Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

saw my psychriatrist (lol)

So I saw the pyschriatrist today and took that awesome 370 true false test. I laughed out loud several times. I think the session went well and he told me I didnt appear to have any dysfunctional eating habits. I then saw my surgeon. He was happy I have lost 15 pounds since I was there in February. My insurance requires 10% of your weight lost and a six month supervised diet. So he asked if i had considered any others besides the sleeve and I was like no. He said he was asking because they have submitted for half a dozen and none have been approved so far,. He even said he one lady who cant have any other with my specific insurer and they denied her so they are appealing. He feels my insurance will be the last one to pay for the sleeve. I asked about the dds. He talked about it and and said oh you would be a candidate. He stated I do it open though. I was like well do you ever do it in two parts and he was like oh I get it. Yeah I can stage it as though you are doing it in two parts and you dont have to get the second part. So he is trying it that way. I also have gall stones and may need my gallstones so I may need my gall bladder removed when they do my surgery. Oh did i mention I love my surgeons office.

Yeah ours had questions like, do you believe you are a member of the CIA? Loved it!

Love the creativity! Sometimes you just have to outsmart them at their own game!

Have you ever had a gall bladder attack? It is brutal! Once I knew I had gall stones, I couldn't wait to get that thing out of me! Hopefully the insurance won't make you wait too long!

I took a psych test as part of the process for being hired as a 911 call receiver. Totally dumb questions. Are you afraid of snakes? hell yes! Next question? lol

I laughed out loud during my psych eval as well. I couldn't help it because some of the questions were just ridiculous.

I'm glad things are still moving forward, and hope insurance pulls through for you.

So I saw the pyschriatrist today and took that awesome 370 true false test. I laughed out loud several times. I think the session went well and he told me I didnt appear to have any dysfunctional eating habits. I then saw my surgeon. He was happy I have lost 15 pounds since I was there in February. My insurance requires 10% of your weight lost and a six month supervised diet. So he asked if i had considered any others besides the sleeve and I was like no. He said he was asking because they have submitted for half a dozen and none have been approved so far,. He even said he one lady who cant have any other with my specific insurer and they denied her so they are appealing. He feels my insurance will be the last one to pay for the sleeve. I asked about the dds. He talked about it and and said oh you would be a candidate. He stated I do it open though. I was like well do you ever do it in two parts and he was like oh I get it. Yeah I can stage it as though you are doing it in two parts and you dont have to get the second part. So he is trying it that way. I also have gall stones and may need my gallstones so I may need my gall bladder removed when they do my surgery. Oh did i mention I love my surgeons office.

I think that's a great way to get around the insurance issue by submitting it as a two stage procedure but only getting the VSG. Be careful about this though. I remember reading somewhere that there was a surgeon who did this with a lot of patients and the insurance company caught on and there were some kind of sanctions. I don't know that they'd go so far as making you pay for the VSG if you didn't go through with the second stage, but I guess anything's possible.

It seems less likely though that they would push the issue since more and more insurers are approving the procedure. Kaiser, Tricare, UHC, and now Aetna have general approvals for the VSG. Those are just the ones I can think of. I can't remember where I read that about the surgeon getting caught not doing the second stag of the DS, but maybe someone else out there will recall seeing that info. I think in your position I probably would take my chances since the other alternative would be to be a self pay, so I'd end up having to pay someone anyway.

You can add GHI to the list. I was approved within days after my surgeon's submission. I'm on LI in New York. Where are you having your surgery? I hope you don't mind my asking. At first I was looking into Mt. Sinai Hospital, in Manhattan, a Dr. Kini (If I recall correctly), and later on I found that Syosett Hospital had a "Center for Bariatric Excellence" and within their team of 'Speciality Surgeons' I found one who does the Sleeve Gastrectomy and he really simplified the process for me. I was treated very well from the get-go and post op his availability has been near perfect...in fact I just saw him for my 6 month follow up and it was a very pleasant visit. He still wants to see me again in 3 months...and reminded me to come to his monthly support groups. I hope we get news of your approval very soon. Best wishes...and keep us up to date.