Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confession Time

Thanks Tracy! Yeah carb watching is tough, I thought that i would never do carbs again after this surgery. . . yeah right. .SOMEONE: lately i've been wanting SOMETHING to eat, but haven't figured out what it is yet. . . anyone else have this weirdness occuring. . .i haven't done anything about it however, cause i don't know. . . i ask myself what it may be that i want but haven't put my finger on it yet. . . all i know it's driving me nuts. . . and it's not carbs, Proteins, fats, or anything. . . its not chocolate, nuts, seeds, veggies, fruits, or bread. . .it's not stuff to drink, I go through a list of stuff, but nothing. . . what should i do???? I've been guzzling Water, poweraid, and SF crystals. . . its not thirst. . . ?????? so very weird. . .maybe i'm lacking in a Vitamin. . .(good lord, after taking about 8-10 Vitamins a day you'd think this wouldn't be the issue)

Ohhhh yeah... I've had that feeling a couple of times in the last few days. Before, my go-to food when I want "something" has always been Cereal, but that's a dangerous path for me, because I was having cereal every day, not only for Breakfast, but after a full dinner as well. I'm afraid to allow myself to have any now, even if it's just a little bit and I haven't had any other carbs during the day. Like right now, I better just get outta this post and stop thinking about it or I'll be obsessing over Raisin Bran all day long!

Stacy, I know just how you feel on that! A couple weeks ago I had one of those "gotta munch" days...I tracked everything...but felt like I had really been indulgent with myself and had overdone it.

Grim total that day?? 1064 calories, 65 grams of carbs and 87 gram protien.

Now....I know people that have lost over 100# by keeping carbs under 100 grams per day and eating 1800 calories a day. It's all perspective, and sometimes we're just too hard on ourselves. I now believe in following my personal set of dietary rules 90% of the time. The other 10% I make informed choices. They might not be the best food choice, but I as long as I know what's in there and what I'll have to do to counteract it...I'm fine. For instance, last weekend I went to visit my brother's family. They had tacoes for supper (per my request). I had a corn tortilla...it was probably 16 grams of carbs in one tortilla shell. I enjoyed EVERY bite! I could only eat one, it isn't something I do every day and I felt very normal, and very satisfied with my "real food" portion! A year ago I would have eaten at least 4 tacoes.

I had surgery to control my portions and be satisfied with less. Not to eat lousy food and to obsess about grams of this or that.

I'm glad I read this thread. Tracy you affirmed for me that accountability it key. I am learning (only now), that I must keep track of what I eat and when I do I find I've got more control over my food decisions...simple as that. Thanks for excellent advise.:001_unsure:

Sorry, this doesn't relate to the sleeve at all but...I must confess I feel like I'm losing everything right now. I'm in my last semester of undergraduate studies and as long as I pass my classes, will graduate in May. I'm going through a rough time right now trying to be there for a friend who is in a relationship with a bad man. She talks to me about their problems (they've been dating a month), and all the signs lead me to believe, especially knowing his prior history with women, that he is going to end up hurting her. He freaked out on me this weekend and was extremely disrespectful to me over something trivial, and she defended him over it. I'm afraid I'm losing my best friend and don't know what to do about it. If I try to help her see him for what he is, I'm just going to push her further away. I don't know that I'm exactly looking for advice on the situation, but I guess it's just nice to be able to let it out. I feel like I don't have people to talk to about it because she's my BEST friend. And on top of that, I'm finding it really really difficult to concentrate on college right now when I know I need to be. Thanks for letting me rant. :confused1:

ThinOneDay,

my surgeon recommends 600-800 calories, 30 grams of carbs and 70 grams of Protein daily during the high weight loss phase. Your surgeon might say something else. A nutritionist usually recommends higher calories and higher carbs. 30 and under carb grams is tough. It takes real planning and I think it leaves out some really healthy eating. Like I've said elsewhere, I prefer a modified form of it. I eat healthy carbs in moderation (like Beans, healthy vegetables, high Fiber fruit, vegetables and grains). Then I make sure that my processed carbs don't go over 20 on that day. For instance, I'm not going to forego having a healthy bowl of chili, which is high in protein and fiber, just because the beans are high carb. However, if I have a few fritos with it, I'm going to count those carbs as they're more "dangerous" carbs, more processed and higher glycemic impact.

Alot depends on your activity level.

I agree Tracy! I always try to eat healthy / organic, problem now is that when I pass by that horrible fast food place on a bad day I can eat an entire burger (or 2), then it starts that cycle of high glycemic cycling. I love the idea of the sleeve, that way when I fall off the wagon, I can't! But all other times in my life I eat heathly, whole wheat, high fiber, fresh fruit and veggies. I plan to stick to a "Fiber 35 diet" after weight loss, that seems the heathiest to me and my body seems to like it.

Tracy (too.)

