Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the Emmanuelle/Jerusalem clinic like?

Hi!

I'm having surgery on Jan. 23! and would like to know what I'd likely expect at this site, please.

Also, would you tell me what it was like at either of the group homes? -- my surgery is with Dr. Almanza.

What do I need to pack for Mexico, please?

Thanks so much.

Hey! I am scheduled with dr. almanzo on january 15th :thumbup1: The company I am going through is called Weight Loss Forever and they have a bit of information about the clinic on their website, Weight Loss Forever I haven't been there yet but Stoongal here on the boards has and she can tell you everything you need to know, she has really helped me!!

In terms of what to bring, I am bringing loose/baggy clothes, a heating pad, some gas x strips(because there are none in mexico), some immodium, polysporin, and i think thats it, oh and a list of spanish words(and the translation) that the nurses use because in the hospital some do not speak english.

Good luck on your surgery :)

Hi Lauren!

Thank you so much for your reply. As you can see, you're the only person who has. Unfortunately, getting people's experiences with this hospital gets drowned in other "issues".

Yes! I did see Stoongal's comments that were very much appreciated. But, I thought there should be many more people who could provide personal experiences? Is it too hot? too cold? Is it noisy so that a person should bring ear plugs?

I wonder if anyone takes anything to give to the nurses in lieu of tips, etc.?

Thank you so much for your list!

And of course! I wish you the very best with your surgery!

All the best, Lauren...

oxo Cheryl

Hello,

The New Jerusalem Hospital only opened last week, so there are going to be very few who can speak about it. I was there the week before. The recovery house is very nice, you will be comfortable. I would take something warm and baggy to wear. There are space heaters in the room to keep things toasty. An electric blanket is going to trip the house's breakers if everyone is using their heaters. That happened while I was there. The fridge is stocked with gatorade, Jello, and Water. There is Soup and broth for you to eat. If you have a travelling companion, have them bring some food that they will like, or make sure they have Tony stop at the market so they can purchase food. There is not much for them to eat once they get to the house, and there is not a store nearby within walking distance. You will love Dr. Almanza, he is going to do a great job for you.

Thanks very much! And yes! having another option in addition to a heating pad is prudent -- I didn't think of the electrical so thanks! again.

And yes, the new Jerusalem hospital as well as the new recovery house will have very little data but I was hoping I might find someone who could tell me more about them.

All the best to you!

Hi I posted alot about my experience with Dr. Almanza on my blog. I didnt go to Jerusalem, however Lolalucy just returned.

Good luck!

I just returned on the 8th of Jan. I had my surgery on the 5th and it was good. Dr. Almanza (very cute by the way) and his team were very professional and did an excellent job. The night of the surgery, we had a night nurse who didn't really check on us. We did talk to Dr. Betancourt and Severo about it. That was our only big issue. Our mom was there, so to suggest something, I would say for sure bring someone along who isn't having a surgery. The recovery house is nice and comfortable. There are two people, Teo and Sylvia who cook and clean for you. Tony, our driver, took us to the OXXO store and mom got some goodies there. While my sister and I were in surgery, my mom went with Yvonne to costco and got a couple slices of pizza and a hot dog to eat. I would say bring comfy clothes, gas x strips, books, etc to read. There is a couple english channels in the hospital. Most of the staff does not understand very much english. Severo was our translator but had a surgery the day after us...he's very good. Dr. Betancourt speaks english and spanish, and he is super nice! I hope you have a good surgery. You're in good hands. I'm feeling good and already have lost 17.5 pounds since Jan. 3rd. Wow!!!!!

Hi Everybody! Cheryl!!!

I'm also seeing Dr. Almanza on the 23rd for my VSG!

I'm a newbie here, ( & to posting on boards) so just learning this stuff, but I'm so excited to be connecting to other people who have gone or are going.

Hi all

I have had Dr. Almanza for two surgeries now. I had the band in March and then did a revision to the sleeve Dec 30th. I did not get to see the new hospital, but that is fine with me. Dr. Almanza is a very qualified surgeon, and they take great care of you! The nurses are good, some don't speak enough english. And the thing I like more than anything.......ask Dr Betancourt and it will be taken care of!!!!!!!! He is there to make sure everything goes smooth and you have a wonderful experience. If you don't have his # call your coordinator, and she will call him for you.

I love the new recovery house, I had a huge room!! Private bath and walk in closet, I wish I would have stayed an extra day!! I like the fact that they have the patio where you can go and enjoy the sunshine too!

For all of you wondering, YES I would recommend Dr. Almanza he is great!!! His english was not the best for my first surgery but you can tell he has been studying, he is pretty fluent now! And yes he is easy to look at!

Thanks very much for your replies! I've learned alot about what I should have to maximize comfort levels:

1. pre-op diet to detoxify, clean out digestive system and reduce glycogen in liver

2. heat source: heat pad and microwaveable heat wrap

3. gas-X

4. appropriate Spanish to ask for pain meds (Necesito la medicaci?n de dolor por favor)

5. warm, loose clothing

6. slippers

7. antiseptic spray and Purell-similar stuff

8. something to read or similar

I'm going alone so it will be great to meet up with CynCyn! And, I have to stay in San Diego for 2 nights before I can get back to the Island. I think I'll be all right on my own for that time.

