Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting my VSG Journey...I think

I?ve been thinking about WLS for 3 years, but haven?t been ready to make the commitment to move forward. I had attended a seminar about 2 years and was considering lap-band, but just couldn?t get my head around it. Was struggling w/ the thought of the port, the idea of frequent fills, and the potential side effects (productive burping?!) that I seemed to read an awful lot about. In the meantime, my 70 year old mother actually had that surgery and although she?s been successful at getting some of the weight off (not all), her side effects have confirmed that it?s not the right surgery for me.

Although I work full-time and carry the health benefits, my health insurance policy doesn?t cover any WLS. Since I will be paying out of pocket, I?ve had the chance to truly evaluate the various options (i.e. didn?t have to worry about approval) and I?ve settled on the Vertical Sleeve. I arrived at this after attending another seminar, reading boards, and talking with a few doctors.

I?m 45 years old and have been overweight as a child. Fortunately I haven?t yet felt the health complications associated being morbidly obese (no diabetes, normal blood pressure), but I know it?s just a matter of time.

So despite having been down many, many dieting roads in the past and knowing that I want to lead a long, healthy, and active life, I?m still scared about this enormous change.

Here?s the thing?..I?m not scared about the procedure itself, but rather of the life-changing effects after the surgery.

I truly enjoy cooking, eating, dining out, entertaining and snacking at night. Too much of all of this is exactly what has kept me 90-100 lbs overweight and yet, I?m worried about letting this go. Will I really get used to eating just a few tablespoons of food and mentally find it satisfying, how will my head stay in line with what my body/stomach says is right? Maybe this sounds silly, but it?s where I am right now.

I?m 4 weeks away from surgery and just hoping that when I wake up with this new tool, I?ll really be ready to use it and hope that it really does help get me to a healthier place and then stay at that healthier place. I also hope that eventually my head gets into the right gear, but I remain unsure as I?ve never had success in keeping weight off.

Don?t know what else to say. I?ve been doing a lot of lurking, but this is my first post. Guess I?ll end with I?m glad I found this place and thanks for listening.

Mysparky:I completely understand your feelings. I've had my sleeve done 7 weeks ago and lost a total of 38 pounds (including the pre-op diet) which compared to some is slow but I'm really happy with it and so is my surgeon. I too love/loved the social bit and every aspect really of food. Preparing, eating with friends and family and specially my nibbles w drinks on weekend nights! At first I totally mourned food, even though I wasn't even hungry, I had mental hunger. Tonight is a bad night for some reason I feel hungry, the good thing is that I cannot physically overeat, so I'm looking for comfort on this forum! The positives outweigh the negatives big time, I'm feeling fantastic, more confident, healthier, more energy. Most of the time I'm fine and food isn't an issue, I just get on with it. You're right about what you say about your head and stomach, but I think thats why this option is a ggod one. I know that without my sleeve I would've given up w my diet one more time, and then slowly regain all and more. The idea is that it the 1st 6-9 months our heads get round and used to eating less, so by the time we can physically eat more we've already have our new good eating habits deeply ingrained in our brain! OK I could go on and on, but yes,you will have some hard times but the good times are some much more and so exciting! The best of luck in your journey, you will love your sleeve!

chilo1 -

Congrats on your success so far and thank you for responding so quickly to my first post. So reassuring to read about the common concerns/struggles. You know, what you wrote about the fact that, by now, you would have given up on your diet and gained back the weight, really resonates with me. 7 weeks on a diet without any tools is really hard and there have been times that getting past day 3 just about seems impossible! I'm glad to read that this tool, while not the magic cure, is a very strong ally in the weight loss battle.

In addition, I had never considered that while my stomach is not allowing me to overeat at the beginning of the journey, my head will start to learn the proper behavior. That makes sense as well.

I'm going to continue to read and post on the boards and I think it will help greatly.

Thank you again.

mysparky

Well hello lady's, "Mysparky & Chilo1", I am so glad I read your post. A lot of things you both said, hit a nerve.Well everything both of you said is exactly what I have been feeling since Aug 19th. I went to the seminor and was going with the Lap-Band, well I quickly changed my mind after reading how many people have gone with the Sleeve instead...I am 350lbs and my BMI is 54 so you know I am really serious. I am 53yrs old and have a lot of youth and no real heatlh threats. I have high blood, but I think this wil take care of that. I was seeing a theropist for awhile and have to see her again do to my new advanture to stop the pain in my knees and back. I am really greatful for your post....Hopefully I can read how you both are doing and once again thanks for being here for , well someone you don't even know but "understand" Have a great day or evening and good luck, everything will be ok....elite53:thumbup: