Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice for Vacation Travel outside the Country?

Hi all! Im going away to Jamaica the end of July and im A bit concerned about my band. I had surgery in Feb and Im doing very well. (no fill at all and still loosing) My concern is do I need to take any Cipro with me or any pills for stomach distress? I know sometimes we can pick up bacteria, drink bad Water or get food poisioning while away. I just dont want to vomit or get sick at all. Im able to eat all food with no problems and will make good choices on vacation. Im just thinking of my band first. Should I take anything before? Ask for a prescription from my doc? Stayaway from water, juice, etc. ( I do not drink soda) and will need to stay hydrated. Im staying at Sunset Beach Resort and Spa (all inclusive). thanks

What you want to get is Promethazine HCL suppositiries because if you do get some bad Water or something that makes you throw up then you will just throw the pill up too. However, a anti-naseau pill would be good pre-flight or ride if you suffer from motion sickness.

Have fun!

Serena

Only drink bottled Water, from a bottle you've opened which has it's seal intact. Make sure you brush your teeth with bottled water. Don't drink anything that has ice in it. Don't believe it if someone tells you the water and ice are safe. Only eat food which has been cooked to a high temperature - Soup is usually a good bet. Kind of takes some of the fun out of the vacation though huh?

I've been sick from the water on a vacation in the past and I will never feel safe eating in a foreign country again. I know, how sad.

Oh well, I'd rather enjoy the rest of the vacation than go through a 48 hour purge from both ends (I know, TMI) ever ever again.

Having been to Jamaica more times that I can count both with the band and without, let me just say the Water there is supreme. To be safe don't drink from fountains as that water is not filtered. Jamaica is not some third world where they don't have the facilities to filter their water. Leaving the airport it might look that way but it is very safe to drink the water and eat their delicious food. Get your driver to stop at Scotchies for some Jerk chicken and a Red Stripe. YUM YUM!!!

I had ZERO problems eating the food. Just take your time. That is what Jamaica is all about. NO Problem! Everyting Irie!

Is Sunset Beach close to Rose Hall Plantation? If not then you MUST do the tour. It is just fascinating to tour that house. WOW!! Here is a pic of it. In the middle window upstairs (which was Rose's room) you can see what looks like a hazy silhoulet (sp?) of a person.

post-204009-13813133532634_thumb.jpg

I've never been to Jamaica Mon! I guess I know where my next tropical vacation will be taking place. Thanks everyone, this is good info. Anyone ever Scuba Dive there? My husband wants to go to Cozumel for the diving - and I agree it's FANTASTIC there - but I'd like to try out some other locations before going back to Mexico.

I've never been to Jamaica Mon! I guess I know where my next tropical vacation will be taking place. Thanks everyone, this is good info. Anyone ever Scuba Dive there? My husband wants to go to Cozumel for the diving - and I agree it's FANTASTIC there - but I'd like to try out some other locations before going back to Mexico.

I don't dive but my friend does and she said it was spectacular right off the beaches. I went out in the boat with her and just enjoyed a nice cool RUM drink (SLURP) and she went in the Water and got to see all kinds of fishies. They also have a dive you can go on in Doctor's Cove in Montego Bay where you are attached to a helmut like the deep sea divers and you all sit on a ledge and just watch the fishies swim by. I have heard great things about this. The helmuts are not made like the deep sea divers they are modified. Pretty impressive. We were gonna do that but the sea was too choppy and the sand was stirred up way too much.

If you go you MUST do the Sunset Cruise from Mo Bay. I never get tired of watching the SUnset on the Bay. Here is a pic of that.

post-204009-13813133532944_thumb.jpg

ok now you have done it. I am gonna post one or two more pics of Jamaica. LOL! I am dying to get back there. Haven't been in almost 2.5 years now. That is unacceptible.

This is a pic of the Public Beach look at how clear that Water is. We were pretty far out too. And the water was like 90 degrees. SO NICE!!

post-204009-13813133533195_thumb.jpg

OK here is another one. This is the pic of the Sangsters Airport in Mo Bay

post-204009-13813133533496_thumb.jpg

It looks beautiful Penni - I think I have to go do some price-checking for October flights now! I wonder what the weather in Jamaica is like in October?

thank you for the lovely photos! I really cant wait to go. Its my first time there. We usually go to mexico or the bahamas. as far as my band goes I will be careefull what I eat and drink, dont want to be sorry on vacation. I think today I have a bit of heartburn, too many salads for me this week, I guess I will give the lettuce and cukes a rest for a while

It looks beautiful Penni - I think I have to go do some price-checking for October flights now! I wonder what the weather in Jamaica is like in October?

They start their Hurricane season starting June 1 through the end of October. I was there when the worst Hurricane came through two years ago. The weather is absolutely wonderful year round. I have been there in June, July, August, Sept, Nov, and December. The only thing different in all those months it seems to be a bit more muggy in the Summer months. December I still got a good burn going. The weather is just supreme there all the time. It does tend to rain a little more in the Winter months. If I were going for the first time I would plan on being there for a solid week. The weather can change from morning with rain to the afternoon with sun shining and clear skies. Especially in the winter months.

They LOVE american money. The exchange rate there a year ago was $60 Jamaican to $1 Amercian. So they LOVE LOVE american money. Giving them $20 could feed their families for a week. So unreal.

They have an open air market close to the HIP STRIP. DO NOT GO THERE without a guide. I don't mean to scare you but they are so aggressive about getting you to buy from them that they will fight over who sells to you. I avoid that place.

Margaritaville is a cool place to go and they have excellent food.

The Native is close to Margaritaville and is a MUST for some real Jamaican food. 4 of us ate there for around $60 American dollars. That included a bottle of wine, hor'derves, entree, and dessert. Most hotels will shuttle you to the restaurant. The restaurant will even come and pick you up and bring you back at NO COST. You do need to make reservations though. Just ask at the front desk for the number.

Here is a pic of me with my girlfriends on my birthday at THE NATIVE. The guy was our waiter. They just cater to your every need.

post-204009-13813133533802_thumb.jpg

Can you tell two of us were burnt? That was in September.