Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

big fills vs. little fills

There has been some discussion lately about the merrits of filling quickly and agressively, or conservatively and slowly.

Someone had the choice of getting filled agressively, or with a modest fill. She felt that she was a coward for not going with the more agressive fill. I just wanted to tell her that I think she made the correct choice.

I do not believe the band is about being restricted, but about losing weight. If you are able to lose weight on a lower fill level, then I say more power to you. Being over filled is MISERABLE. M-I-S-E-R-A-B-L-E. And I think that once you are over filled for any length of time, you need to have more of you fill removed than you would have before so that you end up less filled. Gosh, I hope that made sense.

I think one thing we forget in this journey, is to be kind to ourselves.

An Italian study said that aggressive "fills" were related to more complications...and an Austrian study says that they are not a problem and are a more efficient way to run a wls practice.

I'm not sure if Croatia has published anything lately.

hmmm, it might be more effective, but does that translate to better patient care? I wonder how many clinics are more interested in "show me the money" than good patiet care.

I am so lucky that I chose a clinic that is more interested in good patient care. They even recently added a surgeon who's experienced with Cushings!

i am with you vines!

the whole reason i went unfilled FOR A YEAR is because my dr's were to aggressive with fills. after i was to tight and had to get unfilled to let my stomach settle when i would get refilled they would put me close to or at the same level as before and i would seal off AGAIN. i was a HORRID cycle of fills and unfills.

my dr likes to be more aggressive than i want with fills. i have paid $150 a piece for SEVERAL .1 cc fills (the last 5 months) the whole while the DR is STRONGLY suggesting .3 -.4 cc's. the last fill i got he DID in fact put in .3 cc and what do you know... i am to tight! i have scheduled an appt to take out .1 cc

I am getting banded this Fri with the 10cm band. They usually offer the first fill at 4 wks and it's anywhere from 1cc to 1.5cc. Should I make an appt for a fill even before surgery so I have get a good appt time? There is the possibility I may not be ready for a fill at 4 wks right? What determines the amount they put in or would I notice much of a difference between 1cc & 1.5cc?

Looking back now, how would you handle your fills, especially your first? I would like to take the conservative side, but need help understanding what that is. O.K. I'm getting very sleepy and not sure if I'm making sense. :rolleyes Any feedback would be appreciated.

3Loves, My clinic recently said that they have some evidence that fills done too early contribute to complications.

I don't know of anyone who was ready for a fill that early, especailly since the stomach isn't healed until week 6 or 8. I would recommend that you wait until you are fully healed.

Thanks Vines ~ After reading some things on here, I'm thinking it would be beneficial to put it off as long as possible....that is if your losing (and I don't mean fast). Perhaps I should just wait until after surgery b4 scheduling my first fill. I have to coordinate with my DH's schedule, but we always manage. Wow this is really going to happen soon!!

I also think the most efficient way to run a weight loss clinic is not necessarily the way that's best for the patients. I get a strong sense that there's a lot of doctors out there in this becuase it's the "next best thing" and I would neither trust their judgement nor take their advice if it was not in accordance with what I felt was best for me.

Despite my doctor being the one who has the knowledge, I think I'm the one in the drivers seat and I will do what I think is best when I want to do it.

That said, my doc takes the slow and steady approach to fills and is very encouraging about good lifestyle changes, good nutrition and is not about fast weight loss or getting to a certain weight or size. Which suits me fine. I dont think its the least bit cowardly to avoid being too tight or even to avoid being "tight" at all, I like to use my band as a bit of an appetite suppressant, not a full on STOP sign.

Aftercare is free forever for me too courtesy of the once only $3,000 out of pocket fee I paid, which was my only expense for the surgery, my insurance paid the rest. That is to encourage people to be back for monthly checkups whether they need fills or not.

3loves, I had my first fill at about 5.5 weeks, I believe. (And, of course, I had complications but I don't think those were related issues, because things mostly went well for the first year.)

HOWEVER, I was NEVER able to handle anything more than a 1.5 cc fill (in a 4.0 cc band) fill. That simply closed off the stoma and nothing went through.

