Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any January Sleevers?

I was just scheduled for Jan 12th! I am a self payer and do not have to do the Dr. dance, no psych, no heart test, nothing~! Just show up at 7:30 am date of surgery after having followed a full liquid diet a week before and a clear liquid diet for the last 12 hours. The Dr office even gave me a ton of sample of Protein shakes, from all over the place. Like powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury, Bariatric Advantage, and some unflavored Protein too so I can try them all.

I think I may try a couple but leave the rest till after the surgery because I hear your taste changes a lot after surgery.

What is everyone bringing to the hospital? I have to go alone as my husband has to stay home with the kids. He'll just be my driver.

I'm thinking of bringing my:

sippy cup so I can remember to sip sip sip and not gulp.

My kindle so I can read when I cannot sleep

Comfortable clothes, although everything is so tight on me now....I want to buy a comfy outfit to wear out of the hospital but know I never use it again in that size.

My daily medicine and my pills already cut up for easier swallowing.

Possibly my cell phone and ipod (I don't want these stole though and like I said, I'll be there alone with no one to watch my stuff.

Can anyone else think of things to bring.... ????

I am going to be scheduling my surgery for January 2011. It may happen as soon as the 6th. I have chosen Dr. Guillermo Alvarez in Piedras Negras, Mexico to as my surgeon (www.endobariatric.com) for several reasons. The first, and most important, is that he seems to be a very good surgeon and cares about his patients. I've seen lots of good reviews about him, the staff, and the experience in general. The second is that he speaks very good English. I chose Mexico because my insurance does not cover me and I am paying cash, but I still feel it's very important to be able to communicate with my doctor. Three, my sister lives about 3.5 hours away and I can stay with her and still be moderately close by instead of flying back home immediately (just in case of any complications.)

I'm not nervous about the surgery. I've had two laparoscopies before (one for endometriosis and one for gallbladder removal) and a few other kinds of surgery following a car accident, and I've always come through it well. It's not fun to come out of the anesthesia, but it's better than not coming out of it!!! (Dark/sarcastic sense of humor here.)

The coordinator told me that I would need to do the pre-surgical liquid diet for three weeks. That means that if my surgery is on the 6th of January, I will be starting the liquid diet on December 16!! That's less than 2 weeks!! She said that I could lose 15 to 20 pounds just from that.

I saw that there was someone who was asking about what to bring. The coordinator is supposed to send me a list of things I will need, but there are things I know I will want with me. Since I'll be staying two nights in the hospital after, I will want stuff so I won't be bored!!! I'll bring my laptop and a few DVD's. There's wifi so I can probably watch Netflix and email people. I'll also bring my iPhone so I can listen to music and audio books. They have a US phone line so I won't need to use it for phone calls. I heard from someone else to have a sports bra, or a bra without underwires. I'll bring some comfy clothes, undies, socks and a comfy pair of shoes. Toiletries. That's about all I can think of.

Anyway, best wishes to everyone! Hope everything goes great!!

I got my date, January 12th! I am beyond excited, I wish it was sooner. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all so we can support each other as we are going thru this at about the same time.

My surgery is scheduled for January 25th. My Doctor is Dr. John J. Gonzalez in San Antonio Texas. I am really glad I found this forum to get some insights from the experienced sleevers. I look forward to seeing everyone's success stories from the January group.

I'm getting sleeved Jan 11th in Grand Rapids Michigan have been exercising and starting make better choices on food. I'm getting a bit nervous but yet excited.

I am scheduled for Jan 6th.... Happy New Year to us! I have been reducing my carbs, diet soda and increasing my Protein and H2O to prepare... will start my pre-op liquids on Jan 1st. Will try to significantly increase my Proteins over Christmas holidays - which will be a challenge with all of the holiday goodies that usually hit our office and parties at that time. But I know I have to change my entire life not just the size of my stomach. laugh.gif

I am going to Mexico... how about you? Dr Ramos-Kelly is my surgeon. I am counting the days... let's see I board the plane 7 weeks from tomorrow - and in 50 days I will be sleeved! I am ready for a change in my life.

Kim

Did you get your date set yet? Mine is January 11th nervous but yet excited

I am doing mine in January, I have a Pre Op appt. on Dec 2nd in which we will set the date. So I am thinking early to mid January. It has been a hard decision for me for some reason, I first saw the Doc in August to start discussing this. I am ready now and know that it is the best thing for me. Good luck to you all!

Hello, I get sleeved jan 11th and I get to go over everything Dec 22nd so the time is coming quickly. Bit nervous but yet excited>quote name='TynMcsMom' timestamp='1290435186' post='93980']

Hi,

I'm new to this site too. I am not sure my date but am looking to go in January (hopefully). I just had a 5 hour class about the procedure and it made me a bit nervous. Does anyone else worry about the lifestyle change? Maybe the class was a bit overwhelming but it sure made me think about everything that I would be giving up. But then again, think about what I will be gaining... I guess I just need some time to process.

Thanks for letting me ramble on...

Wow - that will be here before you know it... I leave in 28 days.... whoot! 2011 is going to be a great year for us January 2011 sleevers!

Kim

Got my surgery date today and I'm scheduled for January 3rd! 4 weeks away, I'm excited and nervous!

Yes I have my date, it is 27 January. I think I am ready, as it gets closer I may get a bit more nervous, but it took me a couple of months to decide if I really wanted to do this. Once I decided, then I have been at peace with that and have only looked foward to it, but at the sametime enjoying some treats now, as I know that I won't be able to have them after.

Did you get your date set yet? Mine is January 11th nervous but yet excited

Hey there,

I am also 5'7" and about 228 or so, I had lost 9 lbs, but then gained about 3 back. I am working out, but the holiday treats are getting me. Good luck with your surgery. I was wondering how that works with flying after the surgery, I decided to do January and not December because we are flying around Christmas. I also want to be in my own home afterward and not family, so that was another reason why I decided to wait. How long after the surgery will you fly home?

This list is growing that is great! I hope we are all able to provide support to each other as we prepare for surgery and after! 2011 is going to be a great year for all of us! It's December already.... what comes next...January! I have surgery in 35 days - Jan 6th is my date! I will be leaving for Mexico in 34 days, cannot wait to get out of this cold Minnesota weather for a while - even if it's to have surgery. I am currently at 230lbs - lost almost 9 lbs in November by low carbing and eating more Protein. I am not a big Water drinker and have been trying to get in 50-60 oz a day. I know I will need to get at least that after surgery.

SO 230 lb wonder where I will be at this time next year? I would like to lose 70 more pounds.... I think I can do it. I am 5'7"

kim

January 6th here. :)

For those of you just starting our first classes and dr. appointments don't get your hopes up that you'll be having surgery in January... it's a process. A long process. A reputable surgeon will likely take 3-6 months of pre-op classes/appointments/weigh ins/etc. etc. etc. "hoops" and you still have insurance to deal with. Just not wanting to see any newbies after their first appointments get their hopes up too soon.