Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here...scheduled for my revision on 9/1

Hello everyone! I am so glad I have found this place. I have been having so many questions about my revision and how other people have dealt with their band to sleeve.

Just to give you a little bit of background. I was originally banded back in 2004, I had a slip of my band in late 2005. Got my slip fixed and my band replaced and then another slip in 2007. I have been living with a slipped band for the last 3 years due to my insurance refusing to cover any surgeries related to WLS. I finally switched insurance and have been hot on the trail to get my band taken out and get my sleeve. I am now scheduled to get my band removed on Sept. 1st and get sleeved at the same time.

One of my main concerns is that when I met with the doctor originally he was stating that I would need to have my band removed if I wanted my band fixed due to inflammation and dilation of my esophagus. Why now would he be okay to remove the band and do a sleeve? Have any of you had this issue or ran into any of this? I'm already nervous about the surgery and I am starting my pre-op diet tomorrow.

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

-Jen

I'm sure if your doc says you can do it all at one time, then you'll be fine. I had an undiagnosed hiatal hernia repaired, my gall bladder removed, adhesions from previous abdominal surgeries removed, band removed and VSG done all in one surgery. I'm so glad I could do it this way and I was surprised how easy my recovery was. My only complication was that I developed a hematoma under the incision when the port had been. That port had been sewed in there to stay, so taking it out left a large hole that blood pooled in. This is not something most people get though, so I wouldn't worry about it. Plus, it's certainly not a big deal if you do get one.

Having the band gone was SO worth any of it! Life is good now and I'm so happy all that horrible plastic is out of my body. Best wishes on your surgery!

Thank you so much Texas for your reassuring words. I guess I have been a little scared that there is going to be some kind of complication since I have had nothing but problems with my band since I got it back in 2004. That hematoma thing sounds pretty scary. I'm glad you pulled through okay and that you are doing so well with your sleeve. :001_rolleyes:

Hi! Just wanted to say hello and I'm new too. Also having my band removed and sleeve done. Hopefully on 9/20 when I get my Insurance Approval. (thinking positively!) I got my band last summer and for a year went through the rigamaroll of fill, lose some, fill, not feel restricted, fill, not feel restricted, fill, fill, look for leak, this, that... finally went back for a fill and there was no Fluid in my band coming out (where did it go?) and nothing could go in either.. so they determined my band to be defective. Angry and depressed I wasted a year of my life on that thing! But... moving on and thinking positively and ready to start over. I'm a little afraid about the amount of pain I'll have with having both things done at once. Are you? They stitch the port in pretty securely right? Anyway good luck.. hope we can keep in touch. :-)

hi Jen,

welcome to the site, I am not sure the 2nd paragraph? Are you saying your dr said he wanted to do it in 2 steps, remove band then do sleeve months later? depending on the severity of your band complications, once step is not possible, as in my case, having the band for 8 years, i have severe long term complications, i had the band removed this year, and i am waiting to see if some of my complications will improve and i will be allowed to recieve the sleeve. hope all goes well for you

Mila