Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflections from a Fat Chick

Rosey, glad to hear you are doing well, and the rest of our recent post-ops seem to be as well. I felt really weak while on the Clear Liquids too, but you should notice a big difference once you are able to move to full liquids. Getting the Protein in is tough, in fact, I found it impossible until I moved to mushies.

My husband said he sees that I've lost weight through my face. That made me happy, but honestly, I don't see anything. I know the numbers are going down on the scale, but I still don't feel or see anything different. How long did it take for anyone else out there to see or feel a difference in your weight loss?

I am the same as you, but my husband says oh-so-nice things like "your belly doesn't stick out as much in the front" instead of, "hey, you look nice!" HAHAHAHA! He's a dork. Anyway, I just got back from church and everyone says they can tell, but I can't. I did put on a blouse this morning and could definitely tell in the way it fit, but when I look in the mirror, I can't tell a thing!

It took me about 30 lbs before my clothes were falling off of me so badly that I had no choice but to get some new ones. The

new clothes made a difference. The ones I was wearing were to baggy, you couldn't see the loss.

I don't see a difference when I look in the mirror or at pictures - I can tell in that I can wear certain clothes that I hadn't been able to before -- Bob says he can tell and people at work have commented -- however, at 30 lbs., I just don't see it yet.

I didn't want to buy new clothes until I absolutely had to. Once I started wearing clothes that weren't falling off of me, I got comments nearly every day. It's hard though, to wear more form fitting clothes.When you're fat, you're so used to wearing loose, long, baggy things trying to cover it all up.

Edited by Oregondaisy

The people who see me everyday haven't commented a whole lot. Some have noted that my clothes are getting pretty loose and it is time to go down a few sizes. However, people that haven't seen me in a few months are now really starting to notice, a few of them have done a double take when they saw me, which I like!

:confused: Hi everyone, its been about 2 weeks and 3 days. I have been feeling much better energy wise. Yesterday I was able to walk around and do errands without feeling like I was going to faint. I've been on thick liquids and have been drinking the Premier Protein shake from costco. It tastes pretty good and has 30 grams of Protein in only 11oz. I also had some potato Soup at Marie Calendars :smile1:. I only ordered a cup, ate about half, and was stuffed! I do need to do better on liquids though. I find myself wanting to gulp down Water and I get the pain in between my chest from drinking too much, too fast :eek:. I also had a bite of some refried Beans. I chewed it really really well and swallowed sloly. It went down okay.

Rose, glad to hear you are starting to get your energy back and feel well again. I had a hard time getting used to taking tiny sips of Water too. But, you will find as time goes on, you are able to take a bit larger drinks than what you are now, and it will be much more satisfying.

Hey Rosie!

Glad to hear youre feeling better. I'm in the same boat. I really want to gulp the Water to quench my thirst, but I,too, get that pain. I wonder if we'll ever be able to quench our thirst?! Full liquids have been much better, but I still cant get the Protein in. Only a few more days till mushies...I can't wait! It still amazes me at how little I can eat. Many times I have overeaten and gotten nauseas. I have to learn to stop before I get full. It takes hours to feel better if I don't. Do you guys have the same problem?

Hey Rosie!

Glad to hear youre feeling better. I'm in the same boat. I really want to gulp the Water to quench my thirst, but I,too, get that pain. I wonder if we'll ever be able to quench our thirst?! Full liquids have been much better, but I still cant get the Protein in. Only a few more days till mushies...I can't wait! It still amazes me at how little I can eat. Many times I have overeaten and gotten nauseas. I have to learn to stop before I get full. It takes hours to feel better if I don't. Do you guys have the same problem?

I still can't gulp, although I can take a bigger sip than in the beginning without getting the pain in the chest -- and I'm 6 weeks out ... I am getting better at listening to my body and stopping when I am full. I still have a hard time getting in my Protein, but I'm doing better every day.

I know what you mean, though, about not being able to quench your thirst -- I don't like that -- I've found if I suck on ice cubes it helps as opposed to trying to drink enough to quench it -- if that makes sense.

Yea, at work I always keep a cup of crushed ice. It helps some. How do you know when you have had enough to eat BEFORE you get that pain, or nausea...cause I havent figured it out yet. And I'm getting afraid to eat for fear of the pain. Is one or two tablespoons enough? Thats about all I can tolerate.

I really don't have a problem with not being able to gulp liquids but my issue is that I cannot do cold. If I take a drink of anything with ice I get spasms like when you eat ice cream to fast. Room temp Water etc is kinda blah. I am able to get minimun of 64 oz in tho. Usually is in the 80 or 90 ounces range. carol

Yea, at work I always keep a cup of crushed ice. It helps some. How do you know when you have had enough to eat BEFORE you get that pain, or nausea...cause I havent figured it out yet. And I'm getting afraid to eat for fear of the pain. Is one or two tablespoons enough? Thats about all I can tolerate.

Given that you're 2 weeks out, I think that is about what I was eating at that time too. Now I'm up to about 1-1/2 oz. The feeling I get that tells me I'm full is not pain, just a pressure in my chest - right about where Dr. Campos said I was spasming ... if I eat one more bite, I am either in pain, or I throw up. Early on, I would get the hiccups - however, that doesn't happen anymore.