Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone sorry they had the VSG surgery?

Wow! This is the first time I've heard of people who REGRET the sleeve surgery. I have suffered from depression and bipolar disorder since high school. I've been concerned that I may have a really hard time coping after surgery. Also, I get urppy a lot, which is one reason I didn't pick the band because the mere THOUGHT of having a foreign thing in me made me nauseated all on its own.

What if this surgery ruins my life? What if it creates a life of wooziness and being sick or uncomfortable. Wasa? Elisabeth? Anyone? Do you have some advice?

Thanks,

Rose

Sleeve surgery date- 8/7/2009

You know, I really don't bother with regrets. In March, 2006, I got the band and it turned out to be a disaster in terms of my quality of life. However, I went into that surgery excited that I finally found a tool that would help be lose, and keep off, weight. While I never achieved restriction, I did force myself to keep working to try and make the band work. Through diet and exercise alone, I lost 70 pounds. The band failed me so I have no regrets of something I had no control over.

VSG surgery was something I looked into and researched for a year prior to me having the procedure. The RN in me looked into the anatomical parts of the procedure and the food addict in me examined the type of eater I am. I eat too much good food. I bake cakes, Cookies, etc., all the time and have no desire to eat them. The same is true for ice-cream and potato chips, etc. I LOVE bread. Give me a loaf of hot crusty bread and butter and I am in heaven. LOL. For that reason, bread is not in my house. Out of house, out of my belly!

I know malabsorptive procedures are not for me. I needed a restrictive procedure that worked. The band didn't work for me but it does for others. When I took the first sip of Water post-op from VSG, I knew I got a procedure that could work for me. "Could" is an important word because all surgeries could work or they could fail. I am working to do my part because the VSG definitely did its part. Some people lose 20-30 pounds in a month. I lost 25 in 2 months. Regrets? No! I'm no longer 30 or 40 years old and I'm having 2 knees replaced in Sept. I know I am eating right and exercising with a personal trainer to the best of my ability so what do I have to regret? My goal is to get to a healthy weight and, as long as I get there, I'm happy with the scale showing a consistent downward trend.

Comparisons to others is not a good thing and looking back and regretting is pointless. You can't change history but you can learn from it. So, I learned from the band surgery and am loving the sleeve but it's a learning experience. I do know, I have no regrets.

That's a great way to explain it Elisabeth and so very true. I never had the band; however, I intend to make the sleeve work for me and as long as the scale keeps going down, I will be happy. I, too, am no longer young and if I can lose 2-3 lbs a week, I will be very happy with that loss.

I don't have bread in my house either for the exact same reason ... given my choice between sweets and hot bread with butter I'll choose the bread and butter every time...especially if it's warm sourdough bread.

I also prefer fruits over sweets, especially strawberries, bananas and watermelon - however, bananas have a ton of carbs and watermelon has a high glycemic count ... so even eating "healthy" too much of a good thing, can be a bad thing, if that makes sense.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches