Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inexpensive self pay in the USA

Do any of you know if they do low BMI's in the US for self-pay? I'm currently BMI 33 and I'm trying to decide if the US or Mexico would be a better option for me.

Do any of you know if they do low BMI's in the US for self-pay? I'm currently BMI 33 and I'm trying to decide if the US or Mexico would be a better option for me.

I'm not sure how low they will go in the States, but Nina with Dr. Aceve's office told me he will perform surgery on anyone with a BMI of 30 or above.

Oh, how I wish I had known about the sleeve several years ago when I WAS a 30 BMI...rolleyes.gif

I believe Acadiana weigh tloss surgery may you would have to see surgeon

I had my done on 3-14-2011 and paid 4500 with Dr. Almanza at Jerasulem hospital in Tijuana Mexico same as Leesey.

That seems to be a good price. I think it runs about the same cost here in Phoenix, AZ, too. Ronda

Mine was $12,200 (the $200 was for the initial consult, which the insurance did pick up). That includes his fee, the anesthesia fee, the hospital fee, overnight in the hospital, access to the NUT, two years of follow-up visits, and support group meetings. I don't think you're going to find anything nearly as cheap as Mexico in the States.

I believe the lowest BMI for any WLS is 35. That ruling just came down through the FDA. Ronda

Finding a physician that will do a VSG Having a BMI <35 will require some homework. The reality of all this is that the surgeon has a hard time finding an anesthesiologist that will want to do the procedure.

When performing a VSG a cardioanesthesiologist is your best bet and the safest one...

Dr. A sleever, Mexicali Mexico, March 29. I paid 8750 but I also flew first class for 2K; you could probably get much cheaper tickets than that to San Diego. Can't say enough good things about the guy. I still write their office like every day with ridiculous questions and they don't seem to mind.

I can't even remember how I got started with them but I think I called the number on this site.

http://www.mexicolapband.com/contactus.php

The lowest price I've found here in the Detroit area is 11,500 from a doctor with a good reputation. Would love to find a US doctor for a lowere price but doubt I will. With all the trouble in the news about Mexico, I'm pretty concerned about traveling there for surgery.

Well it depends. Mexicalli where Dr Aceves is not even 5 minutes across the boarder and was very safe. I believe the futher you get down into Mexico the more of the things you hear about TV happen. In any case I wouldn't walk around at night. With Dr Aceves you are shuttled everywhere and the area is very nice. The media in the US has a habit of demonizing and criminalizing Mexico I'd believe about 1/2 what you hear.

There was a surgeon in Lousiana doing the VSG for around $9000. I think his name was Dr Borland.

I know that Dr. Miles and Schmitt at Alabama Weight Loss Surgeries in Birmingham does the sleeve for 14,000 for outpatient and 16,950 if you require an overnight stay. I am using them in July for the sleeve. rolleyes.gif

What do people that are operated on in Mexico do about follow up in the US if they have any problems?