Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whoaaaaaaa... Locking threads at will?

Hold up hold up hold up!!!

I live here in America. Here is America we have this little thing called FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

Okay, now with that in mind we also have freedom in choice.

And with THAT in mind, why is it that this forum is so over moderated with threats of locking threads and deleting posts and everything? I agree I haven't been in the "mix" of things lately but I do have the right to speak my mind and I do choose whether or not to participate in those particular posts. I think that everyone in the questioned threads had a right to speak, whether they agreed or disagreed. I think that when you post a thread, you are opening it up to everyone. I think that when you have a thread, it is no longer "yours" but the becomes a part of the overall dynamic of the group. I do agree that some comments were nasty and uncalled for, but I also believe that everyone has a right to speak. Just because one person gets offended, then DON'T read that post (see freedom of choice above).

I think that nilly willy locking a thread because you have been queened or kinged as a moderator is ridiculous. I think a thread should only be locked if it is blatant advertising crap. Otherwise, let it ride. By not dealing with the problems and comments that doesn't SOLVE the issue, it lets it fester on other threads. Let people talk it out back and forth. Is it bickering? Sure it is, but we are a majority of women in this group, so isn't it a bit expected? Women have to hash it out to be done with it.

I think it is all getting taken too seriously.

Let people speak!!! (see above freedom of speech) Good bad and ugly.

There, I have said my 2 cents. Now feel free to come to THIS thread and say what you will because this is MY thread I have donated to THIS group, which makes it OURS.

To my way of thinking, locking threads after they've turned nasty is pointless, if we're going to be moderated like that then get rid of inflammatory posts before they've even begun.

But who wants to be moderated like that? I certainly dont so I agree wholeheartedly (although I dont live in America). So if someone is allowed to post something meant to inflame things then everyone else should be allowed to reply.

I don't feel posts should be locked. We do live in America where freedom of speech is guaranteed. If someone doesn't care for us saud in a thread, hit the back button and get out of it. That's just my 2 cents worth. Same thing if you don't like something on TV...turn the channel. We aren't children and don't need anyone watdhing over us. If someone blatantly starts an argument they deserve to be called on the carpet. This is really getting out of hand with deletions and locking threads.

Freedom of speech is a guaranteed right. However you don't have the right to go into someone's house to speak just because you want to say it in their house. This message board is OWNED by an individual who has set the rules for the board and has discretion to act.

M

Thank you MV: I was trying to find a way to state just what you said. I am so fried right now.

A comment on the "Freedom of Speech" concept.

The first amendment guarantees that our GOVERNMENT will make no laws which keep us from expressing ourselves...kinda. I used to be in OUR Army, and there is surely no freedom of speech in that setting. And, in most workplace settings, it's just not okay to go off willy-nilly and express yourself if you plan to stay employed. Have any of you had kids who tried "to exercise their rights to free speech" in a classroom? Doesn't wash.

I once asked a "customer," in my workplace, which was a major metropolitan men's jail, to take a seat and he refused, citing his right to stand there and exercise his freedom of expression. I had to tell him that he could continue to talk all he wanted, but after the deputies cuffed him and booked him, it would probably be his CELLMATES who would asking him to stop talking and sit down. And he was just someone trying to bail out a relative...not an inmate.

So, how much we get to mouth off depends on where we are. In a park...orate away! In front of the White House, you can still try. On a strike march, probably. But NOT in most places of business or someone else's lviing room or in any setting where restrictions have been placed and we have agreed to them when we signed on.

THIS is someone else's living room. (Not mine...not the moderators'. But the guy who owns the living room has asked the moderators to help him and they do.)

And I know that they do this because I get MY share of PM's, just like anyone else who wiggles a toe across the line.

And...I'm REALLY, REALLY not inviting anyone out of here...because it's not MY living room, for one thing...but it's not all that hard to set up a bulletin board and TRY for a free-for-all freedom of speech place...but they get pretty nasty, pretty fast, and anyone with a brain leaves in a hurry.

Well, Alex said the board is here to stay so if we are abiding.. we can voice our opinions IN THIS HOUSE!

Copied from Locked Thread thread.

CALM DOWN LADIES!!!!!!! ;-)

In fewer than 4 lines just PM me with your gripes. I will do whatever it takes to keep peace on this board. A forum is a great place to voice and discuss conflicting opinions. Let's just take some chill pills and get along.

LBT is here to stay.

Alex

Copied from Lap Band Talk Forum in the General Lap - Band Discussion.

Lap Band Talk Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of LapBandTalk.com - Lap Band Talk Forum will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of LapBandTalk.com - Lap Band Talk Forum will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of LapBandTalk.com - Lap Band Talk Forum reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Lap Band Talk Posting Guidelines

1. Don't report other people's experiences as truth. Share your own experiences, thoughts, opinions, theories at will.

2. Attack the idea, not the person. Basic online etiquette.

3. When posting, please show respect. We all deserve it.

4. Please take the really personal discussions to PM or e-mail.

5. Moderators will take a hands-off approach in general. The owners of LapBandTalk.com - Lap Band Talk Forum reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

6. If you have a concern about a post, alert the moderators by using the Report Bad Post button. It's at the top of every post (the exclamation point in the triangle)

Alex

I think this pretty much says it all.

Attack the idea, not the person. Basic online etiquette.

When posting, please show respect. We all deserve it.

LBT is here to HELP, not HURT!!

Why in the world should we have the need to LOCK a thread on LBT in the first place ???

This is getting out of hand. I received over 200 PMs!

Many are to blame.....let's just PM each other, say I'm sorry and move on ?

Deal ? ;-)

While I'm on a roll.....

I will ban any user with multiple personalities on LBT (you know who you are.)

I will give users 24 hours to notify me which username they'd like to keep.

24 Hours

Love the sinner, hate the sin. I think I learned that in Kindergarten Sunday School!

We have governing rules at LBT just like we have rules at work, school, public places...because we need guidance to all exercise and enjoy our freedoms TOGETHER. In real estate, when you buy property, you are entitled to undisturbed QUIET enjoyment of the land you own. Why is "quiet" in that freedom? Because by the very nature of your rights, you are also to enable people to enjoy their freedoms around you as well.

Respect, integrity, maturity...let YOUR freedom coexist with other people's freedom. This is true at LBT as well.

I love visiting this board. Let's keep it edifying and worthwhile for each other, shall we?

Jon