Good luck to us that are going to have the surgery. And, I hope everyone has a joyful recovery.

Hi!

Dr, Almanza operated on me on January 5th. He was very professional and patiently answered my questions with help from a translator. My stomach feels great, and my five new holes in my stomach are healing nicely. Last week, I had a little bit tougher time than the others at the hospital because I ended up getting a sinus infection. (I always get a sinus infection when I leave the country. Yuck!)

Dr. Almanza is the surgeon while Dr. Betancourt is the "host". Dr. Betancourt exudes personality! He's definitely the most colorful doctor I have ever met. I appreciated his medical expertise and frankness.

My one caution is for you to keep an open mind about your definition of a good hospital. For example, the hospital is clean, but it is not the sprawling facility with a gift shop and cafeteria that many of us are used to in the US. The Jerusalem Hospital offers six tiny patient rooms with the OR about 50 feet from the front door. Also, the hospital is located in a strip mall across from the Love Boutique. :-)

However, the recovery house is very modern and comfortable. It is located in small gated community across from Dr. Bentancourt's own house. There is a housekeeper who cooks and cleans and drivers who will take you shopping if you are feeling up to it.

Both the hospital and recovery house have WiFi, but I did not spend much time on my laptop because I just wanted to sleep. Also, you will have access to free phone calls to your family and friends.

I will admit that once the driver pulled into the strip mall I had second thoughts about the whole operation. However, once I met the doctors and other staff members, I felt right at ease. They patiently catered to my needs and answered my many many questions.

I recommended the hospital to my sister who is pretty down to earth. However, my mother is a complete diva, so I suggested that she use a hospital in the US.

I hope this helps!

Toni

2be4me

Hey I forgot to mention that I was cold in the hospital and the recovery house, so take an electric blanket and a heating pad. I wore jeans on the way down and sweats on the way home. Anything loose fitting but warm will work. And of course Gasx, it is a god send after surgery. I always take a good book for before the surgery, usually after you don't feel like reading. Lip gloss, is nice too. I did not take a robe and slippers but I wish I would have! Lots of panties, wear your worst pair during surgery because they will get messy. I brought bikini cut and they were perfect for the drain.

Anything you don't have they will make sure you can get it. (except gasx) so make sure you take it with you.

You will do great!!!

Hi Everyone!

Thanks very much for your replies. I'm very happy to hear that you've had good experiences and I do appreciate your good wishes.

My wish is that everyone achieves everything they've ever dreamed.

:thumbup:

2b4me, I too will be having surgery at Jerusalem on the 23rd, I look forward to starting this journey with you and Cyn. See you Saturday!

I had my surgery December 17, 2009. It has been a month and altogether I have lost 22lbs. I am 5'8" and weighed 209. I weigh 187. I did not follow the aftercare diet to the tee, my body lets me know if I should or should not eat something.

As for the Jerusalem Hospital, I have nothing but good things to say. You must remember that the Dr. Almanza, the staff and Dr Betancourt work seven days a week, 365 days a year. They are doing many surgeries a day. (When I was there they did 5 procedures - 3 sleeves, 1 band and 1 rouxny). So they have probably experienced a great deal of situations and are now very experienced at handling almost all emergencies and complications.

What to take:

1. Gas-x The meltaway strips -the red(cherry/cinnamon?)

2. Germ-x - for plane, clinic, house, vehicles. I used this like crazy to prevent flu/colds.

3.Neosporin spray for the wounds.

4. Several pajamas(3), robe, and slippers. Pajamas with pants were better becuz the drain was not taken off until the fourth day.I also took several (3) of those comfy jogging (house of Derrion)sets. It to put on not much to coordinate and looks good and comfy

5. I took prilosec becuz i had read the boards, some people get heartburn. I did becuz i had a spicy tomatoe basil Soup at hotel the night before I was flying home and got heartburn with hiccups.If not for prilosec I would not have been able to sleep that night.

6. I get cold, so i took (3) thick warm fuzzy socks. ..

7. i took a magazine and a book but could not read. Took laptop but really did not use ..You will be tired.

8. I did not take earplugs but wished I had. There was a person who came to help their loved one recover and they were staying at the recovery house. They slept in the room directly above us and they fell asleep with tv. on very very loud. My roommate and I did not sleep all night the first night, so in retrospect ear plugs sound good.

9. Alcohol swabs for wounds also. I took band aids with wound care gel in them. I changed the bandages. I was very worried about infection.

10. A final item on wish list that i would have taken would have been to get antibiotics in liquid form from my general doctor. She was not upset about me going to Mexico and having this surgery so i'm sure she would have prescribed it for me had i asked. The antibiotics they give you to take (when they dissolve in your mouth) taste horrible. horrible. HORRIBLE they made me want to vomit.

I hope this helps, good luck. I have had no serious complications. I havebeen tired, very tired, but ihad surgery so I know and am hopeful that in another month, my body will adjust and i will get back to normal

Edited by medinaguz
spelling