Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you have your surgery done here in the States or in Mexico with self pay.  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you have your surgery done here in the States or in Mexico with self pay.

• United States
    • Mexico

As you all know, I've struggled and am still struggling over having my surgery done here or in Mexico. Cash I will have to pay even though I have insurance will be about the same either way. Here in the states I seem to be getting the run around. Have waited 2 weeks just to get appointment they haven't even called me back yet from 2 huge hospitals, of course there, lots quicker. Here, 6 month diet, but from what I understand I need the after care I can get here. But, can I not get that here from someone Dr. Ortiz sends me too. I'm so torn, would everyone tell me what they've done.

Thank you so much,

Sherri:help:

if you go to a good doc in Mexico they will recommend a few docs in your area to work with on your aftercare if you decide to not go back to them and the surgery. my doc has me set up with a fill doc that is approx 10 minutes away from me.

I can afford to go to a doc here in the states, but I prefer going to a doc that has done WAY more surgeries than the ones here in the states. Plus I think it is silly to spend more than you need to if you can spend less and get better care and service. At least this is what I am dealing with locally. the doc i chose in mexico has done over 5000 bands, is one of the early pioneers, works out of an american owned hospital that is like a 5 star resort, and you get to stay at his guest house when not in the hospital. They even pick you up and take you back to the airport. My cost for everything, airfare included, is 9100. much better than paying a doc here who is going to require me to jump through hoops for him to prove that I want the band, even when I am trying to throw 21000 in his face to do it. sorry, i don't need that hassle.

I voted Mexico of course.

I had my surgery in Monterrey with Dr. Sanchez. I have nothing but glowing reports over the entire process. I had aftercare arranged before I even considered going to Mexico, Dr. Sanchez referred me to a doctor about 40 minutes away. I have no complaints.

Shux, I wouldn't mind living in Monterrey to be honest with you. People there are soo unbelieveable and the facilities???? Gosh! May I say.."Spotless"

Amy's not banded yet, but she'll be going to Dr. Sanchez in Monterey.

Rumbaut and Sanchez are the only two Drs in Mexico that I would recommend based on heresay. (dont anyone get mad at me now :rolleyes:)

I had mine done locally mostly because it never occurred to me to go far from home for surgery. Just be very certain that you have good LOCAL follow-up care set up and that you can get back to your surgeon IF something goes wrong that requires more serious medical attention.

Best of luck in whatever you decide. :confused:

I didnt vote because I dont live in the states but the way I see it, whatever you choose, its down to the doctor and how many surgeries he's done.

If you can get aftercare locally then I'd be searching out a good doctor first and foremost.

We have the same thing here with cosmetic surgery and going to Thailand/Malaysia for it. There is no reason to assume that Thai or Malaysian hospitals are substandard compared to Australian hospitals and the only thing that would worry me about that is the lack of consultation beforehand (important for cosmetic surgery I'd say). Its a lot cheaper and easier to get to Mexico from the states than it is to get ANYWHERE from Australia, so you probably wouldnt even have that issue.

I wasn't self-pay but my insurance is so awful I might as well have been. When I first scheduled the surgery I didn't know if my insurance was going to cover me or not; I moved ahead as self-pay in the US. Mexico was never an option for me (I come from a medical family and it's a "standards " thing). Finding out my insurance would "cover" (as they called it) was a bonus but really they covered virtually nothing so I was self-pay anyway.

For people with co-morbities and pre-existing conditions, I think it would be wise to have the surgery performed in the United States. The decision is personal and needs to be based on MANY factors that includes, but is not limited to, fees. Yes, that's the RN in me talking. :-)

For people with co-morbities and pre-existing conditions, I think it would be wise to have the surgery performed in the United States. The decision is personal and needs to be based on MANY factors that includes, but is not limited to, fees. Yes, that's the RN in me talking. :-)

Amen, Elisabeth! :clap2::clap2: And given that the absence of co-morbidities and pre-existing conditions doesn't ensure a flawless surgery, I personally believe it always wise to have the surgery performed in the US.

You know, I debated this for a very long time also, I finally decided to have it done in the states and double the cost but I have a mountain of support if anything should go wrong, I feel extremely confident with my doctor and all the support that I have around me.

Bottom line, its what do YOU want and then go get it done. I was banded in Idaho by Doc Cahan my surgery took all of 60minutes and one night stay in the hospital to check all had gone well. The success story is I am currently down 61 lbs and still losing.

HI Sherri - I'm new to this so I hope I am actually responding to your post! I just had surgery by Dr. Rumbaut in Mexico on May 16th. Now two weeks later, I am feeling very well. I think Dr. Rumbaut and his team are fantastic surgeons. The only problems we experienced (my Mom traveled with me) was the language barrier with the nurses at the hospital. They were very nice, but we really had trouble asking questions and requesting information from them. We reported this to Dr. Rumbaut and he was going to go to work making sure each floor with his patients had an interpreter available at all times. The hospital was beautiful and everyone at the hotel was extremely nice and helpful. Dr. Rumbaut is a bit more expensive than the other surgeons in Mexico. My surgery was $10,600. Dr. Rumbaut was able to refer me to a fill doctor here in the USA. I highly recommend Dr. Rumbaut. One thing I would caution is not to travel alone for this. Please bring someone with you who can help you and stay at the hospital with you.

I live in Washington State and had to fly to Houston and then down to Monterrey, MX. It was a long day getting there and an especially long day getting back once I had already had surgery. But I'm sure I'd do it again if I had to.

Good luck!

Sherry

I had surgery in Monterrey, Mexico on May 8th. No problems. Dr. De La Garza. $ 9000.00 including airfare. There is even financing. Any one with questions, I will be happy to answer.

Sheryl Kay sherylkayc (yahoo username for IM)

weight.png