Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things are working out

Last weekend I was bummed because the word had gotten out that I was having WLS and I wasnt ready to tell people. But things are working out-- EVERYONE is being soooo supportive. One girlfriend, who works out all the time is taking on the role of my personal trainer. Another girlfriend who loves to shop at consignment stores and yard sales has labelled herself as my clothes designer as I loose weight. They all want a role in helping me to be successful!

Since i was whining last weekend just thought I would share the good news. I am fortunate to be surrounded by lots of support--- support that I wouldn't have had if I kept my WLS to myself.:thumbup1:

What a great team of support! You are a very lucky lady to have such friends. You're going to do great!

I'm glad your friends are being supportive!! I knew they would!

I didn;t keep my weight loss a secret- I didn't tell anyone until it was over- and everything was ok- But I have had nothing but support and kind words of encouragement!

I kept thinking of Star Jones- how she said she lost all that weight thru pallates!! LOL We all know thats a lie!

True, that was so disappointing that Star could not be truthful, it would have helped so many. I have not told anyone except my family. When they start asking at work, I don't know what to say..because I feel it's personal and I don't like being judged regarding my weight. I have had *diet police* my whole life and people who immediately want to compete and beat me as soon as they know I am losing weight. At my last job, a gal had an RnY and it cured her diabetes and she looks fabulous, but still, people say, oh she had WLS, even two years out. I guess people will be people, and eventually it will settle down, and they will move on to talk about other things. Don't they understand how difficult this whole this is? It is not a magic pill, and if you don't follow your surgeon's plan, this might not work either. We all know that now.

I guess I need to figure this part out. I can tell them in private, and just say that I don't want them to share with anybody..I don't know. Even my family didn't think I was big enough, cause my BMI was 39. Well, that already seems judgmental. But, we do what we know in our heart is right, and I knew the VSG was the right thing for me.

Edited by Steph_123

The only problem I find now is people tell me not to get too small. How much more weight are you going to lose? you don't need to lose more... You don't need to get sickly looking... etc.

My answer to that is... all you have known me as is BIG... you didn't ever know me "thin".... I worked where I am for 12 years, and have been heavy the whole time... but worse the past 5 years!

I am still considered 'obese'- My goal is 160lbs- to be "normal"

I also decided to tell everyone because I didn't want "rumors" to fly- that I might be sick etc. losing weight that fast. I just faced my demons- admitted I had a problem with food and drastic times called for drastic measures. Just like an alcoholic- I have a food problem, and needed to face it head on.

I do hate having to admit how bad I let myself go- but I have support there too... people are reasureing me that I did what I had to do to get back some control in my life. Not to look back at the past-but to the future of being healthy and at least I did SOMETHINg- It's just hard to face....That I could let myself get that bad........

It is strange how my body has changed thru all this... I am 211 lbs now.... and can fit a size 14 pants! What will I be in at 160? It baffles me. It baffles me that people say I look good- I am still obese-not overweight-OBESE.

You hear the words "skinny"-"sexy" etc... I KNOW they aren't talking about ME! Lots of demons I still have to face......

Well at work for the people who don't know me real well- my plan was to say I was having "female surgery" --That wouldn't be lying- they are operating on my female stomach, Plus not many people will ask details about "female surgery"....lol. But I ended up just saying I was having a little surgery done and no one ever asked anything else

One gal did ask, I had just gotten back that day, and told her I had a hernia repair, which was true, they did repair my hernia and did a VG too. I just wasn't ready to come clean, cause I still wasn't sure I would succeed at this whole thing. I still have 65 lbs to go, so it still feels so far away.

And, Chancie, about the whole "don't get too skinny" thing, my sister told me "We will tell you when you when you get too skinny" Like hell she will, I told her, when she says that, I am looking forward to that day, because I still know that I will have more weight to lose! haha! She just got embarrassed..teehee

Chancie, just follow your heart, you do look fabulous, and you must feel fabulous too. If the rest doesn't come off as fast, so be it, just keep doing what your doing and go for it! My old coworker who got the RnY, she is 5'9" and is in a 10/12 now, for about 2 yrs now. She looks fantastic and her whole outlook on life is so much happier, healthier. Cheers to you Chancie, you are doing great!