Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG while staying crunchy. Is it possible?

It will be helpful if you plan on gong to Mexico for the surgery, to learn at least a little spanish before you go, or take someone with you who speaks spanish. I speak/understand a little, and even so, during the night when the nurses did not know any english at all, it was difficult to communicate several times. The day nurses were very fluent in english.

What does "staying crunchy" mean?

Thanks for enlightening me.

I am wondering what the title of this thread means. "staying crunchy is it possible?

:-) Crunchy like granola....its a little teasing term for people who are sort of health obsessed. It is ironic that I am in the position I am in after pregnancy because I spent many years very "crunchy" Like eating flax seeds in everything or eating raw or vegan, using all natural remedies instead of going to the doctor, growing a mustache rather than waxing ( havent gone that far) types of things. My daughter actually likes brussel sprouts, cabbage, veggie dogs etc through she draws the line at kale. Very Berkeley-esque which is where I live.

I just want to go back to being the person I was before my pregnancy. I think a lot of it is emotional. Some very difficult things I went through when I was a child came up for me while I was pregnant and as soon as I found out I was having a girl. I had a really hard time and am still coming to terms with a lot of it though I am much better with it now, its just that the weight doesnt want to budge. I still eat relatively healthy, I just eat a LOT and I do think I have developed the habit of eating to comfort myself or numb myself sometimes.

And Cajun, I do agree it is very important I get a lttle Spanish. I mean I actually speak about as much as the average Californian for whom it is not a first language but I dont think thats enough to communicate on medically related things which is not something you pick up in casual speak. I did see that Dr. Aceves forms include a page of terms in spanish to learn or keep on hand. Very helpful!

Thanks for the definition. Is it a mostly "california" term? I've never heard it before....California does seem to be a "starter"State...always ahead of everyone else!

Dr. Aceves office gives you a paper while you're in the hospital with common terms in case one of the nurses doesn't speak English. All of

mine did though.I think most of his staff does.

Daisy, Oh good they give it to you there! One less thing to have to keep track of then when I am going. That will help a lot if I dont have all English speaking nurses.

Cajun, you know, that could very well be a regional term, I just never realized that before now as I have heard it so much. BTW, I cant believe you have lost 40 lbs since the end of Sept. That is so great!

Have either of you heard anything about compression garments after surgery being a good or bad thing? I am talking about the body girdles essentially.

I'm not Cajun or Daisy, but I know some people swear that the body shapers, and girdle type undergarments are great for helping the skin rebound. I wear compression shorts when I work out to help hold my tummy up and tight.

I'm going to invest in a couple of pair of UnderArmour shorts because they help keep moisture away from your body.

And, I've heard of "crunchy" just because I had a few friends in Texas who led a "crunchy" lifestyle.

Hi i dont know your bmi but i have kaiser and am getting surgery at south city kaiser on the 23rd you just need a doc referral good luck

Tiff,

Hi! Thanks for the info. I kind of feel like I know so many of you guys because I was a bit of a lurker for a while before posting, so I definitely know who you are. :-)

Cathy,

Wow! thanks for the info. I hadnt even mentioned it to my Kaiser doc because the limit I had been told by some private places here was 35. I never even thought to check with Kaiser about it. Thanks for the tip.

Daisy, Oh good they give it to you there! One less thing to have to keep track of then when I am going. That will help a lot if I dont have all English speaking nurses.

Cajun, you know, that could very well be a regional term, I just never realized that before now as I have heard it so much. BTW, I cant believe you have lost 40 lbs since the end of Sept. That is so great!

Have either of you heard anything about compression garments after surgery being a good or bad thing? I am talking about the body girdles essentially.

I actually started a presurg diet in mid August, so the weight loss began at that time.

I'm a bit hesitant about using compression garments because of the increased risk of compressing blood vessels, and possibly increasing risk of blood clots. That's one potentially lethal risk factor post sleeve, and especially if you get dehydrated. I'd rather just be who I am, flab and all, until I get it taken off surgically. I am starting to "grow wings" as I lose in my upper arms.

:crying::blushing:

Hi, Joon

I live in the SF area too. I had a consultation with Dr. Jossart and he was willing to do my surgery with a BMI of 34. The cost was going to be over $16,000 for a lapband I'm sure much more for a sleeve. I have not had surgery yet but I am having it done in Tijuana at the Limarp surgery clinic by Dr. Pompa. I believe it is 15 minutes from the San Diego airport. Good luck, Mayflo

Well I have my surgery date, January 5th with Dr. Aceves. I had to plan so far in advance so I could have ample time to arrange coverage for my clients, interns and childcare for my girl. Now that I am settled and scheduled though I just want it to be here now! So excited and nervous. I dont need to do a pre-op diet but I think I will anyway, just because it will be so great to get a head start. I really hope this works for me!!

gosh, I would love to go to Dr Aceves, but hubbie won't let me. . .THATS OK THOUGH, because it took me 1 1/2 years just to get him to come to a seminar and then i wanted the band and he said no, I won't support you with the band, but I will with the sleeve! Go figure?????? So if he want's me to spend 15,500. . .so be it I guess! but I would love to go over there. . . talked to him about it extremely briefly and he said "then I would have to go there first to check out the place and the doctor" Gosh that would take another 1 - 2 years! hehehe. . . here is ok. . .too close right now. . .

Dear Joon-

I'm glad you are having surgery. You said money was not the only consideration. So, I am wondering why your are having surgery in Mexico?

I decided to have VSG surgery after reading a ton of medical journals on Bypass, Band, VSG, et. (I am a biochemist - medicine is a related field.) Once I decided that I wanted VSG, I immediately called LapSF and asked if they took out of state patients. Jossart & Cirangle of San Francisco are two of the pioneers of this surgery and are highly respected internationally. I had read their published research results (which included complication rates.) Jossart & Cirangle have VSG complication rates at the lower end of those published in the medical journals. You will not find anyone better or more experienced to do your surgery anywhere in the world.

Mexican surgeons never have any complications. This is because they have a culture of telling people what they want to hear No respectable medical journal would believe a doctor who said he never had any complications. Why should anyone else?

I traveled to San Francisco to have my surgery because of Dr. Jossart's reputation and experience. My total cost for the surgery and 1 year follow-up care from the doctor and dietician was $17,300. This is not as cheap as surgery in Mexico, but what kind of follow-up care are you going to get from Mexico? $17,300 is less than half of what the cost would have been here in Oregon. In addition, the surgeons in Oregon have much less experience with VSG.

California Pacific Medical Center in SF is first rate. The nursing staff was very attentive. The place was very clean and sanitary. The staff was on top of everything.

I understand that serious financial constraints compel some people to go to Mexico for surgery. But, if that isn't the issue, why would you choose to go to a country where the sanitation is terrible and corruption is rampant? Why not have THE BEST surgeon and the best care available anywhere in the world?

Money doesn't grow on trees. But...this is irreversible and major surgery.

Best wishes,