Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone smoke weed before or after surgery?

Thanks. I need no help with Munchies!!! They need to discover an anorexia weed.

Anorexia is not a joke, should not be joked about, and it is disappointing to see the founder of this website "liking" that kind of joke. Words have power.

Anorexia is not a joke, should not be joked about, and it is disappointing to see the founder of this website "liking" that kind of joke. Words have power.

You joined 5 days ago and are complaining about a post that is months old...

Thanks. I need no help with Munchies!!! They need to discover an anorexia weed.

Hey Sarah, look around research and continue to share your thoughts and feelings. While I am sorry if I hurt your feelings, when you get to know me better you'll discover that I am tongue in cheek on EVERY subject. I have no doubt that I'll hurt 'em again, but never with malice. I am glad you are here. And thanks Cubbies for the good point.

Hi all..wow there are a lot of strong opinions about mj! I am a nurse and I smoke mj in moderation to reduce anxiety and stress, its helped me more than any pill can..mj has actually been used for thousands of years for its medicinal healing properities! It is not at all like smoking tobacco not even close! I am quitting now because I'm having surgery in 2 wks and want my outcomes to be the best they can possibly be! I don't plan on smoking after surgery for at least 3 months..I just think people should really do their research about mj before commenting and or passing judgment on someone else!

Girl!!! I've been waiting for a post like this! I would smoke all day every day, but the week before I slowed it down until the last day. I actually smoked a few blunts literally the day before surgery. But after surgery I actually been too scared to smoke at all And I'm going on 3 weeks post op. Plus smoking weed was one of my problems munchies for me wasn't "munchies", it was like 2 more meals than I actually needed.

Hi all..wow there are a lot of strong opinions about mj! I am a nurse and I smoke mj in moderation to reduce anxiety and stress, its helped me more than any pill can..mj has actually been used for thousands of years for its medicinal healing properities! It is not at all like smoking tobacco not even close! I am quitting now because I'm having surgery in 2 wks and want my outcomes to be the best they can possibly be! I don't plan on smoking after surgery for at least 3 months..I just think people should really do their research about mj before commenting and or passing judgment on someone else!

. I know this a pretty old post, but I found it a couple of days ago. I'm currently a nursing student who is in the process of getting cleared for the VSG. I medicate using MJ as well for the same reasons and lower back pain. I was told by my surgeon that I should stop usage 6 weeks before surgery and to no longer smoke afterwards(just edibles). I want to know your experience with smoking after surgery & how you are passing drug tests as a nurse.

Doesn't weed smoking cause you to be hungry ?? I wouldn't smoke it for that reason alone

Hi everyone,

I am two weeks post-op, and tomorrow is my best friend's birthday. So I have a question regarding smoking pot, I haven't found many informations on the French speaking web (except doctors saying it's the devil) and this website seems to be more on point.

Basically, I was wondering if it would a big problem if I had half a joint or so at my best friend's birthday now that I am two weeks out of the surgery. I never smoke cigarettes but enjoys the occasional joint twice a month or so. It does not give me the munchies, just get a bit thirsty.

Cheers everyone.

Doesn't weed smoking cause you to be hungry ?? I wouldn't smoke it for that reason alone

It doesn't do that to everyone. It doesn't do that to me for the most part. I'm no expert...but it seems to me (just like alcohol) everyone has their own reaction to it.

Official information from published literature: See bolded text... Not my words, this is published medical literature. Not some physician or dietician words either, just generalizing information from cigarette smoking or alcohol consumption to answer the question in the absence of data.

Obes Surg. 2014 Oct;24(10):1764-70. doi: 10.1007/s11695-014-1315-x.

Assessing marijuana use in bariatric surgery candidates: should it be a contraindication?

Abstract

Research has demonstrated negative effects of both alcohol and tobacco use after bariatric surgery. However, no research to date has examined effects of cannabis use after bariatric surgery, even though cannabis is the most commonly used illicit drug in the USA. Literature review reveals that many practitioners generalize from data regarding alcohol abuse to all substances. Further, many screening protocols fail to differentiate between varying levels of cannabis use. The current report aims to (1) review the relevant literature on marijuana use and its potential consequences among bariatric patients, (2) discuss relevant problems and gaps in this literature, and (3) make preliminary recommendations regarding the assessment and treatment planning of bariatric candidates who disclose marijuana use.

We are attempting to be as healthy as possible after bariatric surgery. No one should draw any smoke into their lungs. I hope anyone using cannabis switches to vaping or edibles. It's far healthier. We don't all have the same lifestyles and that is ok. But we support each other for the healthy long lives we all are here for! With love, I say please try not to draw smoke into your beautiful essential lungs. (I have had great success with cannabis for pain but I put CBD 2:1 oil under my tongue at bedtime so I'd fail a drug test too)

How are you a nurse and smoke weed? Don't they drug test? I hope I don't get a nurse when I'm in the hospital who is high on weed.

As long as she's not high at work, I'm perfectly comfortable with it. She won't have a hang over like she would if she drank alcohol.

Even my pulmonologist said smoking from a pipe/joint is basically harmless. He views it 100% different than cigarettes. If you're at all concerned switch to a vape, edibles or THC tincture.

Just make sure you don't use a strain that gives you munchies!

I know this is an old post. But I just wanted to say my husband works in Anesthesia. Please, stop smoking prior to surgery and make sure the Anesthesiologist and CRNA know you smoke. They will ask. They don't care about the legality but they do care about keeping you alive and when your vented your lung health matters.