Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Advice, Kaiser SoCal Patient.

Hello I am new to this forum so please bear with me.

I am 30 years old, male 285 lbs with a bmi of 38. I have hypertention, gerd, high cholestorol, and back and joint pain, along with depression about my weight.

I went to an appointment at Kaiser Permanente here is San Diego today and asked my doctor about LapBand and Sleeve. She didnt seem to know much about either or maybe did not want to talk to me about the details which really made me angry, but she did say that it might be a good choice for me. This was after she told me of the positive choice program and other options.

I have had problems with weight and dieting does not help. I have been on medifast and HMR while supervised with my old doctor through insurance at a previous job.

Anyway after she referred me for what she called bariatric evaluation and gave me a number I called them. They are sending me a packet and want me to come to a meeting held each monday.

Here are my questions for you guys. My doctor did not say if they support the sleeve, she just said gastric bypass. Also I really dont want to have to go through 6 months of a supervised diet. I have no problem with waiting or waiting 6 months to do the classes for the surgery.

Anyone have Kaiser in Southern California? Specifically San Diego? I could really use some support and advice.

Thank you.

Hi, Chargers;

I was/am a kaiser patient, and I have been very happy with my experience overall.

I am up in the L.A. area. As a rule, kaiser does promote the Bypass as opposed to the other procedures.

I wouldn't be too upset that you PCP doesn't know that much about WLS. Many of them don't, and it really is a specialty area.

Also, don't be too upset about having to do the 6-month diet. It's terrific training for your new lifestyle, whatever procedure that might be. It's not bad thing.

Also, don't discount the Bypass as a possibility. The band (restriction) did NOT work for me. The Bypass (malabsorbtion) did, and very, very well.

Don't go into the process having already decided what you want/need. Listen to all that they have to say. I made a wrong decision the first time out; I wish i had those years back.

HH

Hello I am new to this forum so please bear with me.

I am 30 years old, male 285 lbs with a bmi of 38. I have hypertention, gerd, high cholestorol, and back and joint pain, along with depression about my weight.

I went to an appointment at Kaiser Permanente here is San Diego today and asked my doctor about LapBand and Sleeve. She didnt seem to know much about either or maybe did not want to talk to me about the details which really made me angry, but she did say that it might be a good choice for me. This was after she told me of the positive choice program and other options.

I have had problems with weight and dieting does not help. I have been on medifast and HMR while supervised with my old doctor through insurance at a previous job.

Anyway after she referred me for what she called bariatric evaluation and gave me a number I called them. They are sending me a packet and want me to come to a meeting held each monday.

Here are my questions for you guys. My doctor did not say if they support the sleeve, she just said gastric bypass. Also I really dont want to have to go through 6 months of a supervised diet. I have no problem with waiting or waiting 6 months to do the classes for the surgery.

Anyone have Kaiser in Southern California? Specifically San Diego? I could really use some support and advice.

Thank you.

Chargers56,

I am a Kaiser pt here in Los Angeles. I went through the 6 month classes through Baldwin Park Kaiser. They request that you lose 10% of your weight by the time you finish the class. Kaiser does do the RNY/Sleeve and Band. They discourage the band though, because there are problems that are arising for the long term pts. But they still do it. I am actually going to my consultation today (09/21/09). I was going to get the band originaly but have now changed my mind and will be asking to get the sleeve. I have heard of some SD pts that are coming down to South bay Kaiser to get the sleeve. Just go through the process you wont regret it. It does take time ... good luck :scared0:

Hi, Chargers;

I was/am a kaiser patient, and I have been very happy with my experience overall.

I am up in the L.A. area. As a rule, kaiser does promote the Bypass as opposed to the other procedures.

I wouldn't be too upset that you PCP doesn't know that much about WLS. Many of them don't, and it really is a specialty area.

Also, don't be too upset about having to do the 6-month diet. It's terrific training for your new lifestyle, whatever procedure that might be. It's not bad thing.

Also, don't discount the Bypass as a possibility. The band (restriction) did NOT work for me. The Bypass (malabsorbtion) did, and very, very well.

Don't go into the process having already decided what you want/need. Listen to all that they have to say. I made a wrong decision the first time out; I wish i had those years back.

HH

Thanks for the responses, I have done lots of research on both the Band and the Sleeve. I was originally sold on the band, but after thinking about having to live the rest of my life with this thing in me I started to change my mind. I know myself and I know I would worry all the time about it slipping and eroding and I just don't want that. And the chances of something happening over the next 30 + years is almost a certainty.

I really like the sleeve and im leaning toward that, even though they haven't studied its long term effects for very long.

I personally don't think I would do the RNY, I don't like the idea of changing my anatomy that much.

I do have some other questions about the sleeve. Is leakage a problem only right after surgery? Or can they develop throughout your lifetime? Also what about MRIs with the staples? My only other real concern is that it is not reversible, but I think I could live with a smaller stomach.

