Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone been able to eat salads and tolerate them? I know that they are hard to digest and wasn't sure if they can be eaten.

Date of surgery: 5/28/10

17 pounds lost so far!

I didn't start salads until about 6 weeks out. I chewed thoroughly and ate slowly (probably because I was afraid I was going to have a problem). Nothing. Everything went through fine. I was especially relieved because I LOVE fresh vegetables. I started with just lettuce, cucumber, and green onions to see if I tolerated that ok. Now I'm adding other vegetables as I go.

I'm just one person though. It has impressed me as I read everyone's posts that we are all so different. What one person can do, another one may not be able to. So start slow and pay attention to what your body is telling you. My two cents.

Awesome, I love salads and was afraid that I wouldn't be able to have one. I know what you mean about everyone being different but at least there is one of us that was able to so that sounds good. I am only 2 weeks out so I still have some time to go. Thanks again for replying.

No problem! One of the differences I've noticed, too, is that everyone seems to have a different timeline on when to go to the next food stage. I was 2 wks on clear liquid, 2 wks on full liquids, 2 wks on pureed food, then to regular food. What did your doctor tell you?

He wasn't as strict as some of these others doctors but I was on liquids for 7 days and then mushy for a month after that you start introducing stuff one at a time.

I ate salad from month 2 onwards with no problem. Still do so don't sweat it.

Wow Jane_J! I just noticied your ticker! 111 lbs lost!!!!! 7 lbs to go!!!!

Impressive. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I was wondering how long it took you to lose that? I want to lose 100 lbs and wonder how long it might take me...

He wasn't as strict as some of these others doctors but I was on liquids for 7 days and then mushy for a month after that you start introducing stuff one at a time.

Interesting. I can see that mushy might be ok after the first period, but it's hard to picture going to solid foods as quickly as some of our members have been released to do. But if they've had no problems, that's great for them!

I can't WAIT to have a salad. salad is probably my 2nd favorite food behind boiled crawfish.

One of my employees brought me some cucumbers...and I just love cucumbers in vinegar. I should be able to eat that ok, huh? I'm 6.5 weeks out.

I am able to eat leafy greens, carrots, onions, radishes, Tomato, spinach, green beans...with ease...not a whole lot but with ease. Shrimp, tuna, and chicken are a bit harder since i don't tolerate mayo so well but Shrimp is the easiest then tuna, then chicken....chicken is still the toughest meat for me even with mayo as in a salad.< /p>

I wasn't allowed salads or other raw veggies/fruits or nuts until 3 months post op. I eat them pretty regularly now without issue.

I was also able to eat salads as soon as I got on regular foods with no problems. It was such a relief since I couldn't get them down when I had a lap band. No problem with mayo either, though I use the one made with olive oil. I've made tuna salad, chicken salad, and egg salad with no issues.