Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflections from a Fat Chick

I have a hard time knowing when to stop. I can't go by how full I feel. I had a half a piece of pizza, but just the toppings and one chicken wing yesterday. I didn't feel full, but I knew it was time to stop. Then half an hour, I felt over stuffed. I have realized that I need to stop before I feel full.

I'll be 3 months out soon. I can drink as much as I want at one time. I drink

24 oz of Water before I go to work in the morning. That takes probably 10 minutes at the most. I seem to be thirsty when I get up.

Edited by Oregondaisy

I have a hard time knowing when to stop. I can't go by how full I feel. I had a half a piece of pizza, but just the toppings and one chicken wing yesterday. I didn't feel full, but I knew it was time to stop. Then half an hour, I felt over stuffed. I have realized that I need to stop before I feel full.

I'll be 3 months out soon. I can drink as much as I want at one time. I drink 24 oz of Water before I go to work in the morning. That takes probably 10 minutes at the most. I seem to be thirsty when I get up.

I do well to get down 1/2 a cup of coffee in the morning - then when I get to work, I make a hot tea and I usually drink about 1/2 of it - but it takes me about an hour each time -- I guess if all I did was sit with my cup I could drink more at one time. After that I switch to ice cubes and Water and try to get in a V8 or Ensure before lunch. If I try to eat anything before about noon, I get stuck -- generally by lunch time I'm able to eat something moist - like tuna or Soup. After lunch, I go back to ice cubes and water and try to finish the Ensure if I haven't done so already. Generally by dinner time I am able to eat a little more than at lunch and I try to get in a few more liquids with ice cubes, water or SF popsicles. I have noticed in the past week that I am able to take a little bit bigger swallow than I have been before and am able to eat a little more (generally at dinnertime) than in the past -- so each week is getting better. I do have the spasms still; however, it seems that if I stick to warm in the morning, it doesn't seem to bother me as much during the rest of the day -- how weird, but so true.

Hang in there Skinny -- patience is the key in this journey I am finding.

Welcome, Rose! Thanks for sharing your story. Do you have a surgery date yet? I'm still pre-op...awaiting July 7 for my VSG. I call it "my Independence day"! I'll Celebrate my independence from obesity. :smile1:

Jenn-

Funny that you call it your Independence Day! Me too!

xo

Independence Day :)

ps - How's it going with your mushies?

The more I hear about folks having so many problems with reflux, nausea, vomitting and other gastric type issues the more grateful I am for how uneventful my surgery and recovery were.

I have had zero problems with any of those things and was pretty much able to drink with no issues early on and progressed through the different stages easily.

I am not the most patient human on the planet and am not sure I would have handled these problems as well as most of you seem to be handling them.

If I were many months or years out and still took 45 minutes to eat 4 oz I would be seriously annoyed but many of you seem to take this in stride and as a normal part your surgery/recovery journey.

Patience must be the key. I just had about 1/8 cup cream of Tomato Soup and now I am nauseated. I am having an awful time with food right now. It's very frustrating. I'm beginning to not want to eat. This doesnt sound good. One day at a time I guess.

I totally understand that feeling -- it's getting better for me though and I am sure it will for you too ... just keep at it - eat what you can when you can.

I went to the fair today and had beef teriyaki on a stick. I was very happy I was able to eat it and not get too full or start sliming or foaming. I think I am finally getting the hang of eating solids.

I feel really bad for all of you that are having so much trouble eating and drinking. I would go nuts.

I went to the fair today and had beef teriyaki on a stick. I was very happy I was able to eat it and not get too full or start sliming or foaming. I think I am finally getting the hang of eating solids.

That's great Daisy -- I hope you have finally figured it out.

I feel really bad for all of you that are having so much trouble eating and drinking. I would go nuts.

Yeah, it bites big time. I want to be to the point that I can tell someone they're going to love having their sleeve ... so far, I can't say those words because I don't feel that way myself. I hope the day comes when I do feel that way and I hope it is sooner than later.

It really and truly does get better guys! At nearly four months out, I have very few, if any problems and absolutely love mine. The key is listening to your body. Stop eating when you are no longer hungry, don't wait until you have that full feeling because you will probably end up being uncomfortable later.

It really and truly does get better guys! At nearly four months out, I have very few, if any problems and absolutely love mine. The key is listening to your body. Stop eating when you are no longer hungry, don't wait until you have that full feeling because you will probably end up being uncomfortable later.

I am 3 1/2 months post sleeve and I have had NO problems with eating or getting my fluids in; however, sometimes I miss food. Example...We were out with another couple Saturday and it just hit me all of a sudden as to how much I missed eating and enjoying food. I can only eat 2 oz of hard Protein and then maybe 1/2 cup steamed veggies at a meal. I had ordered a side of crab stuffed shrimp and ate 2 of the 4 and was "at my full". I got real teary and had to have a private talk with myself.

I know and believe all the... this is what I HAD to do to live and get my health back, I love having lost 65 # in 3 months, I enjoy the conversation when eating with others, I can eat 2 oz of anything that I want except maybe some beef etc, etc BUT I do miss food terribly. I know is a mental thing however it hurts. Carol

In the beginning hot did go down easier. It must relax the muscles. Hang in there. It gets better. Now I can drink normally except for the Protein Drinks which take a lot longer to get down.

I can sooo totally relate to that feeling. I was/am such a foodie and I am grieving the loss of being able to eat and taste as much as I want. It is most definitely a mind thing. I just keep telling myself that I can have more, just not right now. Sometimes that works but seriously sometimes I just want a couple more bites when my stomach says NO. It just comes down to acceptance of my choice and what is more important to me. Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.

I do get frustrated when I'm eating something that will do me good because it contains so much Protein. I fixed 1/2 of a small filet last night and could only eat 1/2 of it.

I tried tuna salad for lunch again. It was such a staple on my presurgery diet and suffered for hours after that. It looks as though that is off of my list for a good long time to come.

There are lots of frustrations with this surgery, but I keep hearing that it gets better.

All of you amaze me. I just wanted to say that. You have so much strength to eat a few bites and be done.

I can understand the loss feeling. When I quit smoking I felt the same way. I have no idea if this will be the same or not but I know the feeling of longing for a cig went away. I have a feeling this will be the same for many in this thread for food.