Sorry, this doesn't relate to the sleeve at all but...I must confess I feel like I'm losing everything right now. I'm in my last semester of undergraduate studies and as long as I pass my classes, will graduate in May. I'm going through a rough time right now trying to be there for a friend who is in a relationship with a bad man. She talks to me about their problems (they've been dating a month), and all the signs lead me to believe, especially knowing his prior history with women, that he is going to end up hurting her. He freaked out on me this weekend and was extremely disrespectful to me over something trivial, and she defended him over it. I'm afraid I'm losing my best friend and don't know what to do about it. If I try to help her see him for what he is, I'm just going to push her further away. I don't know that I'm exactly looking for advice on the situation, but I guess it's just nice to be able to let it out. I feel like I don't have people to talk to about it because she's my BEST friend. And on top of that, I'm finding it really really difficult to concentrate on college right now when I know I need to be. Thanks for letting me rant. :thumbup:

I've been going through the same thing since right before Christmas. I know how you feel, and I had to come to the realization that some people just have to make their own path, we can try to help them along the way, but as they blindly walk that path, and we see all the dark and danger, all we can do is be there for them when they allow us to be.

My heart hurts bc I know you're hurting. Focus on you, your studies, and your future.

My confession for the day: Today at Ross, trying on my new dress, I asked the dressing room clerk (probably in her late 40's to 50's) what she thought of the dress and shrug, and she said " you look damn sexy " and I actually believed her. I must have blushed, or she could tell I was embarrassed, and she said "no seriously, you look fabulous in that dress".

It was a great little moment between me and stranger that didn't have any idea that I had surgery.

These little victories are what make the grey days oh so very sunny ! ! !

My heart hurts bc I know you're hurting. Focus on you, your studies, and your future.

Thank you, Tiffy! I will do my best. And I hope that your situation works itself out soon as well.

Also, I LOVE your confession for the day! :thumbup:

I am in Miami and will return to Oregon on Tues. late in the evening.

I confess I ate everything and anything I wanted on the cruise and I am sure I must have gained 10 lbs. I am afraid to get on the scale when I get home!

I hope I don't have any trouble taking it back off. I can barely button my pants. I know once I get into my old routine, I will feel better. I am looking forward to that! Letting my food addiction get back out of control was actually not fun.

I am in Miami and will return to Oregon on Tues. late in the evening.

I confess I ate everything and anything I wanted on the cruise and I am sure I must have gained 10 lbs. I am afraid to get on the scale when I get home!

I hope I don't have any trouble taking it back off. I can barely button my pants. I know once I get into my old routine, I will feel better. I am looking forward to that! Letting my food addiction get back out of control was actually not fun.

Daisy I am sure you will whip yourself back into shape. Just Zumba and you'll burn those extra calories away!

Oh Zumba really hurts my back and neck. I am bummed about that.My ortho doctor wants me to give it up completely so I am going to have to cut back on it. I will go back to the eiliptikill machine though.

I have not had a good week, sleeve-wise. (I count my sleeve weeks from Monday - Sunday since I weigh in Monday mornings.)

The urge to graze and pick at things just because they looked good hit me for the first time this week. I haven't been completely horrible, but I've eaten in more of a maintenance-style than in a way that'll help me lose. I've had cheesy potatoes and a chicken soft taco from Taco Bell, a couple handfulls of popcorn, a couple bites from an apple crumb cake that a patient brought in on Thursday--OH, and Friday we had a baby shower for a girl at work, and I had about a 3" piece of turkey sub (with bun), about a 1" x 2" piece of cake, and a bread stick. Carb-o-rama!

And, I have NOT been getting my Water in, maybe only 32-48 oz. a day. Working on that.

AND, I only made it to the gym Monday.... not Wednesday, not yesterday or today. So, I'm not looking to see stellar things on the scale tomorrow. I'll be happy if it moves in the right direction at all!

That said, the pair of pants I have on right now is definitely looser and baggier than they were last week soooooo... we'll see I guess.

Funny thing is, pro-op it wouldn't have been unusual for me to have four or five times as much of all those same foods, all in one day!!

Stacy, I had the exact same thing happen to me this week. I had a few mini-Reeses, yogurt covered pretzels, ice cream...I felt so guilty but still lost a pound since yesterday. Any time I'm not eating Protein I feel guilty. We were sleeved at the same time and I think we were just testing our tummies? Now that we can eat anything, lets just see what happens...and nothing happens! I don't understand the odd feeling I get though when i eat something sweet like ice cream. It's just not that great of a feeling but I can't really pinpoint what it is that my stomach is doing, like a churning airy feeling. Oh well, back to the plan tomorrow!

Oh Zumba really hurts my back and neck. I am bummed about that.My ortho doctor wants me to give it up completely so I am going to have to cut back on it. I will go back to the eiliptikill machine though.

Oh sorry I know you really had been enjoying it for a while. I am scheduled to take zumba classes in April--I hope I can keep up. It looks kind of fast paced.

You can modify if you need to. Zumba is all about having fun,even if you don't do it exactly like the instructors do it.

I modify all the time when my knees start to hurt.

My daughter is going to start teaching Zumba gold which is for people out of shape, or who have injuries, etc. I think it will be popular because a lot of the older people like Zumba, but it's too hard on the ol body parts!