Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone smoke weed before or after surgery?

How are you a nurse and smoke weed? Don't they drug test? I hope I don't get a nurse when I'm in the hospital who is high on weed.

Do they do alcohol tests? Are you worried about a nurse being drunk when you are in the hospital?

Do they do alcohol tests? Are you worried about a nurse being drunk when you are in the hospital?

And what about prescription drugs? Highly prevalent in the medical/nursing community. All of these studies note that the main drugs of choice for nurses are depressants/opioids/narcotics; marijuana is NONE of those.

Sullivan, Eleanor J., Leclair Bissell, and Doris Leffler. "Drug use and disciplinary actions among 300 nurses." Substance Use & Misuse 25.4 (1990): 375-391.
"A survey of 300 U.S. nurses recovering from alcohol and other drug dependency was conducted to describe the effect of drug use on job performance and related disciplinary actions. Subjects reported experimentation with or dependence on a variety of drug categories. Many visible effects on job performance were reported but only 23% reported disciplinary action against their nursing licenses. Females and older nurses were more often dependent on alcohol, while younger nurses and males reported narcotic dependency with greater frequency. Narcotic use was significantly related to disciplinary action."
Trinkoff, Alison M., and Carta L. Storr. "Substance use among nurses: Differences between specialties." Journal of Addictions Nursing 10.2 (1998): 77-84.
Dunn, Debra. "Substance abuse among nurses—defining the issue." AORN journal 82.4 (2005): 572-596.
Trinkoff, Alison M., Carla L. Storr, and Mary Patricia Wall. "Prescription-type drug misuse and workplace access among nurses." Journal of addictive diseases 18.1 (1999): 9-17.

Yes my hospital does drug and alcohol tests and takes careful inventory of all drugs in their supply. Weed is illegal for a reason. I just don't like my nurses disobeying the law. If they can't be trusted in the workplace, I would not trust them with my health.

When I move to Washington state I'll be able to legally obtain weed for my spinal damage, not sure if I will, it's been a loooong time since I've smoked any, but it's food for thought. Who am I kidding? I'm sure I will. Lol

I was an avid smoker. Spent time in rehab. I have a whole new perspective on looking at things. If it is prescribed to you more power to you.

I live in WA & dab oil (highly concentrated THC.)

Quitting for a couple weeks beforehand. My surgeon's fully aware. He'd be a lot more concerned about cigarettes.

I plan to dab oil again once I'm about 2-3 weeks out.

Quitting for a couple weeks beforehand. My surgeon's fully aware. He'd be a lot more concerned about cigarettes.

does this have any impact on appitite, cravings, etc???

I agree with pcindy...try an alternative way to cope with your anxiety. I spent over 20 years in the operating room and I can tell you you MUST come clean with the drugs.

Good luck

As an every day user, no. But if I take a break, it creates the munchies.

does this have any impact on appitite, cravings, etc???

Thanks. I need no help with Munchies!!! They need to discover an anorexia weed.

Just out of curiosity, how do u "dab oil"? Do u dab it on ur wrists or something? Where would one get oil? Do u make it urself?

Just curious. Never heard of it...

Just out of curiosity, how do u "dab oil"? Do u dab it on ur wrists or something? Where would one get oil? Do u make it urself?

Just curious. Never heard of it...

My partner makes it. It is made of marijuana and extracts just to THC. Your left with a product that looks like honey. I then take a small 'dab' (hence the name), which is about the side of the end of a ballpoint pen. You can use a regular bong, like you've probably seen before, but on the end, instead of a bowl to put pot into, there's a metal plate. You heat up the metal plate so it's very hot (red hot) and then put your 'dab' of oil on it, which creates a vapor that you inhale. It's better for your lungs than smoking pot, and much more efficient :) Hope that helps.

PS- I'm not saying that this is a fabulous habit. I'm in therapy for a reason. It's just that, like a lot of things in my life, I've taken it too far and indulged too much. I do, however, very much disagree with the above statement that it's 'illegal for a reason.' In my opinion, that reason has a lot more to do with money and big pharma than the 'risks' of marijuana.

My partner makes it. It is made of marijuana and extracts just to THC. Your left with a product that looks like honey. I then take a small 'dab' (hence the name), which is about the side of the end of a ballpoint pen. You can use a regular bong, like you've probably seen before, but on the end, instead of a bowl to put pot into, there's a metal plate. You heat up the metal plate so it's very hot (red hot) and then put your 'dab' of oil on it, which creates a vapor that you inhale. It's better for your lungs than smoking pot, and much more efficient :) Hope that helps.

PS- I'm not saying that this is a fabulous habit. I'm in therapy for a reason. It's just that, like a lot of things in my life, I've taken it too far and indulged too much. I do, however, very much disagree with the above statement that it's 'illegal for a reason.' In my opinion, that reason has a lot more to do with money and big pharma than the 'risks' of marijuana.

WELL SAID :)

Live in Colorado where MJ use is becoming more and more socially acceptable.

After full disclosure with my doctor's the advice was to stay off for a week pre op and at least until you were off the narcotic post op meds. Indicated there were some medical leanings that MJ may inhibit the receptors the pain meds act via. Though, during what my lady and I thought was one of the more amusing pre-op moments, the nurse shared that "if the pain meds don't seem to be sufficient, go ahead and smoke a bowl".