Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All

I've only just found this corner or vertical sleeve talk but wanted to say a big Hello:biggrin0: to all fellow Brits.

I'm in Prestatyn north wales and had my surgery in Manchester on 23rd January 2010 with Dr Ammori.

I'm doing ok so far, I've lost two stone already so I must be doing something right!

love to all

Sandra x

Hey Cherry/Sandra

2 stone, well done you. I only managed to find this corner about 10 minutes ago. Nice to see i'm not the only Brit on here lol.

Hi Nicola and welcome.

I too heard nothing about any hair until reading it on the forum. To be honest I'm not too concerned but then I am a man and it can be easier to cover up so I can understand how you may be concerned. I have read that in most cases, Hair loss is only a short term thing and people do regrow lost hair.

It does sound like the hospital was a little underprepaired for you aftercare but I'm glad to hear that all went well.

Take care and keep us updated.

Matt

Hi everyone

My name is Michelle and I am due to be sleeved on the 26th May 2010. I was one of the lucky ones and have obtained the funding from the NHS for this. My operation will be in Luton hospital under Mr Jain, whom has a great reputation. I'm really hoping that he lives up to it!!! :biggrin0:

I was excited to find the UK branch of this group and would love to hear from you all.

Michelle x

Hello UK Sleevers!

I am you neighbour from Dublin.

I just want to introduce myself as I am researching the prospect of getting VSG. I am at a very early stage in the game yet. I have a BMI of 35 with some co-morbidities (problems with joints) and a bad family history of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and stroke although I have not developed these problems myself yet.

I live in Dublin and will probably be travelling over to England or perhaps Wales for the surgery. I am also hearing very good reports about Belgium and it is also much cheaper there.

I will be attending my initial screening with a dietician and psychologist next week and may be rejected as I am just about borderline!

I posted a message on the Ireland site but had no replies from any Irish yet. This VSG is so new here, most seem to be going for gastric banding.

Would love to keep in touch with you here,

Bookleen

Hey Cherry/Sandra

2 stone, well done you. I only managed to find this corner about 10 minutes ago. Nice to see i'm not the only Brit on here lol.

Hi Nicola and all fellow UK sleevers.

I'm so pleased to see how well we're all doing. I'm nine weeks out now and have lost about 38lbs which I'm really pleased about.

love to all

Sandra x

Hi to you all

I'm an Ex Pat living in Spain - (we've been out here for 7 yrs now) so this UK part of the forum was the nearest I could find for me!

I'm currently 94kg, BMI 34.9, and have always struggled with being overweight, luckily no complications from it tho. Heaviest was 105kg about 5 yrs back now.

I'm a self pay, op just waiting to be scheduled, probably around early June as I need to come back to the UK end of May for my nieces wedding, and don't fancy having it done before then just in case of complications.

I did look into prices in the UK and also Czech republic and Belgium, but in the end felt more comfortable having it done nearer to home.

I find the forum excellent, but struggle when looking for hints on the dietary needs/protein drinks etc due to all the US products, so thought at least if I can find some UK stuff then I can get it via the web.

Congrats on all of you ready sleeved..... looking forward to joining you soon!!!

Kathy

Hi Everyone,

I am back on your board again!

Although I am not from the UK, I also identify with you all, and would like to join you here?

I am still pre-op and have been reading this forum and trying to get myself ready for surgery. I like to know what to expect and believe I can handle things better when there are no big surprises!

Since most of the posts are from the US, their brand names and often food choices are different from ours.

I am particularly interested in hearing what post-op medication you are all taking. I believe it is important to take an antacid and also something to prevent gallstones. What are the trade names of your medication?

Also, would you advise any shopping or special preparations I need to make or do to ensure my post-op homecoming runs smoothly?

Would love to hear from you all.

Regards,

Bookleen

Hi Everyone,

I am back on your board again!

Although I am not from the UK, I also identify with you all, and would like to join you here?

I am still pre-op and have been reading this forum and trying to get myself ready for surgery. I like to know what to expect and believe I can handle things better when there are no big surprises!

Since most of the posts are from the US, their brand names and often food choices are different from ours.

I am particularly interested in hearing what post-op medication you are all taking. I believe it is important to take an antacid and also something to prevent gallstones. What are the trade names of your medication?

Also, would you advise any shopping or special preparations I need to make or do to ensure my post-op homecoming runs smoothly?

