Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Trouble Eating

I'm a week a few days out from being sleeved and just started my mushies phase. However, I'm having trouble eating because almost everything I choose is making me ill. I know for a fact I'm not getting in enough Protein. I've tried about 5 different Protein shakes and they all make me sick.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm not so concerned about getting in enough food as I am in making sure that I keep my protein intake up.

Are you getting enough Water in too? Sometimes that can make us not feel so good if we aren't.

Also you are only a little over a week out from surgery. Maybe you are moving to fast through stages. I just started my mushies phase and I was sleeved on the 15th. I don't even really eat them all day either... I still have to take it slow going.

Perhaps you would do better by reverting back to the previous stage for a few days and try again.

Good luck!

I agree with lilmissdiva try backing it up a steap your tummy might not be ready for the next stage. Everyones directions are different and everyones healing is different.

I saw my doc today and told him the same thing. He said every time I have a throwing up experience (it's happened twice so far) I'm going to ask myself.. did I eat too much, did I eat too fast, did I eat the wrong thing? He said just go back to clear liquid for a day and start over slowly adding in. He told me get baby plates, baby bowls and baby spoons and only measure out 1/4 cup. Today is my first day doing okay with eating and not having the dreaded nausea afterwards. I've done okay.

For Protein, I had one of the healthy shot Protein Shots, mixed it in crystal light. And I also made a recipe from my bariatric coordinator, an eggnog shake. It wasn't wonderful, but I did manage to drink it. So I got my Protein quote for today thank God. Have you researched different Proteins? A friend told me about nectar. I googled it and ordered some. I agree... hard to find something that you really WANT to drink. It's all so blah. But I think it's a serious part of our future. I have some more recipes to try, I could share if you'd like? There are some in the WLS for Dummies book too that have a lot of protein in them.

Good luck. Every time I see one of your posts, I always agree and go... yeah I feel that way too. LOL!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I saw my doctor before I left Jacksonville and he told me to move it up to mushies, but perhaps I should go back a level. I'm not even sure if mushies are the stage I'm in; that's what he called it. In my bariatric notebook, they call it "full liquids." I can eat cream based Soups (with no actual food pieces in them), cottage cheese, yogurt, soft cheese, crackers, and mashed potatoes, in addition to everything from Clear Liquids. Is that the same? But I hardly eat any of that because so far I've tried all of it and it all makes me sick. Except the crackers, which I only eat when I'm feeling sick.

I barely eat during the day, too, especially if I start feeling nauseous. I'm definitely going to look for some Protein shots though. I just can't wait until I can eat without feeling like it was a bad idea. LOL

Thanks again!

Just take it easy and take it one day at a time :)...I'm six weeks out tomorrow and still have a difficult time getting it all in. I try not to be too hard on myself and know that eventually it will all come together :)

It's scary living on only a hundred calories or so. I am at day four so I know it will change. It just doesn't seem healthy. The thought of or even sight of food grosses me out right now. I guess this is a "good" thing now, but it is still scary.

PS: How do you get your ticker on here? I made one, but cannot figure out the transfer.

261 high, 237 day of surgery, 229 today --- goal 161

PS: How do you get your ticker on here? I made one, but cannot figure out the transfer.

261 high, 237 day of surgery, 229 today --- goal 161

When you have completed your ticker, copy the "bb Code" onto the Signature typing box and save.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I saw my doctor before I left Jacksonville and he told me to move it up to mushies, but perhaps I should go back a level. I'm not even sure if mushies are the stage I'm in; that's what he called it. In my bariatric notebook, they call it "full liquids." I can eat cream based Soups (with no actual food pieces in them), cottage cheese, yogurt, soft cheese, crackers, and mashed potatoes, in addition to everything from Clear Liquids. Is that the same? But I hardly eat any of that because so far I've tried all of it and it all makes me sick. Except the crackers, which I only eat when I'm feeling sick.

I barely eat during the day, too, especially if I start feeling nauseous. I'm definitely going to look for some Protein shots though. I just can't wait until I can eat without feeling like it was a bad idea. LOL

Thanks again!

I had surgery 9/22 and I am eating the EXACT same things as you. The only thing I had added is refried Beans. Just give yourself an extra week. I am having a hard time and am not inclined to push it. vomiting is not good for you so just take it slow.

Hi fleur,

i had the surgery the same day and we have the sme diet plan as my surgeon told me to start mushes but its really hard taking that stuff in , i feel bloated and nauseous, i love the smell of food still just cant eat anything with out feeling like i want to puke, I did try those Protein Shots from Walmart and mixed it with some propel Water and it didn't taste too bad. Good Luck