Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated, annoyed and I'm new so heres my story

My name is Shanecia and I'm 30 years old, I'm 5'6" about 345lbs . I have been overweight as long as I can remember. About 2 1/2 years ago I decided to have WLS, my pcp suggested that I get the lapband so that's what I had my mind set on when I went to my first consultation with the surgeon. After meeting with her and telling her my medical conditions and eating habits she suggested that I get RNY. I was fine with that..........it took me another year and a half to actually do everything that my insurance company required. I was approved in December 2009. Well since it had been over a year since I saw the surgeon I had to make an appointment to come in to see her. After the visit I was really discouraged....because of a previous blood clot in my lungs and leg she wanted me to be cleared by a hematologist which I was already being followed by but she wanted me to see a hematologist at the hospital where I'm going to have to surgery and she also wanted me to lose 25lbs :biggrin0:, she never told me this on my initial visit. My sister had just had gastric bypass surgery at that same hospital with a different doctor. So I made an appointment to see sisters doctor, I saw him about a week later and he wanted me to have some more blood work from the hematologist that I had been seeing for over 2 years. After seeing my hematologist and having the blood work done my Iron was extremely low which it had been in the past so I had to get IV Iron. Once the hematologist sent the note over to my surgeon and mentioned that I was getting iv iron he decided that because of the malabsorption he didn't want me to get the rny, but the DS in 2 stages instead. However he really doesn't want me to get the second part of the surgery and I didn't like that one bit, lol. I wasn't to sure how I felt about that until I found you all. I didn't think that I could lose the weight that I need to lose without that malabsorption. Now I know that I can do it. So now I'm waiting for my insurance company to switch my approval over the DS.

So that's how I ended up on this site which has been very informative to me and has helped to learn so much about a surgery that had never even crossed my mind.

Now my frustrations comes in here........my oldest sister had the rny back in Feb my other sister just got her date today for august and I'm still waiting. I feel like it's never going to happen for me, every time I think I'm getting close something else comes up. And every time that I say something about being frustrated my sisters act like I'm not supposed to be frustrated and it annoys me to no end. I've waited so long and I know deep down that it is going to happen but can I just vent a little.

I'm sorry for such a long post, but I just needed to get this off my chest since I don't really have anyone else to share this with. Thank you all in advance for the support that I know I'm going to get now and in the future.

I completely understand the frustration!! hang in there.. remember why you are wanting to do this surgery. The surgeon wants to make sure you have the best possible scenario for surgery, I would be more worried if he/she didn't. As the saying goes better safe than sorry. Keep focusing on your goals!! ( oh and yes this is a moment that my advice is biting me on the arse hehe) One step at a time. Hang in there!! I am pulling for you!!!

Hi there...I'm glad you found us!

I can't even imagine how frustrated I'd be if I was in your shoes...even though it's the correct way to do it.

You want to be as healthy as possible to have your surgery to minimize risk and complications.

It WILL happen...I know it's hard to wait. When I finally made up my mind to do it..I wanted to have surgery like THAT day...lol

Have you started working on that 25 lbs or do you no longer have to do that?

I didn't have to lose the 25lbs since I switched surgeons, but I actually lost 30lbs since my last visit with him because I've been sick for the last 3 months.

I feel your frustration and know you want to get this done and start your new life. I don't know why all of these health issues are keeping you from you best state of health right now, but I DO believe that when it is time for you, it will happen.

I was turned down for rny for at least 6 years before I was approved for VSG. I thought that this year would just be another denial. But it happened for me very quickly this time. I'm 58 yrs old and started out at 365...I'm sure that I have been as high as 375 at one point of my life.

I also know that you MUST be in the best physical and emotional health that you can possibly get yourself in before this surgery. It WILL drain you, you will probably lose hair, lose energy and go through depression for awhile after the surgery. I don't want to be a downer, but most of us have gone through this in the beginning, after the surgery. It takes a toll on us physically and emotionally....so get yourself healthy before all of this.

Afterward....we will all be better !!!!

Sometimes it's just meant to be. Glad you are here and I totally understand about being frustrated. I'm there myself. I had a bloodclot in my leg that went to my lungs as well. Mine was from being in a wheelchair for an ankle shatter and I was on birthcontrol and smoking 2 packs/day so I wonder if I will have to jump through the hoops you did. Keep on truckin' though sister. Soon we will be on the losers bench too.

Definitely frustrating!! I'm glad you are starting to feel like you know you can do this ;) It sucks that it will take a while to happen for you but at least you are finally close to being able to change your life. :) And we will all be here for you.

Nikkey,

I'm so glad you're not getting a gastric bypass. There are a number of my co-workers who have had it done, and some of them have had to have IV infusions of Iron.

There are a few who have had the DS surgery and they've had really major problems with low Iron and other issues. One told me that she almost died due to her iron being so low. The other one had to take time off from work and to get infusions. Her doctor said she was not safe to drive, due to the fact that she could pass out at any moment.

Malabsorbsion is SO dangerous!

(PS, if you are always cold, crave ice Water (or ice) or if the palms of your hands are very pale, that's an indication you might be anemic.

Thank you Kabinkitty. I was kind of worried about not having the malabsorption but like I said after finding this website I know I can lose weight without that part of the surgery. I've been anemic for a long time and I couldn't imagine feeling like that all the time because of the malabsorption.