I'm not a Kaiser patient, but I can help with some of your other questions.

I had the band and revised to the sleeve after 8 short months due to a flipped port causing all kinds of problems. I don't believe the band is reversible. Once it's sewn in there, it's forever changed your anatomy. In my case, it destroyed my stomach tissue. I am unsure of any details on the MRI. I have titanium staples in my knee, and have been able to have MRIs.

Gastrectomies (partial and there are cases of people living with absolutely no stomach) have been performed for decades. Especially for patients with stomach cancer, and/or horrible ulcers. It's only a "new" procedure for weight loss surgery, and even then it's not completely "new" anymore. There are some members on obesity help that have been several years out with great results.

Leaks are most likely to occur during the healing process which I believe is within the first 3 months.

Welcome to the forum, and ask away. Hopefully, someone can help with the Kaiser portion of your questions.

Tiffykins is correct. People who have the band blather on about how "reversible" it is. Removable, yes. reversible, not really. It DOES change your anatomy. Kind of like when a car sits in one spot for several years. The tires are changed, AND the ground is changed.

Also, even though the band can be removed, very often the problem that required the removal of the band cannot be easily resolved, such as erosion.

So, while it works wonders for many people, it does some nasty things to others.

I DO have to caution the OP, though....you HAVE to make sure that restriction is what you need. The various Weight Loss Surgeries are not always interchangeable. It's not as much a choice you make, as it is picking the RIGHT procedure for YOUR need. If you are a person who actually eats very little and still puts on weight or cannot lose, then the band or sleeve won't do much at all for you.

So DON'T rule out bypass or DS UNTIL you have spoken to the Bariatric Doctors. If you have a band or a sleeve when you actually really need a malasorbtive procedure, that is kind of like having your Gall Bladder removed when your appendix is flaring up.

HH

Thanks for the input. I am not the kind of person that just eats Snacks here and there. I tend to eat way too much.

I am very very frustrated with the lack of information I am able to find on Kaiser Permanete in San Diego. Its almost like there is no information available at all on what they offer. And it doesn't look like many people have discussed their experience online at all from my fruitless searches on google.

I have been lurking on this site for some time now but hadn't joined up yet until today when I did a search for the very same question that Charger56 is wanting to find out. I too have Kaiser Permanente. I live near Palm Springs and have my orientation in Corona on Oct. 19. After originally wanting the band and then doing much research I have decided I want the VSG. I refuse to have a malabsorbing surgery and the band seems to be too much after care and running around all over the place to have fills, etc.

Yesterday I called Kaiser Member Services just to find out if Kaiser even DOES the VSG. Seemed like a simple question... You'd think they'd at least know if they did or didn't... After speaking to 5 different people at different departments and no body I spoke to had even HEARD of the procedure much less could confirm if the procedure would even be covered, I was so frustrated. I'm so glad I found this thread! Thanks for the information that Kaiser does indeed perform the procedure.

If any one has additional information about this on the specifics where and who performs this, I'd very much appreciate it as well. I feel like I know you all since I've been reading your posts for a while. Best wishes to everyone on their journeys!

Holly

I have been lurking on this site for some time now but hadn't joined up yet until today when I did a search for the very same question that Charger56 is wanting to find out. I too have Kaiser Permanente. I live near Palm Springs and have my orientation in Corona on Oct. 19. After originally wanting the band and then doing much research I have decided I want the VSG. I refuse to have a malabsorbing surgery and the band seems to be too much after care and running around all over the place to have fills, etc.

Yesterday I called Kaiser Member Services just to find out if Kaiser even DOES the VSG. Seemed like a simple question... You'd think they'd at least know if they did or didn't... After speaking to 5 different people at different departments and no body I spoke to had even HEARD of the procedure much less could confirm if the procedure would even be covered, I was so frustrated. I'm so glad I found this thread! Thanks for the information that Kaiser does indeed perform the procedure.

If any one has additional information about this on the specifics where and who performs this, I'd very much appreciate it as well. I feel like I know you all since I've been reading your posts for a while. Best wishes to everyone on their journeys!

Holly

Holly,

The people that do the surgeries are Kaiser Weat LA, Kaiser Harbor City and Kaiser in the Valley .. I cant recall the name at this moment. Basically any Kaiser Panorama City. They used to consult out to UCLA and Pacific Bariatrics in San Diego ... I dont think they do anymore. Hope this helps

Can anyone refer a doctor for Kaiser Permanente? My daughter is starting her classes soon she will be going to classes in Palmdale. Not sure what doctor will be doing her surgery yet. Any suggestions on doctors. I appreciate any referrals.

Janice

Hope I'm not too late. Harbor City Kaiser is a bariatric center of excellence, only 200 hospitals nationwide have a bariatric center of excellence (there are over 200 hospitals in CA alone). Check into it! I hear Dr. Zane is one of the best.

I highly recommend Dr. Zane! He's the best!