Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help - Post op One week

I could use some help. I had surgery in Nov 26th in Mexico. I came home with antibiotics which is the Docs standard post op care. Unfortunately, I have an infection at the largest incision and my post op doc had to open the suture and begin drainage. This is VERY painful - pressing down on a tender belly to make lots of pus and blood clear out. At home, hubby has to do the same twice a day. I am also on and off having low grade fevers - as high as 101. Has anyone else experiened this - should I go to ER. MY doc in US was very standoff about dealing with me - the usual - didnt want to deal with a nut who went to mexico - so i doubt i am going to get anything there. Im scared - I have 3 young boys who need there mom and i cant let anything happen to me - is this life threatened? Also, does anyone have a doc in NYC or NJ that might do follow up? My doc seemed standoffish - and didnt offer meds or bloodwork or anything. I prefer to find someone else if possible

Edited by njsleever
added a question at end and edited threatening to threatened

I'm sure others that have experienced complications will chime in as soon as they see this thread. In the meantime, stay on the antibiotics...perhaps apply warm compresses to draw the infection to the surface?

Insist on good care from your doctor..that's what you're paying him for!

Tracy

I had an infection in the same incision you are talking about. The antibiotics they gave you post op are the same ones my dr at home said I needed. So keep taking them. Make sure you dont miss a dose. Find a dr that will listen to you and take your problems seriously. If needed go to the ER.

My incision cleared up without having to open and drain it, luckily.

I hope you start feeling better soon. Please stay positive, it will help with the healing process.

Edited by Gingin33

Yes, I think you should go to

the ER if this does not clear up.

sometimes the infection needs to

be packed with gauze. these infections are nothing to fool

around with.

i had my surgery done at emmanual medical with dr almanza. todays update is that the organism is very resistant to antibiotics. I will need dressing packing for two weeks after release. i will need a pic in my arm so i can do at home iv antibiotics for the next 2 to four weeks. as far as hospital release - i need to be fever free for 24 hours. as of an hour ago - despite all meds and in the hospital stay of 6 nites - i had 104 fever/ this has been painful, costly and generally a horrid experience. unless i reach out - there hasnt been much reaching out to me from the coordinator. I must say though that the surgeons have done a ct scan and beleive th eoperation was done well. They are not impressed with 4 out of 5 incision infections though. I will miss my sons bday - the doc has asked that i stay home from work 3 weeks so the scar is not aggravated and i minimize and possibility of reinfection, i cry and feel so alone. i am in isolation. thanks for listening

i had my surgery done at emmanual medical with dr Almanza. todays update is that the organism is very resistant to antibiotics. I will need dressing packing for two weeks after release. i will need a pic in my arm so i can do at home iv antibiotics for the next 2 to four weeks. as far as hospital release - i need to be fever free for 24 hours. as of an hour ago - despite all meds and in the hospital stay of 6 nites - i had 104 fever/ this has been painful, costly and generally a horrid experience. unless i reach out - there hasnt been much reaching out to me from the coordinator. I must say though that the surgeons have done a ct scan and beleive th eoperation was done well. They are not impressed with 4 out of 5 incision infections though. I will miss my sons bday - the doc has asked that i stay home from work 3 weeks so the scar is not aggravated and i minimize and possibility of reinfection, i cry and feel so alone. i am in isolation. thanks for listening

My heart absolutely breaks for you. I really hope you get some answers from those who performed the surgery, or at least set it up for you.

You are in my prayers, and I wish for a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted as you progress, and take care of yourself. I know it's difficult to not stress, but your body needs to recover. Stress will only slow the process down.

I had a pic line in my arm. I was super scared about changing my lines, but it was super easy.

Please keep us posted.

NJSleever,

You are NOT alone. We are all here with you and you can reach out at any time to us for support, compassion and company. Keep thinking positive thoughts, even in this time of darkness.

Like I prayed for someone else, most of all I pray for peace for you. Peace with your situation, peace for your future. Healing can be achieved with medicine, but peace has to come from within. I hope you're back on your feet and running a New York marathon very soon!!!!

I really feel for you! Sorry to hear about your infection. I had an infection in my c-section after my son was born. Same thing had to drain it every day for 2 weeks and antibiotics by it healed and I'm fine. It has left more scaring than on the other side. It seems dented in a bit. Hope your scars don't look to bad after this. But all things pass, just hang in there and stick to orders. Best of luck!

i had my surgery done at emmanual medical with dr Almanza. todays update is that the organism is very resistant to antibiotics. I will need dressing packing for two weeks after release. i will need a pic in my arm so i can do at home iv antibiotics for the next 2 to four weeks. as far as hospital release - i need to be fever free for 24 hours. as of an hour ago - despite all meds and in the hospital stay of 6 nites - i had 104 fever/ this has been painful, costly and generally a horrid experience. unless i reach out - there hasnt been much reaching out to me from the coordinator. I must say though that the surgeons have done a ct scan and beleive th eoperation was done well. They are not impressed with 4 out of 5 incision infections though. I will miss my sons bday - the doc has asked that i stay home from work 3 weeks so the scar is not aggravated and i minimize and possibility of reinfection, i cry and feel so alone. i am in isolation. thanks for listening

Dear NJSleever,

You are never alone. As long as you hold your little boys and your husband in your heart you are never alone. I'm sure they are thinking of you all the time. Just picture your thoughts and their thoughts creating a bridge that cannot be broken. I don't know if you're a person of faith, but if you are then you know that God is always with you. Even in your darkest hours He is there holding you. I pray that He will give you strength, complete healing, and comfort. May you feel surrounded by his love and care at all times. You can count on us, too! God Bless you.