Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

cholesterol, it just dawned on me

Hey guys, I don't know why in my constellation of questions prior to surgery I never thought to ask this one but my Mom thought of it now that I'm moving on to soft solids. Since we are so protein-centric and since many if not most of us get that from animal sources, what is cholesterol like for sleevers? Pre-op O had fine "good" cholesterol and slightly high "bad" cholesterol. Do sleevers have a problem with cholesterol long term?

Um, hey guys, it's been many days now, I would really appreciate it if somebody would respond to this post. It stands to reason that if we are consuming mostly Protein that mostly comes from animal sources that we might be in line for cholesterol problems in the long term. Anybody? Bueller?

Not sleeved long enough to give you a good answer, but I can tell you that my DH and I have done Atkins off and on over the years and our labs were always excellent when following the plan. According to some of the research Atkins used in his books, it's not the dietary cholesterol that gets us; it's the cholesterol our liver manufactures when we don't eat enough that's the "bad" cholesterol. I know many won't agree with this and that's fine, everyone is different. This board is for discussion.

As lap-banded people (over two years) and my DH (over 5 years) we had to eat the same diet as recommended for sleeves and we've both have excellent labs. Keep in mind that although the ratio of calories from Protein and fat may be high compared to calories of carbs (because you are likely eating the lower calorie, less starchy/sugary carbs), your overall grams of protein/fat/cholesterol is likely going to be much lower that it was before you had WLS because your stomach is so much smaller.

Um, hey guys, it's been many days now, I would really appreciate it if somebody would respond to this post. It stands to reason that if we are consuming mostly Protein that mostly comes from animal sources that we might be in line for cholesterol problems in the long term. Anybody? Bueller?

Globie, I love that quote!! And the film.

I will get my bloods done as soon as I can get the NHS to do so and post the results. Ihave been doing a high protein, highish sat fats diets for over a year now and feel fantastic. I have researched the Atkins claims and they make sense to me. Obviously if my LDH readings are bad I will recant and grovel!!

Jane x