Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crazy nutritionist advice

I went to see my nutritionist today for an hour class. She had a notebook about all the things we should be eating (including way more carbs and fat than I'm used to), gigantor portions, and 1,000-1,2000 calorie a day recommendation (I've been doing 600-800).

So I came home and implemented some of her suggestions for dinner, felt like crap for an hour, and threw up for the first time ever.

What am I to make of this? She suggested that if I didn't use her guidelines I would gain my weight back after 2 years because I would be unable to sustain what I am doing. Thoughts?

Thoughts?

She's dumb and doesn't live in your body. :001_tongue:

Listen to your body. I am eight months out and could never eat 1200 calories in a day without lots of slider foods. You are still so early out, Just focus on Protein, fruits and veggies first and you will be fine!

I agree - follow the VSG diet that most people on here follow, adapating it to suit your personal needs. It sounds like you were on track before your nutritionist gave you advice.

Once you're in maintenance and more than a year out, your sleeve will be relaxed and you'll be able to eat more calories and carbs in a day.

If traditional diets never worked for you before (they sure didn't for me, which is why I had surgery), then why would you follow a 1200, standard diet now? I know that for me, I NEED very low calories to lose - and I still lose slower than most. The sleeve is what helps me not be miserable while I'm eating low calorie, low carb.

If I eat more than 40-50 carbs in a day I feel lightheaded and sick. If I eat too much food, I feel sick.

Stick to what you were doing before, for as long as that works. If you stall out, reconsider your carbs/protein/eating choices.

Good luck to you - you're doing great so far!

~Cheri

Well, long time health wise, I agree with her. The way to long term health and slimness is not starving yourself on a 600 calorie diet. But from what I've read, most sleevers end up eating that well anyway, but during the first year or two the diet is very restricted.

I agree with YOU too - listen to your body. I think this is another case of nutritionists who arent exactly professional,dabbling in areas they're not really qualified for. What she's saying is perfectly true for an ordinary person, and even true for a bandster, but not for someone who's been recently sleeved.

Sounds like your nutritionist -- like the majority of them -- is an idiot! Sorry to be so blunt but I get SO tired of reading where they're giving antiquated, uninformed, or just plain wrong info and advice. It amazes me.

[edited to clarify] And I mean not just with WLS, but in general... seems every article I read where some so-called "nutritionist" is quoted, I just roll my eyes and want to slap some sense into them. :)

I'm not crazy about my program's nutritionist either. She seemed kind of silly (read: dumb) and rigid to me. I'm looking for another nutritionist now, one who will work with me as a partner instead of just telling me what I should do. For me there has to be a conversation because I'm living inside this body, not the nutritionist. I DO need a nutritionist or dietician though. I'm afraid that if I do this on my own, I will slide into lying to myself about what and how much I'm eating. I need the accountability that an outside person can provide.

Human nutrition is a nascent science. In my opinion, no one knows for sure what people should be eating. Different cultures (both historically and presently) eat very differnt things and still stay basically healthy. Keep looking until you find a nutritionist you can stand.

My nut said the same thing to me this week because I told her I was kinda concerned I wasn't getting enough calories. I am getting about 600 a day a month post op. I really tried yesterday to get 800 and I felt misrable the whole day. I am just going to keep making health choices and listening to my body. I think that I have enough body fat that I won't starve to death...