Would love to hear from you all.

Regards,

Bookleen

Hi Bookleen,

you are very welcome here, we are close neighbours after all on these little western European islands after all

My anti acid is a PPI, proton pump inhibitor, called Lansoprazole. I started on 30mg a day, now I take 1 15mg a day, still trying to wean myself off. When you reduce the acid in your stomach it means that you can get deficient in Calcium so you need to take a supplement, and it has to be as calcium citrate, not Calcium carbonate. I take Solgar calcium citrate with Vitamin D, 240 tablets for ?23.29 from The UK Health Store :: Providing Top Quality Nutrition supplements to Enhance Your Total Health and Well-being

I also take Milk Thistle 3000mg 360 for ?17.99 and Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) 1000mg 120 for ?16.99 both from Quality Glucosamine, Omega 3, Cod Liver Oil and Vitamins - Simply Supplements

The milk thistle is because I drink alcohol and was told to take it before my op to improve my liver, so I decided to keep that one up afterwards, and the CLA because its supposed to help you maintain muscle mass rather than fat at the dosage of 4000mg a day.

Apart from that I take a Boots own brand A-Z one a day Multivitamin just to be on the safe side. And I nearly forgot, I take 1200mg of collagen plus from Quality Glucosamine, Omega 3, Cod Liver Oil and Vitamins - Simply Supplements at bed time when I remember, to try to prop up my aging skin as it struggles to re-adjust to the new frame size. I chose this one as it is totally marine sourced, I didn't fancy the BSE possibilities of cattle skin sourced collagen.

I don't take anything to prevent gall stones and I did experience some pain attacks which I thought were stones but ultrasound showed nothing there and they have stopped now. I am feeling very well actually. But I am now 11 months out so the real hard work of healing and losing fast is behind me and I can now concentrate on enjoying the rest of my life, thank God.

Re post op, get the Protein shakes in, remember scrambled eggs are nice mushy food options and don't expect to be eating very much at all for the 1st few weeks. You won't feel hungry so it won't be hard. be nice to yourself in other ways, like treat yourself to good films, books, skin creams etc, as you will be saving shed loads on the food bills. Expect to feel wiped out by the op as its a full general anaesthetic and the effects can persist for a month.

I hope this helps you. Do you have a date yet and where are you getting it done?

I have a friend, Ken, who is looking at getting this done too. So he and I would be interested in feedback regarding the UK options as he will do his via the NHS. So far I have identified these surgeons and hospitals from previous post:-

Roger Ackroyd at Sheffield

Mr Ahmed at Charing Cross Hospital (London and Charing Cross Hospital is the home of Imperial Weight Centre UK's first Academic Health Science Centre (AHSC) and the largest trust in the country)

Mr Ammori at Manchester

Mr Cheruvu at University Hospital North Staffordshire

Mr Jain at Luton hospital

Perhaps we can add to this list and get feedback and backgrounds on these surgeons regarding their experience, number of staple lines, leak rates etc?

All the best to all,

Jane

Hello to all,

Mr Ammori did my sleeve in Manchester and I couldn't be happier. Apart from a 50lb weight loss in just 11 weeks. After the surgery I had very little pain, no nasty staples or stitches to be removed afterwards, no catheter and no drainage tubes, just 5 neat little wounds covered with steri-strip and waterproof plasters.

I paid ?9,500 privately with "Healthier Weight". That was with a discount of ?1,000 I got sent as a December special offer.

I would highly recommend Mr. Ammori to anyone.

love

Sandra x

Hi All,

Although this is my first post on the site, I have been using the site for the last 4 months or so. I had a sleeve on the NHS at the Luton & Dunstable in February of this year. Whilst I do not regret having this elective surgery, it has been extremely difficult not least because I discovered that I am lactose intolerant and was re-admitted because of severe pain and dehydration. Most of my difficulties have resolved themselve and whilst many sleevers experience no pain, this is a major operation and I would advise others that we are all different and there is no way to predict outcomes, you just have to roll with the punches.

In response to the messages of Bookleen and Jane_J, I would comment the following

Drugs

My Protein daily pump inhibitor is 60mg Nexium per day. I was on 30mg Lansoprazole but this was changed by the hospital. I believe Nexium is less common in the UK as it is very expensive (pharmacist won't tell me how much) but is more effective. I am unaware of a requirement to be weaned off these drugs and as far as I am aware will stop taking Nexium 3 months after my operation.

I currently take Iron daily but that will be reviewed 1 year post op and I have been told that I will not require Vitamin B12 shots or daily multi-vitamins as I am now on a "normal diet".

I was intially given calcuim but told to stop taking these as they are not necessary.

I suffered from a lot of pain post op, and took and still do occassionally take Tramadol which is a strong pain killer.

I was on tablets for high blood pressure but this has resolved itself post op after 5 weeks so I do not take anything.

food

I use the word normal because the reality is that my relationship with food is different and my main focus is eating sufficient Protein each day (I had chicken for Breakfast this morning). This is made more difficult because in addition to being unable to tolerate any form of milk whether soya, rice, oats, I can no longer eat butter or any dairy derieved fats. I hope this will pass in time, but don't know. Crackers and a slice of toast is ok, but normal bread leaves me very bloated like having a brick in my stomach. Vegetables, well don't eat them because I would have to eat less protein to them in. fruit, only fruit juice. Tried lettuce and peeled cucumber yesterday. Think they went down okay.

It is recommended that I should eat 50g of protein per day which if you can tolerate milk is pretty easy. You will find that it is your protein levels which you focus on not calories. Many of the products which our US comrades refer to are whey based products which equivalents are available widely in the UK.

NHS Hospitals

As I mentioned my op was at Luton & Dunstable which has a very large obesity practice with about 4/5 bariatric surgeons and a large team of dieticians, bariatric nurses, a GP, psychologists and others. I believe that this practice has been going for some time and they have been awarded a marking of Excellent for their work. Mr Jain whilst not my consultant is lovely and very caring (wonderful beside manner), I would prefer not comment on the others including my own consultant.

My impression is that the sleeve is less common not because it is not effective but as many folks requiring weight loss surgery have diabetes as a co-morbitity, they are given a gastric bypass not sleeve as it seems to resolve this condition almost immediately. I was unusual given my pre-op BMI of over 50 not to have diabetes so I had a choice of which surgery I could have, however this is not the case I believe for most patients at the L&D.

I would make the following observation that suffice it to say that with the likely budget cuts to come following the election, getting this surgery on the NHS is likely to become more difficult. The L&D has its own protocol for deciding which referral patients are put forward for actual surgery and meeting one of the surgeons which includes the requirement to loose 5% of your body weight over period of up to 9 weeks. Failure to achieve this can result in being removed from the list. Whether this is also true of other hospitals I do not know.

The pre and post op follow up does take a lot of time, but it is thorough and any problems are fully investigated, I have had both an CT scan and endoscope to investigate problems. All the surgeons also have private practices at the Spire Hospital in Harpenden, which is just outside Luton and I understand that the pre and post aftercare follows the same structure as their NHS work.

I understand that there is an establish team at the Charing Cross Hospital in London.

hair Loss

Although I have not fully started to loose my hair, my hairdresser has commented on the fact that my hair has changed in the 7 weeks between appointments. It seems that Hair loss is not unique to this surgery but is possible after any major operation.

Advice

I would advise anyone about to have a sleeve to keep a diary of everything they eat and drink post op. Doesn't need to be anything fancy but it made it easier when I had post op issues to review what I had consumed and any changes than trying to remember.

Also do not underestimate the effect of the operation on your cognitive skills. You will find thinking takes longer and even that you may speak more slowly. As for remembering things you will forget so get used to writing things down. It will pass as your diet improves but it is something that does not seem to be mentioned much on the site. I did come across a Bariatric Surgery Guide produced by the North Shore Medical Center in the US. Found it very comprehensive and it deals with many of the challenges your new life presents. It is far better than anything I have received here in the UK.

Dear Jane_j, Cherrydrop, Yorkshire pudding and Everyone else reading this!

Many Thanks for your lovely long and detailed replies. I intend to re-read and refer to them many times over the coming weeks.

I am booked for surgery in Belgium for next Monday, 26th April. I will be travelling over on Sunday morning, having surgery on Monday and flying home on Friday. Of course this might all change with the volcanic ash and flight disruptions! I opted to stay an extra night in Belgium just to increase my confidence.

I am going with S.O.S.which is a U.K. company. I had very little advice from them yet but I believe I will come home with a little booklet with all the details in it. At least I hope I will.

I am taking 2 weeks holiday leave from work and hope to be able to return then without the need to have certified sick leave. Perhaps, this might be a bit ambitious?

Regarding pain medication, I would like to bring some over myself in case I don't get enough there. I may not use it , but I would feel more secure with a little stashed away in reserve. What pain killer could I use in the early days that won't damage my poor little stomach?

I am very sorry to hear that you, Yorkshire pudding had such a difficult time. I hope it will be plain sailing for you from now on. I take your point about poor concentration. It's great to have some plans already made and not to have to think and work things out when you are not feeling good or in pain or discomfort of any sort. That is why I intend to buy a selection of Protein drinks to have ready when I come home.

I was wondering if anyone has tried those Very Low Calorie Diet sachets that are all inclusive e.g. Celebrity Slim, Lipotrim, Target Slim or Slim Fast? Would any of those be suitable?

Wishing you all a very successful weight loss and looking forward to staying in touch.

Regards,

Bookleen

Bookleen,

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

However regarding your return to work. A note of caution. You will be unable to drive for 4 weeks post surgery no matter how well or otherwise you feel. This is major abdominal surgery and your GP should confirm this but your motor insurance will not be valid in the event of an accident.

Whilst you have made plans for 2 weeks absence, also make backup arrangements should you be unable to return to work. I am in the fortunate position not to work but none the less had to have my mother in law and husband available as I was unable to do much at home and climbing the stairs was exhausting.

The Tramadol prescribed by my GP comes in a 'melts' form which dissolves on the tongue and does not need Water. It works like an opiate but without the side effects and also does not cause problems with your new stomach. You may find that however that your GP won't prescribe until you return home. To be honest, your new best friend will be your GP so I would advise you to keep them abreast of what you are doing and try and build a good relationship with them as they are your local lifeline especially as you are having your op abroad.

food wise, the liquid phase is the hardest. Do remember Complan comes in a variety of flavours including chicken. There was an organic chicken Soup you make in a cup by Anthony Worall Thompson I bought in Asda which is high in Protein relative to other items and did not taste unpleasent. Even chicken Bovril has Protein and is a simple and pleasent alternative to coffee. You will find that most tin Soups have little or no protein in them but just keep reading the labels. The alternative is to get friends and family visitors to bring you some home made Soup far nicer than anything you can buy. Even food like cauliflower cheese can be pureed down and loosen with chicken stock. A jewish friend brought me some amazing chicken soup and you find that friends will want to be supportive and this is a good way to get them involved in your new stomach.

Hi Bookleen

I wish you the very best of luck with your surgery. Yorkshire pudding has a good point about the driving especially in regards to your insurance cover. However I was told I could drive after two weeks. I work from home so it wasn't a problem.

You won't be able to take whole tablets for a week or so after surgery, but luckily I found that 2 paracetamol crushed up and eaten with a teaspoon or yogurt was all I needed for pain relief. Aside from the paracetamol, try and arrange to get any other medications you are on in tablet form before you go and check with your GP that they can be crushed. I nearly went out of my mind without my anti depressants for 3 days until I could arrange to get them in tablet form.

Also, do get your stock of Protein Shakes in, the link below in strawberry and banana are my favourites, from holland and barrett:-

Holland and Barrett - Product details for whey Protein

Another firm favourite that I lived on the first week is Petits Filous Frubes Strawberry & Raspberry Pouches, I got mine in Sainsbury's they are for children but I found them really handy and kept a few in my bag at all times.

The Protein and the frubes were all I ate for the first few days, I then added homemade finely blended vegetable Soup, if you're away cuppa Soups so long as you strain them (so there's no bits) might be an idea to take with you.

I hope all this helps,

love and best wishes

Sandra

Hi there. I couldn't have my vsg done on the NHS in Wales, despite diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnoea! Op done in Swansea 21/02/10. 42 pounds lost in 8 weeks. Now off one diabetic drug, about to come off a blood pressure tablet and waiting for a sleep apnoea reassment.

Hello Everyone and Welcome Paul5678,

Thanks for all the advise and useful tips. I will use this weekend to stock up on all those ideas.It looks like my flight will go ahead as planned.

I see you are all doing very well and are a great encouragement to me before I start.

Bye for now,

Bookleen