Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

blood clots....please help

Hi a very dear friend of mine also had the gastric sleeve and sadly passed away from having blood clots in his lungs... my question and concern....Is how long do we need to worry about getting blood clots? I was under the impression that you only had to worry about them during surgery and right after.....he was already almost 1 month out of surgery and then developed these blood clots.... I see my surgeon tomorrow so I am hoping he has alot more answers to help ease my mind....but I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was?:001_tongue:

Hi a very dear friend of mine also had the gastric sleeve and sadly passed away from having blood clots in his lungs... my question and concern....Is how long do we need to worry about getting blood clots? I was under the impression that you only had to worry about them during surgery and right after.....he was already almost 1 month out of surgery and then developed these blood clots.... I see my surgeon tomorrow so I am hoping he has alot more answers to help ease my mind....but I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was?:001_tongue:

Okalani, sorry, to hear about your friend. That is very tragic. I dont know if there is an exact "stop" date that you can stop worrying about clots but from personal experience (a nurse). I have seen them weeks after the procedure (like 8 weeks or so = 2months). That does not mean that the risk isnt longer or this is typical, I havent really seen that happen that much far out from that date. Of course it depends on the patient's risk factors (smoker, previous history of clots, lab work, mobility status (bed bound vs mobile), etc. So there are A LOT of factors that go into a persons risk of developing a clot. That is why I started exercising (brisk walking, etc) directly after having the VSG. That was one of my main concerns.

I hope this helps.

I'm soooo sorry that happen to your friend that the first death i ever herad of with the vertical sleeve:crying:. ((hugs)) that breaks my heart when i here of someone passing away from weightloss surgery it never seems fair.

nikki

Edited by ryansgirl

Okalani,

First, let me welcome you to the VST family. We're happy to have you join us and hope to see you here often.

Secondly, I am so sorry for the death of your friend.

I don't know much about blood clots; however, I am sure your surgeon will be able to give you information, as well as some of the nurses on this site. I do know that Dr. Aceves gives blood thinners to his patients before surgery, sometimes after as needed, and puts compression stockings on their legs to help prevent surgery. He also encourages you to get up and walk as soon after surgery as possible.

Let us know what your surgeon has to say when you see him.

I know I was told after 8 weeks with my emergency band surgery & c sections....... but my edema was so great...... that i was larger than I had been at 330 lbs....... and had problems moving! So I wore my hose and walked as much as I could...... (pain or not)

So sorry to hear about your friend.

My husband's doctor prescribed Lovenox, a blood thinner, to be given by injections for about 2 weeks after surgery to help prevent this.

Edited by kaykay

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I was told to walk walk walk. No one has mentioned blood thinners. I have never smoked, and in prev surgerys have had no problems. maybe the blood thinners are for that?

I am very interested in what the nurses have to say on this matter. I am 6 days post and now worried. but, walking.

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I was told to walk walk walk. No one has mentioned blood thinners. I have never smoked, and in prev surgerys have had no problems. maybe the blood thinners are for that?

I am very interested in what the nurses have to say on this matter. I am 6 days post and now worried. but, walking.

Carolyn,

Not all doctors give blood thinners but I did receive some post op--me being a nurse I felt more comfortable having some on board. Directly after surgery, our bodies tend to go in "defense" mode and it believes that its being harmed, hence the development of blood clots to prevent hemorrhage or bleeding to death. Even though, I received a blood thinner, when I got home I walked around my living room every 2 hours and I started exercising (brisk walking) around day 4 or so. Just keep walking, never sit for long periods without moving around (that causes stagnant blood, which causes the blood to aggregate (stick together). Also, Drink plenty of fluids. DEHYDRATION increases the risk of blood clots as well, because the less Water we drink our blood is "stickier" which causes the blood to adhere to one another- which assist in the development of clots. The more Fluid we have, blood tends to just pass through our bodies without much turbulence.

Sorry for the Pathophysiology class, I was just trying to explain the best way I could.:001_wub: Hope this helps.

For everyone's FYI purposes regarding clots:

There are two most popular places that people develop clots after surgery: legs (DVT) and lungs (PE, pulomary embolus). Usually, the clot in the lungs originated from the leg. Here are a few signs/symptoms for everyone for FYI purpose of a blood clot to the leg, also known as DVT or Deep Vein Thrombosis.

Symptoms occur in the affected leg when a clot obstructs blood flow and causes inflammation. Symptoms may include the following:

• Swelling
  • Gradual onset of pain
  • Redness
  • Warmth to the touch
  • Worsening leg pain when bending the foot
  • Leg cramps, especially at night
  • Bluish or whitish discoloration of skin

However, almost 30%-50% of individuals with deep vein thrombosis do not experience symptoms from the condition. (Hence, the development of a PE or pulmonary embolus).

Retrieved October 21, 2009 from www.emedicinehealth.com

thank you everyone for all your replys! So frustrating I went to my Appt. today and as I was walking in I got a phone call from the Nurse telling me that my Appt. would have to be cancelled and rescheduled due to my Doctor/Surgeon having an emergency Surgery......so we got back in the car and my Husband drove us back home LOL I did however speak to my OB/GYN this morning and she told me the first two weeks after surgery is when you will worry about blood clots that are related to the surgery itself....then 4-6 weeks you worry about blood clots based on your co-morbidities. She gave me the same advice...just keep walking and moving as much as possible. I had contacted my OB/GYN because she previously operated on me when I had a D&C and a endometrial ablation and I had "started" and am bleeding heavy again with clots. The clots really scared me....she told me I had nothing to worry about because the Heparin I received for 3 days is what is contributing to the heavy bleeding and clots. So I am trying to stay positive and active.

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I've had my Sleeve done....my total weight loss so far is 20 pounds. I am hoping that when I see my Doctor this Saturday...he will tell me that I can start eating something else besides broth, sugar free popsicles, and sugar free Jello LOL

mahalo nui loa once again for all the replies and advice :001_wub:

I have been experiencing numbness in my right leg. Above my knee. I try to rub it and get it going again, but, no luck so far. I am calling my Dr.

Thanks for the info. I am walking. and now I will not sit for more than 2 hours with out walking around.

Okalani, sorry, to hear about your friend. That is very tragic. I dont know if there is an exact "stop" date that you can stop worrying about clots but from personal experience (a nurse). I have seen them weeks after the procedure (like 8 weeks or so = 2months). That does not mean that the risk isnt longer or this is typical, I havent really seen that happen that much far out from that date. Of course it depends on the patient's risk factors (smoker, previous history of clots, lab work, mobility status (bed bound vs mobile), etc. So there are A LOT of factors that go into a persons risk of developing a clot. That is why I started exercising (brisk walking, etc) directly after having the VSG. That was one of my main concerns.

I hope this helps.

You were able to brisk walk directly after sugery? That is good to know if you were. Also is it a good idea to start walking now to get used to the exercise?

You were able to brisk walk directly after sugery? That is good to know if you were. Also is it a good idea to start walking now to get used to the exercise?

Yes, after days 3-4 I FELT GREAT (but everyone is different keep in mind)! I started exercising not really to "burn calories" but to get mobile and decrease the risk of clots. It would be beneficial for you to walk now, (if you are pre-op- to help to strengthen your lungs and prepare for surgery, that is always a good thing)!

I have been experiencing numbness in my right leg. Above my knee. I try to rub it and get it going again, but, no luck so far. I am calling my Dr.

Thanks for the info. I am walking. and now I will not sit for more than 2 hours with out walking around.

Carolyn,

I hope everything is okay, I would seek medical advice Immediately for a workup, its better to be safe than sorry, you know. I dont mean to scare you but I like to be on the safe side. Also, if there is a clot there, walking may make the situation worse by dislodging the clot and having it travel to the lungs via the veins. Please keep us posted!

How long has the numbness been going on? Out of curiosity.

Okalani, So sorry about your friend. Very good advice from everyone and only want to add about the DVT in the legs. I did ultrasounds on patients post op with concerns about blood clots and you can do two things also to keep your blood flowing in your legs while sitting. The calf muscle is the heart for your leg veins. Just pumping your foot up and down squeezes the blood out of your calf, also your toes moving will do the same thing. The vein walls are very thin and respond. Also deep breathing compresses the diaphragm and with the release the blood flows back to the heart. Thats why they have you blow on the little instrument in the hospital. So keep walking and if you can't, just pump your calf muscles frequently, don't crimp your knee too long and deep breaths periodically. Of course stockings or support might help. But sounds like you are able to walk just fine. The risk increases when immobile.