Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ANY regrets getting the Vertical Sleeve?

Best Money Ever Spent......... 5 weeks out (Never had any pain from the surgery) learning to operate differently but almost half way home in 5 weeks WOWWWWW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, slimming can happen to all of the surgeries.

I slimmed for 3 months when I got sleeved. And will still vomit it I eat tooo fast, or too big of bites. And I'm 11 months out.

Has it stopped now? I am having the surgery in a few weeks and this worries me. Did your surgeon use a small bougie? What size?

My only regret was getting the LapBand first :( I am losing weight and this is a much more 'normal' lifestyle than the band was. They just had on ABC news that 99% of people with band have complications!!!

I am 7 weeks out and as of today, have lost 38 pounds. I don't have the love affair with food anymore and the sleeve makes me feel very confident that I can do this!

I have had a lot of therapy with food issues and regularly attend support groups. You MUST do this to tackle the reasons why you overeat!!

FYI--My 83 year old grandmom had most of her stomach removed over 30 years ago due to an ulcer and her stomach is FINE!

No regrets. Very happy and confident that now the weight is going for good. :D

No regrets at all. One year ago, I was tipping the scales at 300 pounds and dealing with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea and significant back and knee pain. I was a single dad raising my three kids following my wife's death in 2007 and I was really scared that I wasn't going to be around to see them grow up. Today, after having my surgery on July 13, 2010, I have lost about 115 pounds and all of my health issues have resolved themselves or are well on their way to clearing up. I am dating a lovely woman and my whole outlook on life has changed.

Having said all that, I will also say that it has not been a complete walk in the park -- especially emotionally/psychologically. Fortunately, I have had no physical complications to speak of, but I have found the psychological aspects of the complete change in my relationship to food to be more difficult than I would have thought. I really didn't think I was an emotional eater, I thought I was just a big guy who loved to eat. What I learned after the surgery was that I ate when I was sad, lonely, angry, depressed, bored, upset etc. Suddenly, I found myself facing these emotions without my medication of choice -- food and it was not easy. In the beginning, there momentary bouts of "buyer's remorse" when I questioned whether I had really done the right thing, but, fortunately, those feelings were very fleeting. As time moved forward and more and more weight came off, It became clearer and clearer to me that I had made the right decision for me.

My advise for anyone who is considering this surgery. Research, research, research - get comfortable with your doctor and the procedure and then, GO FOR IT.

All the best to you,

Brian

I'm 3 weeks out of surgery, I'm 5'1" and was 247 pounds when I first entered my program - I was 228 my surgery date. While I don't regret having it, I've had my days where I've cried and asked what have I done to myself. Mainly it's because I ate too fast, or ate something that I used to love but now I can't really digest it that well. It's hard getting used to this new stomach - learning what you can and can't tolerate anymore, how much you can have, understanding what you're body is telling you. Indigestion sucks, so does the new feeling of hunger and getting used to the feeling only having about 600-800 calories. I don't regret it, I just wish I was more prepared. I went to classes and group meetings for 6 months, and I even got a binder full of information. Nothing prepares you for it like doing it though. It's a learning curbe, and for me, the type that wants to understand everything right away, it's frustrating as all get out sometimes. Days like yesterday I love my sleeve because I felt great! Today, not so much because I don't think I drank enough yesterday and I'm dragging today probably from dehydration.

Research, ask questions, and talk to post sleevers. Find out the good the bad and the ugly. I only heard wonderful things. It wasnt' until I was sleeved that I found this board and found out some of the uglies. Luckily, they're the same uglies that I face, so I don't feel so alone. It's a life changing learning process. In the end it's worth it, but getting there can is a journey. Just becuase we're sleeved the problems don't go away. Real life is still there, waiting to get me alone so I can eat my problems away. I am still in therapy and will continue to be until I learn other coping skills besides food. You have to be willing to put in the work not only during the operation, and care thereafter, but on you, on the inside...as well as exercising and working your body on the outside. It's a tool. You have to use it. I think if you decide to do the surgery you'll find the good days outweigh the bad and the end result will have you feeling like it's the best decision you've ever made.

Good luck!

I am only 5 weeks out, and yes, I have some regrets. I wish my doctor had told me I couldn't take NSAIDS for my osteoarthritis. My knee is killing me, and Tylenol doesn't help. I wish they would stop showing restaurant and fast food ads on TV. I want pizza, Italian food, Mexican food so bad! At this point I am second-guessing my surgery. But I know that a few more weeks from now I won't regret it at all. I could never have lost this much weight on my own, and I know it won't come back. I have never vomited, but I have felt like I needed to on occasion when I ate too fast. I am looking forward to being able to eat things that are forbidden right now. (I love salad!) In short, I think most people have a few weeks of thinking "did I do the right thing, or have I made a big mistake?" even if they won't admit it. It's only natural to feel that way when your diet is so restricted at first. But in the long run, it will be the best thing I have ever done for myself.

I am only 5 weeks out, and yes, I have some regrets. I wish my doctor had told me I couldn't take NSAIDS for my osteoarthritis. My knee is killing me, and Tylenol doesn't help. I wish they would stop showing restaurant and fast food ads on TV. I want pizza, Italian food, Mexican food so bad! At this point I am second-guessing my surgery. But I know that a few more weeks from now I won't regret it at all. I could never have lost this much weight on my own, and I know it won't come back. I have never vomited, but I have felt like I needed to on occasion when I ate too fast. I am looking forward to being able to eat things that are forbidden right now. (I love salad!) In short, I think most people have a few weeks of thinking "did I do the right thing, or have I made a big mistake?" even if they won't admit it. It's only natural to feel that way when your diet is so restricted at first. But in the long run, it will be the best thing I have ever done for myself.

I am sorry you having a rough time. Check with your doctor because I do believe once you are all healed you can take NSAIDS agian. I am a little over 3 months out and I take motrin on occasion, I just make sure I food in first. Have you ever considered cortisone shots for your knee? I have a horridly arthretic knee that has bone on bone for over 20 years and the shots have me walking normal in a day and last for months.

Your diiet will become more varied very soon. I know eat out quite often.

I guess I divorced food way before my surgery, I wanted to loose weight soooooo bad that I put myself on a self imposed diet in June of 2010. Most days I would have no Breakfast (I know) than I would have a huge turkey chef salad for lunch that I kept the dressing on the side and used very little of with each bite. I would then have a light dinner. I was ALWAYS hungry and thinking about what to eat for my next meal. Then in August of last year I found this website and started adding Protein shakes for Breakfast as I figured I might as well find one I liked, and I cut out breads to get used to it.

Now after surgery I don't view what I cant eat as something bad, I get stoked on how little it takes to fill me up! I love taking a few bites of salad and about 4 bites of chicken and being full! It is control and satisfaction I have never had in my life! Sure I have thought about the bad foods, but I want the number on the scale to be lower so much more than I want those foods, that is how I keep it in perspective. Now with that being said,,,, I have indulged here and there, like one night I wanted fried pickles like no ones business and I had them,, the good news is I could only eat 6 of them and I was totally full. So I enjoyed the taste I had been craving WITHOUT the guilt of having sat there and ate the whole basket! I have tried bread, it does not feel good so when I go out I order sandwiches minus the roll or bread and I still end up taking most of it home.

I guess when I think how good it feels to see a smaller number on the scale ( I often use the mental image of the scale in my head) it gives me more satisfaction than the food I used to want.

I can tell you after you lose the weight your knee will start to feel better.

So back to the original posting,, NO NOT ONE REGRET! I get psyched every day I see a lower number on the scale and the feeling lasts all day long and inspires me to make good choices all day long!