Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anxious about the Band in Dallas, TX

:nervous I am scheduled for the Lapband on Tuesday, May 30th. I have been waiting on this moment for about four years and now that it is finally here I am unsetteled about the procedure. I was comfortable with my self, but my health is failing and I have children that I want to be around for. It will change my physique and I definitely need an attitude change, but I can't help but having some fear of the unknown. Will I become so self absorbed that I will neglect my family? I work in a male dominated field and my weight has always been my safeguard against unwanted advances and harassment. I haven't always been overweight. I think that part of the reason that I was so comfortable with the weight it that it provides protection from some of the issues that have plagued women in my field who the men were attracted to. Any advice of words to help be get through

What you are feeling is only natural, after all you are having surgery. Try to keep busy and not think so much about it. Good Luck, and let us know how you are doing when you get a chance.

First of all, I applaud you. There are overweight people who still can't pinpoint why they wear their protective covering. At least you've identified the most important hurdle in overcoming your weight.

The thing to remember is that your transformation will not occur overnight. You have time to readjust mentally to both home and workplace challenges. You won't neglect your family, but make sure that you don't neglect yourself. If you're going through the trouble of having surgery, you're gonna have to put yourself first AND not feel guilty about it.

As far as the workplace bozos, remain professional, stoic, and unapproachable. For the ones still bold enough to approach you on a sexual level remind them that when you were fat you were off limits and now that you're thin you're still off limits -- nothing has changed. For the newbies not smart enough not to approach you, tell them that you're not interested in pursuing anything other than professional relationships in the workplace.

What I've listed here may sound simplistic, but think about what I've said and then brainstorm ways to deal with the various situations that may occur both at home and in the workplace. When one of the situations does occur, you'll already be well-rehearsed and more than prepared.

Thank you for the inspiration. I had the surgery on Tuesday and I got through it wonderfully.

Congrats on your surgery & welcome to bandland! :girl_hug: Watch the Texas forum, we have lunches every month on the 3rd Sat... and we join the DFW Bandsters (a Yahoo group) for meals at other times during the month.

We're glad you're here!

Welcome to the club and good luck!

:scared: I am learning to adjust to life with the lap band. It has been about 5 weeks and the compliments just keep coming. The bulk of my weight was always my midriff and it is starting to deflat.

I was excited about the first fill until I learned that I have a 'small' band that only holds 4.5cc. I was injected with 2cc on my first visit. I am starting to doubt my doctor becasue I have NEVER met with him in his office. I know that he is a busy man, but I had questions that his nurse practicitioner seemed to kind of 'blow off'. Is there anybody else who had their band filled to 50% on the first visit?

I am starting to get the gas pains in the shoulders that I heard about. How many fills can you get when they start you off with that much Fluid? Maybe I am just paranoid, but I do want this to be a success. :nervous

Lost 28 lbs. since Band on 06/30/06. Goal is to lose 70-85 lbs.

My experience sounds similar. I was banded on May 22, had my first fill

2 weeks ago.

I had done quite a bit of research before the surgery, but I guess not enough. I didn't know that there are 2 different sizes of bands.

One holds approx 4-5cc. and another "large" size holds about 14cc.

I did not know till my fill that I had a "large" band. My first fill was 5cc.

I do not see any difference, and I still have not experience that "full" feeling that I have been told I would feel. My food portions are about the same as pre-surgery. Only slightly less and that is confusing and a dissapointment. I have only seen my surgeon 1 time. Every time I go into his office, I see someone different. My questions are answered way to briefly, and when I have asked for more detail, I still get brief answers.

I guess I should be more aggressive with them....but I tend to be tongue tied when I should be asking questions.

Many of our patients don't feel much restriction until the 2nd or sometimes even 3rd fill. In fact I think there was a thread here on this website with a poll asking how many fills it took for people to feel restriction.

Also, it appears that those patients with the Vanguard or VG size Lap Band (which you have) may take just a bit longer to get to their sweet spot of restriction because with the larger size band there is more variability during your fills.

Make sure you go to your surgeon's support groups. That way you can ask questions with people who are farther along than you, and also at the same stage as you. Our patients seem to get the some of best education from other patient's in the support groups.

Of course, this site is a support group in and of itself, and you will find many people willing to help!

Good luck!

I am scheduled for lap band surgery in two weeks. While I have read much on the procedure, I've yet to talk to anyone who has gone through this. Any advice?

Every experience seems to be different. I only took 3 workdays off + the weekend. It was not enough time. I went back to work barely able to sit at my desk. I don't have to move a lot, but every movement seems like I was overdoing it. Plan to about two weeks and allow yourself time to heal. My doctor has attributed by slow recovery to my diabetes and need to take care of my family. I had planned for help, but that fell through (an emgerency in their family) so I was left to care for my young children alone during my recovery. So my advice is to treat this procedure as you would any medical procedure and don't try to fit into anybody else's recovery schedule. Pace yourself and get ready to start enjoying the rest of your life!!!!!