Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to sleeve revision...maybe

I had a Realize band put in over a year ago. Despite 'working' this band, I have not taken any weight off with it. I lost weight pre-surgery (was not required to be on a special diet...just happened), but nothing after. All I've done this past year is 'maintain' that loss and only through sheer willpower. Now my surgeon has suggested a vertical sleeve...but after reading some of the posts here, I wonder if I'm not trading in one problem for another. Are there any here who've had the sleeve for several years? If so, I'd love to get some feedback...

According to some articles, despite the lack of the stomach, the body will once again start producing ghelin after something like 18 months. Does this mean I will once again have to deal with the hunger?

What kind of hunger are we talking about? I can deal with normal hunger...even the stomach growling hunger that comes from waiting way too long to eat. Will this curb the hunger that makes me eat enough food at one meal for 3 lumberjacks? I know the size of the new stomach will stop me (just as the band did)...but will I be left with this hunger or will it stop?

I'm not suggesting that I want to be able to pig out again, but let's face it...a cup of food is nothing. Will I never be able to eat like a normal person...small salad, 3-4 ounces of Protein, a vegie, maybe some rice? A bite or two of dessert?

I've heard that people with the VGS end up on reflux medications as a normal rule. Wondering if this is true and, if so, why? It strikes me as less of a possibility than those having a band, but haven't heard too many with bands needing reflux meds.

None of this is necessarily a deal break, but I want to be absolutely sure of what I'm getting into. For me, there are worse things than being fat.

There's only one member here that's more than 2 years post-sleeve. I'm nearly 18 months out, and experience zero real hunger. My stomach never growls, I still have to remember to eat, and I've been maintaining for the last 6 months extremely easily.

I eat like a normal person now, at least my perception of normal. I can stretch my meal out, and eat all of what you listed above. Yesterday for lunch, I had a small salad, 4 saltine crackers, and cup of Soup with 4 more saltine crackers, big glass of sweet tea, and I split a marshmallow fluff/walnut brownie thing with a girlfriend. So, for me that's pretty stinkin' normal. Last night for dinner, I made parmesan chicken (baked breaded chicken breast), with angel hair Pasta. I ate about 3 oz of chicken, with marinara sauce and literally a few bites of Pasta. The chicken filled me up, but I wanted some noodles, and was content with what I ate.

Everyone that I've seen post that still has some degree of hunger all state it's not the same as with their band, or pre-sleeve if they weren't a revision. For me, it's an empty feeling, and if I go too long I get a bit grouchy.

I had the same issue as you do with my band. I would eat, the food I ate would satisfy me for about an hour, then the food would slip through the pouch, and BAM hello ravenous hunger.

If you'd like to add me to your friends list, you can pull up my blog from my profile, and within my blog are tons of research links, dietary guidelines, articles and other information about the sleeve. The one link that was most interesting to me is the one that studies plasma ghrelin levels post-sleeve vs. RNY and Band.

As for the acid reflux, I never had it pre-sleeve. But, I know just as many band patients on a PPI as I know sleeve patients. I choose to remain on my Prilosec. The risks are so minimal that I'm not concerned, and I truly believe in "why fix something that isn't broken?". For me, I'll pop a Prilosec every day to not be hungry, and to not deal with reflux. Some people wean off of their PPI 3-6 months post sleeve. Some do not or can not wean off of it. I probably could at this point, and kept saying that I would, but I'm not in any hurry to test the proverbial "reflux waters". A few have been successful on weaning off without real major reflux, but I enjoy spicy food, and acidic alcoholic beverages, plus some of them report getting hungry a couple of hours after eating. For me, it's pure laziness, and I honestly love, love not ever being hungry. Don't get me wrong, I still love food, and have an appetite, but I don't want to be ravenous hungry like I was with my band or pre-band. Immediately post-op, the small stomach doesn't realize it needs to make less acid, and PPI protects the healing staple line that's the reason why most sleeve patients go on a PPI.

The sleeve is honestly the best decision I ever made. I hated life with the band, and don't miss it at all. If you have any other specific questions, feel free to shoot me a message.

Hi Elfie I thought I might find you looking for information here. Elcie from lap band talk said you were looking for info on band to sleeve revision. Welcome to the site here and Tiffykins who responded above is the resident expert and will be a great source of information and inspiration. There are many more band to sleeve revisers who also can help you out. Good luck!

Welcome to VST Elfie!

Well, I'll keep mine short and to the point. My band gave me issues from day one. I never got the "not hungry" as promised, I never EVER found my elusive "sweet spot" in 1.5 years in search of and over 20 fills/unfills -- so here I am.

I'm sleeved now for 2 months. I'm losing so fast I can't keep my wardrobe straight and EVERYONE is noticing. Funny that I chose not to tell anyone this time, so I just say I'm doing the Atkins diet... which is true.

I don't regret this decision for one second. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, and so glad my band is gone.

Thank you all for responding. I got the band because it was less invasive. Bypass was not...and still is not...an option for me. Rearranging my insides just doesn't appeal and there are worse things than being fat (at least for me). The sleeve is a bit scary because it's still major compared to the band and I worry that it won't work either.

My surgeon had to take the rest of my fill out yesterday because the phrenic nerve pain in my arm had gotten so bad I couldn't lie down without serious pain. I have at least 6 weeks most likely before I know whether my insurance will pay for the revision and am gathering as much info as I can.

One of the things I read in one of the articles posted here was that the appetite was dimmed for about 18 months (?) after sleeve surgery because the stomach wasn't manufacturing ghelin, but that eventually the body figures out a way around this and will once more start pumping it out. I'm a bit concerned that the hunger will come back...kind of why I wish there were people on here who were a couple years out.

There are some long termers over on Obesityhelp.com

Here is the link for the one member here that I believe is 3 years out, they have posted a few times, but typically it seems that most "vets" are out living life and they don't frequent the board very much.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/user/954-luck/

I have several posts for members 2-5 years out bookmarked on obesityhelp.com

I have never read any personal stories of hunger returning to what it was pre-op. Most report an empty, gnawing hunger ever 3-6 hours, they eat a small portion and go about their day. If you'll do a search up in the top for "hunger after sleeve" maybe you can get some of the other stories from members on here. Ghrelin is also made in the pancreas so we're not completely without it. Even though I have no physical hunger, I still crave certain foods, I still love food, and sometimes the fat girl wins, and I eat whatever I want. It's not a magic bullet, but it does work when you eat Protein first to keep your body satisfied longer.

Here are the studies for ghrelin levels if you're interested:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18376181?ordinalpos=12&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.bernhard-ludvik.at/download/pub/2005_ref61.pdf

With the sleeve, it's strictly restrictive so you still have make good choices. If I wanted to, I could still suck down a 3000 calorie milkshake, but I could do that with the band or RNY. Nothing fixes decision/choice making except us making the constant effort to feed our body properly. The sleeve does offer Portion Control, and major restriction immediately, but it's not going to keep you from eating poor food choices that will inevitably impede your weight loss.

Best wishes in your research.

Hi,

I'm also a band to sleeve or sleeve plication patient. I have had the band for 9 years and did great the first 6-7 years. I also never really found the "sweet spot". I can't have a bypass so I'm looking at either the sleeve or most likely, sleeve plication. I found a lot of info about the sleeve on YouTube. There are quite a few people who are 3+ years out with the sleeve on there. Good luck with your revision.