Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflections from a Fat Chick

My surgery is coming up! July 10! I am excited and scared. I know all the emotions I'm going through are normal. Thank you all for your support.

I started my pre-op diet Wednesday. I hate to whine, but its been soooo hard for me. Maybe for others, this diet would be okay because its a high protein/ and only 30 grams of carbs a day. But for me, its hard!! I'm a carb addict, I don't like meat or fish, I gag on eggs. So I've literally been forcing myself to eat, and I havnt eaten much at all these past four days. (I better have lost some weight).

Let me tell you, I've been grumpy (poor hubby) and ready to tackle someone for a burrito or bread. Listen to me! Isn't it something how food affects me. Its like a drug and I'm going through withrawal symtoms.

But I am very proud of myself. I've been loyal and determined and have stayed on program. I think the 30 days of liquid will be hard too, but at least I can have milk after the first week or so. I love milk.

Anyhow, I'm getting all the last minute things in order before I take another step to the new me on Thursday!

I don't eat eggs, beef, lamb, or pork either. What about some lean deli turkey in a lettuce leaf? You can have low carb cheeses and bacon. I love fish and live on that. Don't worry, you will get through this and you're date is almost here.

[quote I still struggle with chronic depression and am on medication for bipolar disorder.

I am a very blessed person. There are so many things in my life to give thanks for. My husband loves ME the WAY I am, and the more I hate myself, the more he loves me! blessed with a job I LOVE (teaching K-8 music education),I am the mother of four goofy dogs. Things are going so great for me, yet, there has always been that one thing that has been like a dark cloud over my head- and that is my weight problem. Sometimes I feel so guilty for allowing myself to be sad over my self-image when I have so many good things in my life.

I want to go hiking with my husband or travel places and not feel ashamed in my own skin. I want to break the obese curse of my family and not be "the fatty" anymore.

Rose

From one fat chick to another-welcome!

I relate to your story and have days that I think I'm kidding myself that the sleeve will work for me. I am so glad to see that you are going for it at 24. I will be 50 before I get there but hope to find the financing within the next 6 months. My sleeve will be my birthday present to myself. I want my life back. I want to reverse my diabetes, sleep apnea, joint problems and maybe even go on a date for the first time in my life:001_wub: Congrats on having a wonderful hubby. Take the dogs for a romp and stick to your pre-op diet. You are gonna make it. Keep posting!

Rose, I am so happy for you. It is wonderful that you are able to do something about this battle at your age and be able to look forward to a healthier rest of your life. I have been fat since I was 20 years old. I have always been embarrassed about how I look, which resulted in me being a very withdrawn person. Many probably think I am anti social, it is not that so much, but like you said, not being comfortable in my own skin. If I had had the opportunity to have this done in my twenties, I would have jumped on it in a heart beat.

I am sure you will do wonderfully. We will all be thinking about you.

I dont know if it is just the Women in our age group...

(mid to late 20's )

but, I have read ALOT of similar stories..... including mine.

Got married in early 20's.... weight was fine, then KABLAM!

Grown Up DUTIES!

Depresion kicks in, anxiety, sadness, over-eating, and weight gain, sadness.

Having kids just adds to all of it!

Life is just a HUGE battle. I dont know if it is that we expected married life to be different or we are just exagerating, but it is soooooo hard to deal with daily issues especialy with all this extra weight.

I am not the best person to give advice, but I sure can listen (or read) lol

I am very proud of Women Our age to take control of our lives NOW.

:thumbup:Good for you!

This will really be a NEW BEGINING for our Generation....

watch you will see!

I wish you the best on your journey and Thanx for sharing your story!

(its relieving to hear I am not alone)

I got married the first time one month before turning 19. By twenty, I was fat. My first husband completely changed after we got married. He immediately started not coming home at night until 11:00 and was either fishing or golfing both days on the weekend. It got worse once we had kids. So, I made myself feel better by eating, eating and eating some more. I should have just kicked his butt out the door and saved myself all the weight gain. But, I can't say I have any regrets, because I did get two great kids out of the marriage.

I am glad to see so many young people getting their sleeve surgery and will spend their lives thin. I was not fat in h.s. but as soon as I had kids, I was never able to lose the weight. I also wish I had done this years ago.

If I could have had this surgery 40 years ago, my life would have been so much easier. Good for you for attacking it young.

Well, tomorrow is the BIG day.I'm traveling to San Diego today and being taken to Mexicali from there. Tomorrow I will go under the knife. Please pray for me and send out good thoughts; I'm scared, but releaved that I will finally have help to control my obesity.

I've been on a high- Protein diet since last Wednesday (yuke). But I've lost about 10 pounds! I'm sure most of that was Water weight. Still, yey!

Well, I'll touch base with you all when I get back next week.

Well, tomorrow is the BIG day.I'm traveling to San Diego today and being taken to Mexicali from there. Tomorrow I will go under the knife. Please pray for me and send out good thoughts; I'm scared, but releaved that I will finally have help to control my obesity.

I've been on a high- Protein diet since last Wednesday (yuke). But I've lost about 10 pounds! I'm sure most of that was Water weight. Still, yey!

10 lbs is great - and 10 lbs. less that you now need to lose following your WLS.

We will be there tomorrow too -- Bearded for his pre-tests and me for a GI. We will look you up .... I will just stand in the middle of the wing and holler "ROSEY"!!!!! and wait for you to respond. Look for Eyfura and her sister too -- her sister is having surgery today. There will be several of us from the site there so it will be nice to meet everyone in real time!

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and ask God to guide Dr. Aceves' hand for a successful surgery -- you'll be back in your room before you know it!

Good luck with your surgery, I pray that it is uneventful and that you will loose all the weight you want and bring out the "sexiness" that you desire! LOL. Seriously, I will in your shoes in a few months and I am nervous but as i am in my 20s as well and I am currently engaged, I cannot continue to live like this. I know that this is the right decision, if I could do it on my own kept my weight off a long time ago. I mean, who doesnt want to be thin for prom? LOL

Take Care & Keep us posted

Good luck, Rosey. My date is August 10th, so please post ASAP and let us know how you're doing and how you feel. Thanks:biggrin0:

Rosey, I am wishing you all the best for tomorrow. I am so excited to see how many of you are being sleeved in the next few days. I was sleeved the day after Elisabethsew. When I got to the hospital, I just asked the staff what room she was in and they pointed me in her direction. Unfortunately, I didn't get to visit with her much, because all I want to do is sleep for about a week anytime I have surgery. You will all have fun chatting with each other, I am sure.

That is what I did -- actually -- looked at the charts and found what room she was in and knocked on her door and said "Hi I'm VegasAngel" and she was happy to see me -- then I walked into her room and said "Hi DAD - what do you think so far?" (Her dad was hesitant about her having surgery in Mexico). He told me thus far he'd been very impressed. Rosey was waiting to have her surgery when I was there so I will be sure to check in on her tomorrow ... the wing is full ... Yolanda wasn't sure where she was going to put Bearded for his surgery -- think she decided on Room 26 ... hopefully we'll have good internet connection there -- Rosey and I took a pic and will post it when I can. (I think "dad" might have thought I was a bit crazy!) :biggrin0:

I am really looking forward to seeing the pictures!

we have a very similar history. i am happy for you and hope your surgery went well. we will all help each other to make all of our issues history and have a great healthy happy future.