The "how much fill question" is kinda like...how much shoelace should be left over when you're done tying the knot on your cross trainers? Just enough to make the shoes be as tight as they should be. The amount of the fill is just not important. The amount of RESTRICTION is the issue, and there are only three kinds of restriction--and shoelaces--too tight, too loose and just right.

I just received my first fill yesterday 1.4cc in a 4 cc band. I AM STARVING! I have read enough posts here to know that sometimes it takes a while to feel restriction, but I hope it comes soon or I am liable to do something drastic....(like drink another Protein shake..ha ha). I can't wait until I am back on mushies!

I agree with everything you said Vines. My first fill was 2cc's, and I did have another fill after that, that was .6. A few months after my 2nd fill I started having first bite syndrome/esophogeal spasms (whatever), and in June I went for a little unfill. I still have the problem, and I wonder if it would have been better to sneak up on the fill a bit. I hardly ever get to sit down to dinner and just have dinner, I have to take a bite and wait.. or make sure there's Soup or something.

Of course, it may have happened one way or the other, but one likes to speculate, LOL.

I am getting banded this Fri with the 10cm band. They usually offer the first fill at 4 wks and it's anywhere from 1cc to 1.5cc. Should I make an appt for a fill even before surgery so I have get a good appt time? There is the possibility I may not be ready for a fill at 4 wks right? What determines the amount they put in or would I notice much of a difference between 1cc & 1.5cc?

Looking back now, how would you handle your fills, especially your first? I would like to take the conservative side, but need help understanding what that is. O.K. I'm getting very sleepy and not sure if I'm making sense. :rolleyes Any feedback would be appreciated.

My surgeon has banded well over 1000 people and refuses to give a first fill until 8 weeks post-op. He finds complete healing requires the 8 weeks and has minimal complications from this practice. I would wait until you're a few weeks post-op before scheduling your first fill.

I had my first fill about 1 week ago. I got 2cc, it was too much, yikes! I had to drink a cup of Water before leaving the office, well couldn't even sip a thimbleful without that horrible "stuck" feeling...the doctor immediately removed .75cc, what a relief. It takes time to get the right amount. I heard after about 4 fills, you'll get it right on the button, so don't rush it. Don't forget you're still swollen from surgery. I had surgery on June 18th, lost about 21 lbs so far. I'd rather take it slowly than to rush the fills..afterall Rome was not built in a day..so take care of yourself one day at a time.

Hey guys, I went for my first fill last week. I was 6 weeks post op, i was able to eat most things by this time. I have a AP band that holds 9cc, I had 5cc put in. I had to drink Water before I left and as I didn't know what tight felt like I decribe a lump in my chest, the clinic advised me to have 1cc taken out, which I did. So I happily trotted off home with 4cc in my band!!!!!! The next 24 hours where the worst of my life....... Basically I ate a protien bar on day 2 and got a blockage from hell! I ate it at 3.30pm. Within minutes of eating the bar I knew I was in trouble, I felt like I was having a heart attack. Within 30 minutes I was having reflux and slime everywhere, then I started throwing up. I carried on with pain and throwing up for 6 hours. I did phone my clinic and they explained I was experiencing a blockage. I had my coat on and was off to the hospital by 11pm when I last threw up and the pain slightly eased off, I then fell asleep! The next day I was up for 6am feeling better and set off straight to my clinic where I defilled to 1.5cc. The relieve was immediate, I'm on the side of slow but sure. I'm now experiencing very slight restriction but I'm happy with that. I never ever want to go through that again. I was just too restricted. I'm booked into my clinic on the 14th for my next fill which I'll hqave but I'm going to ask for just 1cc extra, slow and steady for me!

I had surgery Oct 17th and have lost 12 lbs. I am scheduled for my first fill in three weeks. I have a 10cc VG band and he is going to start with a 4cc fill. I sure hope it helps because for the past few days I have felt no restriction at all. The stomach has healed and is now HUNGRY!