Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scheduled April 6 2010

Hi everyone! My name is Kim and I am from Orlando, FL. I am scheduled for the sleeve on April 6th at Florida Hospital Celebration with Dr. Keith Kim. I have been reading all your post for a couple of weeks now and decided to join as my surgery is getting closer. I have enjoyed reading all your post and some of the information has been very helpful. I am very excited about my surgery and can hardly wait. I had a couple of questions I was hoping some of you might be able to answer for me. How long did you take off from work? I know this is very dependent on the type of work that one does but I was hoping for an average. Especially for those people whose work is of a similar activity level as mine. I am a radiologic technologist or x-ray tech. I am on my feet for the majority of the day. I do lift some. Mostly the cassettes which weight about 3-5 pounds individually. I do have to help patients up and down from the x-ray table but I can probably avoid this with help from co-workers. I also have to reach above my head quite a bit to reach the x-ray tube and chest board as I am only 5'1 1/2". I don't know if that makes a difference but it seems to me it might be uncomfortable with sutures. I have scheduled almost a week off. Having surgery on a Tuesday and then returning to work the next Monday. I am young, 26, so I do not expect recovery to be too hard on me. How did you all fair? Am I giving myself enough recovery time? I appreciate your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Kim

Hi Kim and welcome from a fellow Floridian.

I really can't answer your questions because my recovery was very different from everyone elses. But, you may want to get a tiny step stool to help you when you reaching high above your head. I know most people take 7-14 days off. The thing I hear the most is that energy levels are pretty low during the first couple of weeks due to lack of food. But, a lot of people are able to get in Protein during the full liquid stage and that helps tremendously.

Best wishes on a great surgery and speedy recovery. Keep us posted as your day approaches, we'll save ya a seat on the lover's bench.

Hi Kim,

I had my surgery on the 8th and am returning to work tomorrow, so I have had 14 days, which I think was perfect. I am still a little on the tired side but I do think it is from lack of real food. If I had returned a week earlier it would of been to soon for me. I am quite bit older than you though and I am sure that will make a difference in your recovery. Can you plan on returning then and not go if your not up to it?

Love your surgery date - my 50th birthday :001_smile:

Best of luck to you in the days ahead

Diane

a week to 10 days is fine....unless you feel you need to take more after the surgery. it all depends on how you feel, if you have the opportunity to take more days, take them.......i would?ve loved more days off. wish you the best of luck:thumbup:

Hello Kim! I am a newbie too so only have a little bit of info to offer.

I had surgery last Thursday, flew home on Sunday and was in the office today. I am self employed tho and sit at a desk most of the time. I went in late, stayed for about 3 hours, and came home - because I could. LOL I was sleepy tired but my sleep schedule has been crazy since surgery. I am hoping to have that under control by this weekend. I could have stayed longer if necessary - probabably another hour or two. I did sit with a pillow in my lap for part of the time to keep me from leaning on the desk. Anytime I got a little uncomfortable, I got up to walk it off.

I have previously recovered quickly tho from surgeries so this is normal for me. I had lap gall bladder removal and was back to work in a week; and a vag hysterectomy and was on a cruise vacation in three weeks.

For me, the biggest issue was not overdoing it the first few days. I did walk but also slept as much as possible. I did not go shopping in Mexico like many others do! : )

I have not taken any pain meds in a couple of days. The incision sites are sore to the touch but nothing more than that. I am also having an easy time with liquids, yogurt and broth. I am very ready for something a bit more substantial but trying not to rush it. Hoping for potato Soup later this week!

Good Luck!