Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reclaiming the years "Obesity" tried to take from me, one day at a time.

I had my first appointment on 04-06-10 and I'm getting very excited about this journey of a Life Time. :thumbup:

I had my first appointment on 04-06-10 and I'm getting very excited about this journey of a Life Time. :ohmy:

Sounds like your starting this with the right mindset! keep us posted on your journey!

wishing you lots of luck.

Thanks to all, far all the support prayers and wishes, I had my EGD done today (5-03-10) and everything was good, on to the next phase and I'm Getting more excited with each passing day :thumbup1:

Great job on getting through some of the steps to get your surgery scheduled.

Best wishes, and keep posting. We'll be here for you.

Welcome!

Do you have any idea when you might have surgery?

It looking like the end of May around the 24th, once again Thanks for taking the time out just care. :001_unsure:

Thanks to All, and boy my wife said that medication that was used to put me to sleep while they put that tube down my throat had me talking out of my head, she was so amused by it cause I'm one never to take any meds or be under the influence of anything so at least she had a good laugh :001_unsure:

I had my first appointment on 04-06-10 and I'm getting very excited about this journey of a Life Time. :wink1:

And that it will be! Welcome, jump in, ask questions, share frustrations, share victories--this is a great group of people. You're in for a lot of fun coming up soon! Are you already approved with your insurance, or are you self-paying?

And that it will be! Welcome, jump in, ask questions, share frustrations, share victories--this is a great group of people. You're in for a lot of fun coming up soon! Are you already approved with your insurance, or are you self-paying?

Well unfortunately like many others my Insurance don't cover this, but i couldn't allow that to stop me b/c truth bee told, i have wasted 3 times the money it would cost for the surgery on food. It's like everything else in my life had a budget but my food bill, it didn't matter how much or how often.

Well I just received the call and the date was set for 24th of May. I?m so nervous but I?m preparing physically mentally and Most of All Spiritually. I can Taste it :)......

It looking like the end of May around the 24th, once again Thanks for taking the time out just care. :o

Hey I see you're from Louisiana! Me too...I'm in Mandeville.

Who's doing your surgery?

Hey I see you're from Louisiana! Me too...I'm in Mandeville.

Who's doing your surgery?

Well I'm from Abbeville, just south of Lafayette. and Dr. Chu will be my Sergent.

I had my first appointment on 04-06-10 and I'm getting very excited about this journey of a Life Time. :001_cool:

Well I have been on here for a couple weeks now and don't think I have told my story yet so here it goes.:)

I?m so very grateful and happy that through all of these 30 years God has keep me healthy with out any serious healthy problems, but I also know that he has also given me the choice and wisdom to also make wise decision. Well I have not always been this heavy and out of shape. As a child and up until approximately 13 years old I was an all star baseball player for about 7 years.

I was always a very out going kid. Well then came junior high school years and the whole thing changed. I began to start keeping to myself and not hanging around in crowds, i also begin to take medication "Ritalin" for behavior issues. I also noticed that I begin to put on more weight. Then came the High School years and I was befriend by the football coaches and players so I began to look at being big and eating lots of food as this was ok because all of my football coaches were like eat what ever you want, and also they would give me and a couple of other big guys their food in the cafeteria and the other students would be jealous. I also started working at the local sonic drive inn and was eating every chance I had, then about a year later I started working at the local McDonald?s and the over eating kept on.

As the time was going on, I kept growing and growing and my self-confidence began to shrink. I also began to be sheltered and not to hang out with lots of crowds of people because all of my friends were in a lot better shape than me, and I felt as if I could not keep up with them. Instead of doing something about the weight issues, I devolved the attitude of IF THEY DON?T LIKE ME DON?T LOOK. Well that attitude just got me further and further into a rut of gaining more weight.

When I look back I remember that my mom took me to visit a Dietitian one day and she told me ?If You Do Not Do Something about Your Weight You Want Live to See 28 Years Old?.

Well as a 13-year-old boy, who thought he was a stud and the Dietitian didn?t know what she was talking about. I didn?t think anything of the words she said. Well not until about 13 years later and about 523 pounds.

At the age of 26 I began to have heart burn and I had even begun to start sleeping on the sofa because of the heart burn I would have. My mom also came to me and said that she is worried because of my weight and would like me to go see a doctor. Well about two weeks after that I went see a doctor and he put me on Adipex. Well he also wanted to see me in another month. Right then and their, I made a choice that I wanted to really change my life style forever. I began to loose weight in massive amounts in the very 1st months I lost 32 pounds, and so on and so on in just a short 5 months in had lost 96 pounds and my confidence began to come back, I began to become more active. Well I had gotten down to 427 pounds and begin to feel a lot better.

After about 6 months, I begin to put weight on again. Well in that time I had stop taken the Adipex and had began to gain about 65 pounds, and was right back in the rut again.

Both I and my wife got married and we both began to put on even more weight. I got to 523 pounds again.

Well me and my wife went to watch our son's soccer game and after about 10 minutes of standing in one spot my whole back had gone Numb and was cramping up on me. I felt upset for allowing myself to get right back where I never wanted to ever be again.

I got back on Adipex and began walking with my wife and trying to eat healthier. Well the weight began to come off again, getting down to about 468 pounds. Well the holidays of 2007 came and went and I felt into a rut where I did not want to go to work, visit with people, or even go out side. I had put on about 15 pounds weighing 483 pounds.

I started talking to my wife and started to set a deadline for me to get under 400 pounds, and if I didn?t I would look into having the Stomach Surgery. I spoke those words but my heart was not in it. I had an aunt who had the surgery and began to have more health problems. I had also spoken with my mom and dad and they were both against that suggestion.

Well at this time me and my wife begin to talk seriously about having the stomach surgery but I was still like I think I could do it on my own, but I also had to face the facts that yes I can lose lots of weight but I have a problem keeping it off.

Well I put off the talk about the surgery and in that time the weight would come off for a few months and then come right back on.

In February 2010 I went to see my Doctor for a checkup and he begin to talk to me about being a great candidate for gastric bypass surgery, he also made me realize that it's almost impossible to get it off and keep it off without a little help. On the same night I went home and talk it over with my wife and we started researching for information over the internet.

Well about 3 days later I ran into an old friend of mine and seen how much weight he has lost and I begin to question him. He was very provoking in telling to go for it and it will be worth every penny and the weight will stay off as long as I keep up the walking. Well it wasn't until talking to Angelo that I never even thought of being less than 300 pounds, and now I have a goal weight of 275 pounds.

I think having the operation will allow me to reclaim my life. I think it will enable me with a tool to keep the weight under control for the rest of my life. I'm also Hoping Praying and Wishing for the best outcome. I also think this tool would also help my wife because I would not be holding her down/back from doing things because I can't fit in the seats, or the crowds are too large. I know that this can't be it, the end of my life can't be on the down side just yet, and I have a lot more Happy and Fulfilled living to do. :thumbup: