Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chillihot - Welcome to the VST family and thank you for posting - we look forward to following your progress towards surgery and your progress after surgery -- we're here for you anytime you need us. Don't hesitate to ask if you have a question.

Is Mr Ahmed doing yours Chilli? I know of people getting it on the NHS but like you they have other health issues. I was very lucky in getting my revision done on the NHS and the surgeon told me that it would definitely not be offered to me again if I backed out. I didn't have serious health issues but I did have a slipped band that was causing me a lot of pain and discomfort as well as well constant vomiting as a result of the reflux. I had had surgery the previous year on a huge abdominal hernia so perhaps the PCT reckoned that it was in their best interest to fund the revision rather than me regaining all my lost weight and having further hernia problems. I was lucky anyway as here in Sheffield no one, without other health issues, is considered for bariatric surgery with a BMI of under 50!

Hi Hyacinth, not seen you for a while. You have really been through it lately haven't you? That was my worst nightmare having a cold before my surgery date. I hope you finally get your surgery in Jan though and can be on your way. It must be so frustrating for you xxx

Yeah Mr Ahmed Ahmed is doing the surgery I met him two weeks ago he is a really nice man and seems convinced he ''will be in and out in 40 minutes ''

which was a plus as far as I was concerned as I don't want to be under general anaestetic any longer than necessary been today to pick up my spirometer it is not as easy as i thought

also had a doctors app this morn as i thought i had an ear infection !!!!!!!

panic !!! but no just eczema ....only me could eczema in her ears too !!!

Good luck chilli, I will send you positive vibes tomorrow. Jane x

Hello fellow Brits...

I am due to have my Sleeve in April (cross fingers, God willing, touch wood). I am from London and a King's patient.

Snow x

Hi Snow,

Good news, the time to April will pass quickly and by the end of 2010 you will have a whole new life as a much thinner person.

Jane

Well tomorrow is the big day ......excited , scared and nervous but mainly excited

Hi Chillihot,

How are you getting on a month out from the op?

Jane x

Hi Snow,

Welcome to VST! You will find lots of support and useful info here.

Hi Chilli,

Ditto Jane. Not been here for a while so may have missed your updates. Hope you are doing ok.

Helen x

HI all yeah I am doing great surgery went fine no complications now 6 weeks post op feeling fab ! and 45 lbs lighter forever I cannot believe the changes that are happening to me at a rate of knots I can see my feet again whilst standing on them , the towel wraps all the way round me now and I have collar bones and ribs .......loving my sleeve it was the best decision I have ever made !!

Good luck in April Snowcrystal you will be amazed at the results and surprised at how quickly the time will come round till surgery my advice is wean yourself off fizzy drinks nowit will be less of a wrench after surgery

Thanks for the support

Elaine x

Hi.

I hope you all don't mind me comming on here but it seems a great place to meet people that have or are going to have gasteric surgury. I am going to have a Sleve Gasterectomy on Wednesday ( 27th) and I have to admit that I'm getting slightly nervous about the whole thing. I am hoping that it will be keyhole and not open surgury.

Does anyone have any advice for after the surgury regarding eating and recovery etc.

Regards

Matt

HI Matt welcome!

Advice - take it slow, follow Doctors advice, sip drinks and never eat and drink together but everyone is different and you will be amazed at the things that happen to you after surgery good luck with your surgery my thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Hi Matt,

Welcome to VST. I'm in Sheffield too - whereabouts are you? It's quite normal to feel nervous but Mr Ackroyd is an excellent surgeon with an equally excellent reputation. He has operated on me three times and I have always felt very safe in his hands. You will find loads of information on here regarding diet etc. and the dietician will see you in hospital to go through it all. I wouldn't worry too much about keyhole versus open surgery. Mr Ackroyd will do as he considers necessary. I had open surgery as I needed my ab muscles repaired at the same time and it probably only delayed my recovery by a week or so. Don't worry about that right now. I am sure you will be fine as long as you do as you're told and will make a good recovery. How are you doing with the pre-op diet?

Helen

Hi Matt,

Welcome to VST. I'm in Sheffield too - whereabouts are you? It's quite normal to feel nervous but Mr Ackroyd is an excellent surgeon with an equally excellent reputation. He has operated on me three times and I have always felt very safe in his hands. You will find loads of information on here regarding diet etc. and the dietician will see you in hospital to go through it all. I wouldn't worry too much about keyhole versus open surgery. Mr Ackroyd will do as he considers necessary. I had open surgery as I needed my ab muscles repaired at the same time and it probably only delayed my recovery by a week or so. Don't worry about that right now. I am sure you will be fine as long as you do as you're told and will make a good recovery. How are you doing with the pre-op diet?

Helen

Thanks Helen. I am in the north of Sheffield ( just off Junction 36 of the M1). To be honest, the pre-op diet is fine and I have found it easier than I thought it would be. It's getting slightly boring now (theres only so many flavours of yoghurt you can have). I have lost about 12lbs and my energy levels have increased which I am really pleased with.

I have every faith in Mr Ackroyd but just naturally nervous. Anyway onwards and upwards......:smile:

I will let you all know how I get on.....

Hello All

I've only just found this corner or vertical sleeve talk but wanted to say a big Hello:biggrin0: to all fellow Brits.

I'm in Prestatyn north wales and had my surgery in Manchester on 23rd January 2010 with Dr Ammori.

I'm doing ok so far, I've lost two stone already so I must be doing something right!

love to all

Sandra x

Hi Both,

Just been sleeved, 12 days post op. Did either of you get any Protein advice as to what powder supplements you should get. I haven't been told anything like that and have had only real info from this site, from my new found friends across the pond. I am just starting mushies but am concerned about the protein especially as I want to limit the Hair loss and saggy skin. I was sleeved under the NHS as well, however believe I am one of the first at my hospital, they have only had funding since February I believe.

They didn't tell me not to bath only shower for 6 weeks, they allowed me to drink coffee from day 1 after surgery and told me just to take a Multivitamin but never mentioned anything about hairloss, slimes or protein supplements. The dietician hasn't even got a paper on the sleeve, she gave me one for the band and said "just follow that, it's similar, were still working on one for the sleeve". She didn't even give me any guidance on how long I have to stay on mushies before I can move on, they just said liquid for 10 to 14 days. What made me really laugh they said yoghurt but no bits..the hospital didn't have any so they then said oh that's fine then eat that??. Thank goodness this surgery has been around in the US alot longer and there is this site to help people like me fumbling around in the dark lol.