 8 or 10 here in US??? CONGRATS LADY!!!

CONGRATS on 50 lbs. whoo hoo!!!

I totally think this is true. I haven't lost weight in a few weeks now - and I'm not lying, my body feels like it has shrunk A LOT!!! Sometimes I'll look at myself (like my butt or whatever) and I don't even recognize it's me in the mirror (nice NSV!!) My pants (sizes 16M now) are getting saggy bottom, fitting very loose in the waist and my XL shirts are TOO BIG now. My Larges even getting a loose too. I'm actually smaller now than I ever was with my band. I weigh right now a few pounds more, but my body is definitely smaller.

I just realize I'm not one of the ones who can focus so much on the scale. My sleeve IS WORKING!!! I just have to keep doing what I'm doing and play by a different set of rules. I just go with the flow though. I know I'm gonna have a good loss one of these weeks. :)

Yayyyy YOU GO DIVA :)

Woohooooo!!!!! Isn't that like an 8 or 10 here in US??? CONGRATS LADY!!!

It's a size 10 US, but I'll let you all know, and probably the rest of the world cause I''ll be screaming at the top of my lungs when I can actually put them on and look good in them, can't wait, even though the pounds are shifting at the moment despite the pouch test :(

I don't think there is an exact science behind it, just something that most of us experience.

In my mind, it works like this:

Imagine a big blobby goopy mass in a plastic bag. That's you :-)

Now you squeeze out 3 pounds of the goop in a week. And then another 2 pounds the next week.

Where that gets squeezed out is not under control, it could come from the middle, from one spot or another.

After that, the stuff in the bag just "rearranges", goop moves around, gets re-situated moves from one side to another. The holes in the middle fill up with goop from the periphery etc.

That's how you "shrink" in your waist, your arms, the legs etc.

I am sure that is not how it really works, but for me it makes sense and explains how I can get slimmer when I don't actually lose weight. That's also how I mentally get through stalls without driving myself crazy.

Just think of cup cake decorating - if you have squeezed a lot of frosting from the piping bag, you have to move frosting from the top of the bag to the bottom to be able to squeeze it out again :-)

That's the best example ever! Love it.